Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7866 - 03/04/2000 14:01 Another volume bug report with some new info.
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Today at lunch I had the volume bug happen to me. I was NOT holding down the button, though. I simply regular-pressed the left-hand button to make it restart the current track, and the volume ran away, downwards, until the unit was silent. Pressing the right-hand button once made it instantly go back from silence to very quiet (whatever that number is, -63-something db).

I checked to be sure that the buttons were not sticking. They weren't, at least when I checked them afterwards. I guess it's conceivable that the button might have physically stuck (and then never stuck again thereafter), but I don't think so.

Software: 10a, no special compiled kernels or anything.
Song: Madonna, "Ray of Light", 128k fixed bitrate, somewhere in the middle of the song.
Frequency: Happened only once. Could not reproduce afterwards.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7867 - 03/04/2000 15:27 Re: Another volume bug report with some new info. [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Another data point for you, the only time I have had a button run-away (it was on 10a) was when navigating the playlist menu. The unit was not playing (it had got to the end of the playlist), there was no frantic clicking going on, I just clicked "up" onces and it ran away, cancelling several menu levels before powering off. Everything was working fine when I pressed a button to power it back on.

As I said, I have only had this happen once.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#7868 - 04/04/2000 23:23 Re: Another volume bug report with some new info. [Re: tfabris]
Lord Bleys

and the volume ran away, downwards, until the unit was silent. Pressing the right-hand button once made it instantly go back from silence to very quiet (whatever that number is, -63-something db).

Song: Madonna, "Ray of Light", 128k fixed bitrate, somewhere in the middle of the song

Tony, if I were an empeg player and I were playing Madonna's "Ray of Light" I'd go silent, too. Are you sure this isn't a feature or another of Empeg's user protection implementations? =]

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#7869 - 05/04/2000 08:11 Re: Another volume bug report with some new info. [Re: Lord Bleys]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Tony, if I were an empeg player and I were playing Madonna's "Ray of Light" I'd go silent, too.

No way, man. Ray of Light is an awesome album.

I was never interested in Madonna in the past. There's something different about that album, something special. It's the only Madonna album I own. Something about the birth of her daughter made her change musical directions. That album sounds more like something Peter Gabriel or Tori Amos might create. It's nothing at all like her earlier work.

She even explains the changes in the lyrics on the album, describing how her career used to be all about fame and popularity, but it left her feeling empty. The album is sort of like an announcement of a change in both her life and her career.

Plus, the album is fantastic for testing audio settings. Incredible bass, and amazing analog synthesizer sweeps that cover the whole frequency spectrum. There are moments on that album which will spike the right-hand end of the spectrometer displays on the Empeg.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144