Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#84790 - 08/04/2002 16:46 Tuners! [Re: Satan_X]
AlB

Loc: SF
Wow, we seem closer than the previous "be patient" returns. What can "joe empeg owner" do to help? I have no skills at programming or EE stuff but I want to help. I too am cursed with SDINPRJ syndrome (Single DIN: NPR Junkie), as well as the lesser known SDINGF (Single DIN: Giants Fan). I don't need anything other than AM/FM (no weather,shortwave,CB,Email, Cellular GPS or E.T.)

Thanks to Shonky and Drakino and all who have posted-researched-dreamed-commented. Let us know what we can do, there are some great ideas here, let's keep it going

#84791 - 08/04/2002 18:06 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Satan_X]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I still have received no response from Hugo or Rob so I will just let this run for a week or so. They are probably busy doing other more important stuff (like release 2.0 ).

Really, the ball is in their court. If nothing comes of this I will still be interested in doing my own tuner (of course this may not work real well with the current player software) . It may not necessarily be based on the Microtune module though.

One other option (dare I say it) is to reverse engineer the current one. But I really don't want to offside anyone so I hate that idea a fair amount.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#84792 - 08/04/2002 18:25 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Shonky]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
I think if we present it right and show we will protect their assets, I think we might be able to pull this off. I'm willing to write a letter document our intent and request to talk to them.
If someone can give me any contact information, I'll be more then happy to present it.

#84793 - 08/04/2002 18:32 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Satan_X]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Lets wait a week and see what Hugo has to say on the matter before you pursue your course of action. I'm more concerned with finding someone who will manufacture them for us, since whoever SB used won't do a run of less than 1000.

Sean

#84794 - 08/04/2002 19:02 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Terminator]
Satan_X
enthusiast

no problem.......I wouldnt do anything without approval from you guys......

#84795 - 09/04/2002 00:04 Re: Tuner Update? [Re: MarkH]
The_Optimizer
journeyman

Loc: Texas
In reply to:

If we are talking about a run of 500 units at a factory gate cost of USD 80 to USD 100 I am prepared, in principle, to fund the manufacturing run and deal with the shipping to individual buyers

I am quite certain that funding is the one thing that hasn't been a problem for Rob & co. in their pursuit of a second tuner run. I could write a check today for 50,000 pounds if need be to fund a tuner run, though more likely I'd go in with a couple of my empeg owning co-workers, who could do likewise.,. and I politely let Rob know that a while ago. The impression that I got back was that I was by no means the first to make such an offer.

Don't take that statement as one-upmanship- I'm thrilled to see another person making such an offer to help, and expect that if it ever happens, It'll be a consortium of empeg owners backing the deal.

When talking about such an endeavor though, a few things quickly are noted:

#1) The Pricing would need to be set so that the backers could shoot to make a small return on investment, say 10 to 20%. (* off the top of my head – numbers would need to be crunched)

Now before you all get up in arms over such a capitalist statement, consider these points:

* In an operation such as this, there will be additional operating expenses not predicted ahead of time. This is just a fact of life.
* There will be a small percentage of people who don't follow through on their order.
* Units tested before shipment and found to be DOA/Flawed. These will just have to be eaten.
* A small percentage of tuners will need to be held back as replacement units (exchange) for possible problem units.

Given all that, by shooting for a small profit in the initial business plan, the backers may just even break even - assuming their labor and efforts are basically given for free and everything else goes well.

Also, they can still deliver the goods at the original promised price, and not piss anyone off by having to raise the price (even by a small amount) when the tuners are ready to be shipped and the final numbers can be tallied. People get annoyed if they think they smell bait & switch, even if it is unfounded.

Speaking of the price, we need to know how sensitive prospective buyers would be to small fluctuations in the final price. If shipping, merchant charges, materials and other secondary costs brought the total to $125 per tuner, would everyone still buy? Or would enough people drop to change the feasibility of doing it in the first place?

Just because someone can write the check, it doesn't mean they are in the business of throwing money away. And with that kind of money involved, everyone has to be serious and realistic about costs, commitments, and the amount of sweat that it’s going to take. And you really can’t ask anyone to knowingly take a loss for other people and expect a yes answer.

The upside, of course, is doing it because one has the means by tying up some of their capital for a while to really help out a community and a product that they believe in, and that they consider to be unique, worthwhile, and not likely to be seen again.

And everything just goes better than planned, what’s wrong with the people who helped make it happen being rewarded to a small extent for all the effort they put in?

