Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7517 - 04/02/2000 15:31 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: rob]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
If you care about quality you will want your empeg to output 0dB

I know the theory, but I had the amp fitted and they didn't adjust it right. Now that you insist, I'll adjust it.
Sorry for being happy with the way it sound now

#7518 - 04/02/2000 17:40 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: tfabris]
corby
journeyman

We may be getting close here. I have experienced this problem exactly once (using beta 9a), which means that for me it is a very uncommon occurrence.

I was driving, my wife was manning the remote. One of my songs was playing that I wasn't in the mood to listen to, so I reached to the panel and hit the "next song" button at nearly the exact same time as she hit a volume button on the remote. She swears it was the "down" button, but it might be the trauma: lord knows, she hit down quite a bit in the seconds that followed. :)

We all know what happened next: the unit flew into overdrive and ignored all inputs on both the console and the remote. I agree this is a serious bug: there was a very real danger of causing an accident or blowing out my speakers (neither happened: we pulled onto a sidestreet and yanked out the unit).

So could there possibly be a software bug tied into receiving simultaneous input from the different sources (remote IR and console buttons)?

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#7519 - 04/02/2000 17:54 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: corby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Interesting. I just tried inducing the bug with various combinations of IR and front panel input- holding one, pressing the other, releasing one, etc. And I think got it to happen once (in the down direction). But since I can't reproduce it, and I'm not sure what combination of button presses caused it to happen, I can't be certain.

I'll try it some more. If I find out anything else, I'll let you know. Anyone else want to try (with the unit disconnected from its amplifiers, of course)?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#7520 - 05/02/2000 05:50 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: corby]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Sounds more like missed key presses or releases during other activity (playing a beep?)

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#7521 - 05/02/2000 08:11 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Sounds more like missed key presses or releases during other activity (playing a beep?)

Interesting idea. I was able to reproduce it with beeps=off, but you could be on the right track. I once worked on a Quake mod that had a similar problem: Sometimes one of the client commands would get "stuck on" if the "off" command came in the same frame as another command. Our work-around was to send the "off" command twice, but we never actually fixed the bug.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#7522 - 05/02/2000 12:50 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
They're debounced in firmware on the display board. There should never be a case where a button down/up is not sent from the display board to the main board as it just sends changes of state - the problem is if the main board misses the notifications (they come in as simulated IR streams).

Hugo

#7523 - 08/02/2000 07:44 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: altman]
Felix
new poster

Hugo,

this sounds exactly like the bug report I sent to [email protected] on january 25th. It never happened before Beta9a, but by now (still in 9a), I also had the same problem within the playlist menu, but this actually isn't a big deal in there.

Felix

#7524 - 08/02/2000 08:44 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: Felix]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
If it is actually missing button presses/releases, then this is, as I said, has not changed for the last 7ish beta releases.

However, the problem with the volume control is a problem with the way the volume control worked, which has been fixed mostly in 9b, and will be totally fixed in the next version (right John? :) ).

Hugo

#7525 - 09/02/2000 13:37 Re: 9a - In Search Of The Volume [Re: tfabris]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
All,

I managed to reproduce this twice, without using the remote. I'm on Beta9b.

I turned on the unit, selected a playlist and hit next-track. This caused the volume to go up very fast.

This seems like a resonably frequent bug too.

I've never seen this behaviour before today.

Just my 0.02

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2