Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#74222 - 23/02/2002 05:14 Playlist Navigation
CrashLander
stranger

Is there a way to advance to the next playlist (folder) without having to go back to the beginning of all playlists? Like on a CD changer, you have disc + & - and track + & -. On the Rio Car player, all you have is the track + & -. Is there a way to set up a button to take you to the next playlist?

#74223 - 23/02/2002 10:16 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: CrashLander]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Not strictly, no. Once you've selected some music, the car player doesn't know which playlist it originally came from. Thus, it can have no concept of next/previous playlist.

However, if you're running v2.0beta, you _can_ navigate to the last selected item in the menu. This will allow you to jump to the playlist you last selected, so you can get to the next/previous one relatively easily.

To do it:

1. Press down once to get to the menu. "Playlists" will be selected.
2. Hold the down button. It will jump to the last item you selected.

#74224 - 24/02/2002 14:29 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: Roger]
CrashLander
stranger

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

#74225 - 10/03/2002 06:17 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: CrashLander]
CrashLander
stranger

OK, well, not exactly, but sort of.

This requires six button presses, including one long one. This could be very hazardous while driving. I want a single button press to play the next playlist.

Also, it seems odd that the player stops playing at the end of each playlist, instead of continuing with the next one. Does a CD changer stop playing at the end of each CD? Of course not - that would make the whole thing useless.

It seems that the only way for this to play continuously is to play the entire contents of the drive as one playlist, which makes it impossible to go from one artist to the next without forwarding past each song. If you happen to be listening to the Beatles at the moment, you're doomed.

I don't want the player to stop playing until I turn it off, and I want to be able to go to the next artist with a single button press, otherwise this thing is pretty much useless to me.

I know that sounds harsh, but I'm talking about something that CD changers have done for years, and is only a result of the way the unit is programmed.

I did try programming a macro to accomplish this, but it only works sometimes. Not a good thing when you're driving in the Rockies or in New York City!

This is my macro, using the tuner button on the remote:

[ir_translate]
tuner=pause,bottom,bottom.L,top,right,bottom,bottom

The problem is that the time the bottom.L is held for may or may not be long enough for the player to come up with the last playlist selected, in which case the macro proceeds to put the unit into random mode instead.

I am hoping that there is a solution to this problem - maybe I'm missing something.

I am totally amazed with this stereo in every other regard. The story of Hugo deciding to design his own stereo is amazing, and one that will play anything you could ever want to listen to at a moments notice even more amazing. But it shouldn't stop playing until it's done!

Sorry for being long winded, but this is very important to me.

Thanks for your time and help - and thank you Hugo, Empeg, Rio, Mark, Tony, etc... - fine job!

#74226 - 10/03/2002 11:16 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: CrashLander]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Nice macro. Good idea. =]

#74227 - 10/03/2002 12:06 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: CrashLander]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You can try adding some "null" buttons (or even null.L) to the middle of the macro sequence to pace things out some more..

#74228 - 10/03/2002 12:21 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: CrashLander]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I agree (to a certain extent -- I don't think I'd be quite as harsh).

IMHO, a lot of the issues people have would be solved if the player remembered the original playlists that were added to the playing order, so that the playing order would have a list of songs and other lists, which could contain the same. I don't know if that sort of recursion was deemed too resource-consuming or if it was a design choice, but if it remembered that you had added the entire Beatles catalog, it would be much easier to skip from ``Meet the Beatles'' to ``Abbey Road''.

Of course, that could conceivably play havoc with shuffles if not handled properly, and it is a big deal, but it's something that I would definitely like to see in the post-2.0 world.

#74229 - 12/03/2002 05:41 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
CrashLander
stranger

Well, the null spacing didn't work, because the problem seems to be that the bottom button needs to be held longer than the bottom.L command waits. It only works about half the time.

The best I could come up with is to have a long press send a macro to take the unit back out of shuffle mode, then try again. Not an optimal solution, but much better - almost excellent.

[ir_translate]
tuner.L=bottom,right,bottom,bottom ;take player back out of shuffle
tuner=bottom,bottom.L,top,right,bottom,bottom ;advance to next playlist

I don't understand why the unit is programmed to quit playing at the end of each folder/playlist, even though there may be a months worth of music left waiting to be played. It should just keep playing indefinitely, untill you tell it to stop.

It should be possible to quickly and easily navigate through the music on the player without even looking at the display. So far, I find it to be very frustrating, and unsafe while driving. What do you folks do on those roads where there is no speed limit? You can't exactly look down at the player for 10 seconds while your getting your moneys worth out of your Jaguar, just to play the next song on your stereo.

I'm sorry to sound like I'm complaining, I just want to listen to some Rock 'n Roll! This is an amazing unit - having your entire music collection at your fingertips in your car is mindblowing. I just think it could be a little easier to use.

#74230 - 12/03/2002 11:15 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: CrashLander]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't understand why the unit is programmed to quit playing at the end of each folder/playlist, even though there may be a months worth of music left waiting to be played. It should just keep playing indefinitely, untill you tell it to stop.