Also, there is the tax side of things. If it’s going to be run like a business, and reported like a business to the IRS (or the UK counterpart), it sure as heck better be able to show that there was intent to make money or any losses claimed for deduction will be denied – with penalties and interest – in an audit.

Just some things to muse over.. Further discussion and thoughts is always welcome.

#84796 - 09/04/2002 01:28 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Satan_X]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Maybe you wouldn't, but I'm a loose cannon.

http://209.197.83.18/empeg/

I haven't banged on it too hard, but it all seems to work for me. I'm going to bed now.

(BTW, the IP is permanent. It'll be eden2.com in a day or two.)

Let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed/added.

Alex

#84797 - 09/04/2002 06:30 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Alexander]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Good page, I especially like the ability to return to the page and change selections.

FWIW, the small text is quite hard to read on this monitor.
You don't appear to specify a font name so my browser (IE5.5) defaults to Times Roman, where you have font size=1 it's hard to read (bold is worse).

That said, what I know about HTML you could write on a postage stamp so forgive me if I've missed something

#84798 - 09/04/2002 07:02 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: AndrewT]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
OK guys here's the current status I just got from Rob. I hope he doesn't mind my posting the gist (sp?) here.

1) He has been busy which is why he hadn't got back to me which I had already figured.

2) There are options for tuner manufacturing but they won't be explored until an internal run has been completely discounted.

3) He says there are some difficulties with an in-house run that would also affect an external run.

4) He said he had a new avenue to explore when he gets a moment.

So it ain't over yet! I guess we'll have to hang on for a little longer yet before anything really happens.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#84799 - 09/04/2002 07:05 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Shonky]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The difficulties are simply in identifying enough customers to make a run worthwhile. That's what I'm working on.

Rob

#84800 - 09/04/2002 09:02 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: rob]
Satan_X
enthusiast

One important note:

If a run is ever done, I will need the name and address of the person responsable. I have a 6-pack of fine beer I want to send them.

#84801 - 09/04/2002 10:01 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Satan_X]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

And if the person(s) responsible prefer wine, I will gladly provide some fine bottles of wine.

cu,
sven

#84802 - 09/04/2002 10:24 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: rob]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Okay, i've been out of town for a few days (over 100 new msgs to read... sheesh.) Soo... my girlfriends parents run a small smt/board manufacturing plant... and i do mean SMALL, just outside of Boston. I'm going to ask them if they'd be interested in doing a small run of tuners, provided that all of the other avenues Rob's exploring fall through. Might work out for all.

#84803 - 09/04/2002 12:33 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: AndrewT]
Alexander

Yeah, I had a feeling someone would complain about that. My browser defaults to a sans-serif font, which I guess is more readable. Anyway, I changed that to size=2, should be better now.

The domain is up, so a little more friendly URL (goes to the same place):

http://www.eden2.com/empeg/

Results are pretty good for being stuck at the bottom of a long thread for less than 12 hours. 36 tuners wanted @ $120, 95% of the people are willing to pay in advance. (10-20% for the backers? Hah!) About 60% of the people are providing phone numbers, most of the others simply have very solid, reliable-looking email addresses.

Maybe it's time to promote this to its own thread and/or page-top link? I didn't ask anyone before throwing it together, but I won't go pimping it to the world without permission.

Alex

#84804 - 09/04/2002 13:20 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Alexander]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You don't need to ask anyone permission to do this, your page is very clear about what submitting data does or does not mean. I say go ahead and start a new thread in General so people can see it.

I was going to do exactly the same thing (after seeing that plenty of people had decided they needed more tuners than they signed up for on my pole, but could not change their vote), you completed your code before me...

#84805 - 09/04/2002 13:50 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: andy]
Alexander

Ok, really I was looking for rob or Drakino to tell me that I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes, or if there was some critical piece of information I wasn't collecting, but with 28 people and more than as many tuners, I guess I've already got too much momentum.

Posting obnoxious all-caps thread now... (Hey, the mods can always change it, right?)

Alex

#84806 - 09/04/2002 14:10 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: Alexander]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Looks like what I had suggested pretty much, a glorified e-mail list page that dosen't collect billing details, but does collect enough info to be accurate.

Send me an e-mail if you want to move this to RioCar.org. Or at least write up an article pointing to it. It should help to try and grab the attention of as many people as possible without official support from SonicBlue.

#84807 - 09/04/2002 14:19 Re: Tuner sign up page [Re: drakino]
Alexander

I have no problem hosting it, and moving the MySQL is probably more trouble than it's worth now. Do feel free to link to it, though.

Alex

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3