Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#80109 - 13/03/2002 09:02 Annother TT install: questions
dclesse

Loc: Belgium/Luxembourg
I planned to get a TT. read some posts about it, but I've some questions:
Should I take the Bose kit, or do my own installation? (I want a pretty good install: speakers+1 or 2 'boxed subs', with a nice sound quality-I like vibrations;) )
Is the bose kit good enough? price/sound quality/empeg installation easyness
Could I use Bose amp & subwoofer + an other sub, without adding an other amp, or in the case I have to add one, is the installation easy?
ISO connector?
Some install scheme?
All advices are welcome.
Tnx.

#80110 - 13/03/2002 12:42 Re: Annother TT install: questions [Re: dclesse]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
I helped a friend put his empeg into his TT - and my opinion based on that is simply to have as little of the factory system installed as possible. If you plan on doing other work, such as adding the empeg and the subs, you'll find that you need other aftermarket components such as amplifiers, etc. None of this stuff plays nicely with the factory Bose stereo. So if you plan on upgrading, don't spend any money you don't have to.

We did manage to get the empeg working correctly, though it took a lot of toil and trouble to do it. It's the only change he's made, so it's running through the factory "premium" system. I won't knock it too badly, since it sounds better than my Mitsubishi's stock system, but I still thought it was only so-so overall. I'm not sure how any company gets away with calling their stock system a premium system.

So again, if you plan to upgrade any of it, just expect to do all of it, at once. Save all the purchase money that you can to get it done correctly somewhere else. Of course this will depend on your plans - forr example if you plan to lease the car you may want to skip the aftermarket setup alltogether. But if you plan to keep it, I'd recommend what I did with my new Eclipse - within a week of owning it I had the whole interior torn apart and I replaced 100% of the stock sound system from scratch.

#80111 - 14/03/2002 03:23 Re: Annother TT install: questions [Re: tracerbullet]
dclesse

Infact the first goal of my my question was to choose the Bose SS option or not. (about $400).
I'll do the install myself.
Maybe the speakers are really better than the stock ones, and it could make me spare some $.
But if the upgrading is more expensive than a new install, for the same sound quality, I prefer not to take the Bose SS.
The Bose has an stock amp & sub, that's the point. But are they really good enough?

#80112 - 14/03/2002 08:56 Re: Annother TT install: questions [Re: dclesse]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Tracer is referring to my car. I can give you detailed instructions and photos of what to do if you go with the premium system. As for sound... I have a roadster. Road noise, frame squeaks and (on occasion) the top down translates into a pretty lousy listening environment. Audi's 'premium' Bose system is merely okay. I'm a huge music fan, but by no means an audiophile. So it suits my needs. However, if you get the base stock system, you WILL want to replace it.

As for install directly on top of the Bose system... it's a huge pain in the ass, but in the end you'll have a dead stock system with an Empeg. For me it was necessary (I'm leasing) and cheap. SO it's a matter of taste -- if you have extra cash and you will buy the car, I'd say replace the factory system with all new and the Empeg. If you don't have the cash or you are leasing, email me and I'll send you photos and complete instructions on how to get your Empeg in.

Hope this helps!

[edit]
Rereading your post, it's pretty obvious to me that unless you're leasing, you should go with an aftermarket solution. Don't spend an extra dime on Audi/Bose sound, rip out the installation and get what you REALLY want. To be honest, the only thing I regret about leasing my car is my inability to modify it in any real way.
[/edit]

Edited by mafisto (14/03/2002 09:03)

#80113 - 14/03/2002 10:50 Re: Annother TT install: questions [Re: mafisto]
dclesse

Super! I couldn't get a better answer, tnx Paul!
Infact I want also a roadster (I attached de pic), and I'll also lease it. So I'll take the Bose SS!
Of course your pics&tricks are welcome!
My email is [email protected] but maybe you can post them here for other future TT owners (lucky guys! )
Many thanks Paul.

Attachments
78539-TT roadster.jpg (91 downloads)

#80114 - 14/03/2002 10:55 Re: Annother TT install: questions [Re: tracerbullet]
dclesse

Tnx also Greg!