It DOES do that. It does PRECISELY that. All you need to do is press the bottom button on the faceplate ("down") three times.

That's all. Down down down. Then the player will play everything and it won't stop. That's the way it's meant to be played. Give it a try.

#74231 - 12/03/2002 12:27 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Tony, to be perfectly frank, I'm tired of you telling us that the way you use your player is the way it's meant to be used. One of the main features of the empeg is that it's very versatile, and you seem to be ignoring that all the time these days. I personally (most of the time) want to listen to my music as I dictate, not in a random order. I can come up with many times where I might want to skip to the nexl album/playlist, but you keep arguing that I should never want to do that. It's infuriating.

Please, feel free to suggest your way (or new ways) to use the player. But stop trying to convince us that your way is the ``right'' way.

``Doctor, it hurts when I do this!''
``Don't do that!''

#74232 - 12/03/2002 12:40 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Bitt, you are correct that the player software is versitile and that fact is brought up less frequently than it could be. However, in Tony's defense, I think he was refering to a feature that was designed into the player and how it was designed to work. Similar to how one couldn't argue with the fact that the rotary knob is MEANT to be rotated to change volume yet is versitile enough to do many other things. Certain features and time savers were designed into the player and I think it would be fair to assume that Tony watched much of its developement as a member of this board and is simply reiterating what he saw develope from the days of the pre 1.00 betas.

#74233 - 12/03/2002 12:55 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I guess what I'm saying is that if that's the way it's meant to be played, then why did they bother with letting us have and select playlists at all?

My problem is that Tony is trying to answer a question about how to do something by telling the asker not to do it. Hardly helpful.

Which is not to say that Tony's not immensely helpful the vast majority of the time, but it's really starting to get on my nerves that any query or suggestion about how actually playing the songs that one wants to hear is met not only with ``try it this other way'', which would be fine, but with the apparent statement of ``you don't want to do it that way'', which is asinine because, if he didn't, he wouldn't have asked.

#74234 - 12/03/2002 13:01 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was responding to his specific comment that the player would stop playing at the end of a playlist, and his desire to have the player play his entire collection. I was showing him how to have the player play his entire collection without stopping.

I was not attempting to say that a "next playlist" feature is undesirable. I think this would be a neat feature if it could be implemented. I was simply responding to the single specific comment that I quoted in orange above my reply.

#74235 - 12/03/2002 13:02 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but I thought that the question to which Tony replied was "how do I make it not stop playing once it reaches the end of a current playlist?" Tony's answer (as I interpretted it) was that playing the root playlist will allow the player to essentially play playlist after playlist without stopping. This doesn't fix the original problem of not being able to switch to the next playlist, but it does get around the problem of having the player stop. He wasn't telling the person to enable shuffle and hit down 3 times.

EDIT: Tony and I were typing at the same time - he just clarified.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (12/03/2002 13:04)

#74236 - 12/03/2002 13:15 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Fair enough. Maybe I've misinterpreted more than once, as this isn't something that came upon me all of a sudden with this one post. If so, I sincerely apologize. I just don't one person's bias to hold more credit than it should simply becuse he is so helpful in so many other areas.

#74237 - 12/03/2002 13:39 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Maybe I've misinterpreted more than once, as this isn't something that came upon me all of a sudden with this one post.

No, you haven't misinterpreted me. There are many times when I have specifically said, "Don't do it that way, do it my way instead." So your point is valid.

My purpose for those posts is to defend the player's design. Not to say that someone is wrong for wanting it to work differently, I'm merely saying that it was meant to work a certain way. It may be very flexible, but it's only flexible within its design constraints.

If they kept adding features every time somone wanted it to work differently, the player software would be a complete mess. Any mature UI design is a careful balance that falls somwhere in between the two extremes of the designer's original intent and user's wildest pie-in-the-sky expectations. My purpose is to try to steer new users toward the "designer intent" side of the equation.

#74238 - 12/03/2002 13:42 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Actually we set out to design a toaster, that's feature creep for you.

Rob

#74239 - 12/03/2002 13:47 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And a damn fine toaster it is.

Shaking the crumbs out of the case is problematic, but I can live with that.

#74240 - 12/03/2002 15:10 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

What he's really asking for, is something I would crave as well: dispense entirely with the "replace playlist" feature (the default, damnit!), and have the player *always* do insert or append when selecting a playlist from the menus. That way, once the selected playlist finishes, the player picks up where it left off.

Or, alternatively, have the player just continue with the next playlist in the database when the "current" playlist "ends".

Yes, a lot of the time the existing software has no concept of "next playlist", but it should have!

I suppose we could have have Hijack look for "End Of PlayList" and then do something sensible about it..

Cheers

#74241 - 12/03/2002 15:30 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Mark, to be perfectly frank, I'm tired of you telling us the way that you want to use your player is the way it's meant to be used. One of the main features of the empeg is that it's perfect, and you seem to be ignoring that all the time these days. I personally (most of the time) want my music to be followed by hours of silence, not by another playlist. I can come up with many times where I might want to enjoy silent meditation, but you keep arguing that I should never want to do that. It's infuriating.

