Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77144 - 02/03/2002 12:16 Network Synch not working (any empeg version)
TheTwin314
journeyman

Loc: Kansas
ok, this will be kind of long, but here goes.

First, here's the whole story, when I first got my empeg I uploaded about 15 gigs of mp3's to it over ethernet with 2.0 Beta7 no problems. well then I ripped all my CD's and properly Tagged all my downloaded mp3's and wanted to do a fresh upload of everything (~34 gigs).

Vital info:
Rio MarkIIa
Windows 2000
Linksys 10/100 NIC

so with 2.0 Beta-11 and Hijack 2.24 I deleted all of the old playlists and songs through emplode, and then dropped all my new folders into emplode and started to do a sync. After a while the screen went blank on the empeg (looks like the known beta-11 lock up bug) and emplode would no longer increment which song it was downloading, and there was no network traffic. so pull the plug to the player and reset it, kill emplode and resynch, delete all the playlists that did not get uploaded. Then put 1.03 consumer image on the player and used the 1.03 emplode software to do the same thing.

after noticing that the songs were transferring not locally but actually going over my ISP's network I stopped the download. decided to give 2.0 Beta 11 another try (it's just so much better than 1.03) and try the same thing.

try again with beta 11 no hijack, this time it started the upload fine, after a while though I noticed emplode was no longer incrementing uploaded songs, and there was no network traffic, however the empeg screen was not blank, it still displayed the "synchronising" logo, so the player did not lock up. pulling the network connection and putting it back in did not fix anything.

so back to 1.03 this time it is uploading locally so no problems there. I figure 1.03 will work so I go to bed, wake up this morning and the same thing, emplode is stuck, there is not network traffic and the player displays "synchronising" as usual. I wish I had been running a network sniffer program while it was doing this, but I wasn't. it seems that somehow something lost the connection and failed to regain it.

Windows by default likes to set the properties of the NIC to default to "allow the computer to turn off the card to save power" so I always unselect that, double checked just to be sure that that wasn't what was happening and it wasn't

I'm doing the upload again now only using USB with 1.03 so far so good.

I hope I included everything.

I'm not sure who's at fault here, whether it's emplode, the rio car, or windows, so I haven't submitted a bug to the empeg guys yet.

let me know if anybody needs any more info, like I said I tried to include everything, but I'm sure I forgot something.

Eli

#77145 - 04/03/2002 19:11 Re: Network Synch not working (any empeg version) [Re: TheTwin314]
TheTwin314
journeyman

Loc: Kansas
well USB worked fine, no problems,

does anybody have any sort of insight as to why this would happen? every happen to anybody else? seems strange that it would be happening to me only.

Is there any sort of 'messages' file that is created on the empeg, that would allow me to see if there were any messages received while it lost connection?

thanks
Eli