Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#82594 - 20/03/2002 17:25 Visuals
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are many visuals that can have different variations. For instance, on the visual Terra, sometimes the wave is going up and sometimes down. It just randomly picks one or the other when you choose that visual. Pressing Select Mode will also randomly rechoose one of the two. I find the randomness to be annoying. Sometimes I'll have to push Select Mode half a dozen times to get the setting I want. Perhaps it could stay on the same setting until Select Mode is pressed, where it will rotate through the different settings. And it would say:

Visual: Terra - up
Visual: Terra - down

...or something similar. And you could also have an extra setting for when you want it to choose a random setting:

Visual: Terra - random

Just a thought.

#82595 - 20/03/2002 17:33 Re: Visuals [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is a good suggestion.

I, too, would like to see the Select Mode button reseed the visual in a slightly less random fashion. For instance, I often use it to turn off the Trails on Marquesas, but it can take several presses before it does what I want it to do.

Toby, would this be difficult? For the randomization functions, could it temporarily look at what the visual's current state is, and make sure to not randomize it to exactly the same value?

#82596 - 20/03/2002 17:44 Re: Visuals [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I think a good post-2.0 solution to this would be the ability to give each visual various parameters in config.ini or elsewhere. I think this has been discussed previously, but to review... Something like:

[visuals]
visual1=Hula Hoops, speed=5, trails=10
visual2=StarDust: numstars=200, speed=5
visual3=Flancedoor: dancers=mydancers.raw, numdancers=5
visual4=Flancedoor, dancers=myotherdancers.raw, numdancers=8

I think this kind of solution allows for maximum flexibility. SelectMode could still randomize all the various parameters, but having visual presets which you could cycle through would be sweet.

Post 2.0 definitely. Any interesting alphas to tell us about, Tony?