Rob

#74242 - 12/03/2002 15:33 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: rob]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Well, there you have it Tony.. we've been told (by two different people).

Cheers

#74243 - 12/03/2002 15:54 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

ROFL

#74244 - 12/03/2002 15:59 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: mlord]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
LOL... that didn't go where i expected it too.... =D

#74245 - 12/03/2002 16:07 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: rob]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Pfftph.

#74246 - 12/03/2002 19:34 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: mlord]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
> Yes, a lot of the time the existing software has no concept of "next playlist", but it should have!

No, it shouldn't.

The way the player works now is meaningful and clear, at this regard.

If I decide I want to listen to Pink Floyd playlist, it means that I want to listen to Pink Floyd playlist. Period. I does not mean I want to listen to Pink Floyd AND something else, whatever that something esle may be.

If I decide I want to listen to Pink Floyd playlist and something else, I'll select Pink Floyd Playlist and something else. It's easy to do also while driving.

I do prefer that the player stops rather than it continues with something I may not want or like or feel like listening to, since THAT is disturbing much more than unwanted silence, which you can easily turn into music in one click. If you happen to listen to something you did not want to, your mood gets changed, the atmosphere gets changed, it is frustrating, and annoying, and there is little you can do at that point.

Inserting rather than replacing: Definitely good as is now, too. If you want to CUE something after what you are currently listening, then you most likely have time and you can afford a long press. If you want to replace what you're currently listeing to, it means you want to change NOW, you don't care about waiting the song end, so a simple click is faster and way better.

So, I agree with Rob.

Empeg behavior should stay as is, since empeg is NOT a cd changer and that's one of its strenghts. The way empeg works now is more elegant, refined, respectful of the user than what you are proposing. I do not want a machine that goes in an endless loop, unless when I want it to do so, on specific occasions.

HiJack option: great idea. All OPTIONS, being such, are great ideas: they add extra features without compromising the old ones, and I have really nothing against a feature I will never use

MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#74247 - 12/03/2002 20:19 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: Taym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Maybe I misunderstood this too, but what I propose is not that it automatically play things that you did not select, but, rather, that if you select multiple playlists to play that it remember that it was in playlists and keep that organization, rather than flattening it out to one large list. That would make it easier to listen to all of your Pink Floyd albums in a row, but decide that you don't want to listen to Dark Side of the Moon right now, and skip over it to listen to Wish You Were Here without having to remember that DSotM contains ten tracks, and then pressing the FF button that many times.

#74248 - 12/03/2002 20:28 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
What Bitt wrote makes perfect sense to me and would make for a very powerful addition to the empeg's feature set. It would enable more varied control over the way we play music. And the way I see it, things that go into the player should be about enabling, not "forcing."

I know that if I queue up a few "albums" (actually playlists), I find it a pain in the arse that the player software no longer has any concept of them (all tracks from those selected lists now belong to the new playing dynamic list). This is a fundamental principle of the current operation, so I don't imagine it's an easy change or upgrade.

Bitt, why don't you add a wish item for this, since you've done a nice job of describing one of its primary purposes.

Bruno

#74249 - 12/03/2002 20:38 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If no one can tell me that this is already listed as a wish (is there an internal list akin to the internal bug list for feature requests?) I will do so.

I've never done it before because it seems obvious to me, and I assumed that it would already be on there.

#74250 - 13/03/2002 03:39 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
CrashLander
stranger

Yeah, you guys get the idea! Obviously it should be optional, so if you wanted to listen to one album, say when you're falling asleep, it would end after it's done, but also be able to have it keep playing continuously through several short playlists without stopping, and also be able to skip to the next playlist easily.

Mark hit it right on the head - if Hijack could determine when the end of playlist occurs and start playing the next one, as an optional feature, that would be peachy! My only problem is that I haven't done any programming since BASIC - I wouldn't quite know where to begin. That's why I was hoping somebody else would know what to do. I hate to be a nuisance, but I appreciate all your help!

#74251 - 13/03/2002 04:01 Re: Playlist Navigation [Re: wfaulk]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
wfaulk, I was making a comment on Mark's post, I apologise if I was not clear in that.

At to your specific request, that is keeping the player aware of "playlists" in several occasions, and have fuctions operating on them as a whole (next playlist, skip playlist, etc), well I totally agree and actually the thread of few days ago concerning the concept of "album" that I also was supporting was in the end exactly about that.

Still, in my reply to Mark, I was pointing out someting different, (in reply to what Mark said): I do not want the player to do anything when it reaches the end of playlists, since it is the end of playlists. If I wanted to, I would have done so that that is not the end of the playlists And in this I totally agree with Tony. If you want your player to play endlessly, there are easy ways to do it already now.
And I do not want to change the insert/replace behavior for the reasons I said in my other posts.
These both are things that you were not proposing at all, if I am not mistaken. If I am, sorry about that, but at least I hope it is clear what I meant, now
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >