Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#76970 - 01/03/2002 18:28 BMW 3-series
ctmeth
new poster

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
I just went to an installer to get my brand new empeg installed into a 2001 3-series, and they told me that the only way to do the install would be re-wiriing all the speaker wires ( They said that BMW uses a single ground wire to connect all the speakers, and that a head-unit such as the empeg would need to have the speakers re-wired in order for it to run.) Furthermore they said that the empeg would have to be custom installed due to the fact that it's a pull out unit and the way that the BMW kit works is to secure the head-unit around the outside trim thus preventing it from being removed. Also they quoted me a price of nearly $350 for the install.
I love my baby, but I unfortunately am not technically inclined when it comes to car stereo installs. If someone with more technical know-how could help guide me in the right direction about whether or not all these steps are really neccessary to install the empeg, and also if $350 is a reasonable price to pay I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Collin

#76971 - 02/03/2002 17:41 Re: BMW 3-series [Re: ctmeth]
AlB

Loc: SF
Sounds fair based on the fact that I tried with my 2000 X-5 and it is nearly impossible with the manual to get the radio out then the hole left is not std size and you have to wire EVERYTHING separately (maybe you could use the speakers!) There is an adaptor (www.ssiamerica.com ) for certain BMW models for access Aux in thru the CD changer Email them to see if it works on yours. This is the only known crack in the BMW data bus arrangement. Rumuors are the Phat noise (now Kenwood ) mp3 system will interface at some point but as they say It's not an Empeg. Good luck and post if you run into info on adaptors or finish the install

1995 m3 (not installed yet...single DIN)

#76972 - 03/03/2002 22:53 Re: BMW 3-series [Re: ctmeth]
omarkhayyam
journeyman

Loc: Chicago
I would say $350 is cheap. When I had my unit installed, it cost around $500. Of course, they were also replacing all my speakers and putting in an amp, but it sounds like your install might actually be more complex.

Make sure you go to a premium installer with a nice car like yours, it will save you a lot of hassle (and probably money) in the long run.

-Adam

#76973 - 04/03/2002 01:46 Re: BMW 3-series [Re: ctmeth]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If these people know what they're doing, and they can get the thing working properly and sounding/looking good, then $350.00 sounds like a very good and fair price.

I'd make sure they communicate clearly with you and that you know exactly what they intend to do to make your installation look good before giving them the go ahead.

#76974 - 04/03/2002 06:40 Re: BMW 3-series [Re: ctmeth]
NicolasW
journeyman

Loc: USA
See http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/stereosaga.html for an in depth look at upgrading E46 stereo's.

Good luck!
Wes - 95 M3