Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#85105 - 03/04/2002 10:26 Backup revisited...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I just bought (Finally!) a 120GB drive to back up all my mp3s. I've also been re-ripping most of my music lately, so I have a lot of it on some other machines, but I will still need to pull some 40gb from my empeg. I have heard ... hints and rumors that the next emplode will have some advanced download features. I also know that Jemplode has a download feature, but I havn't heard of anyone's accounts of how it works.

I have very few "Special Playlists" (such as moods, etc), rather, I have 2 main playlists: "Artists" and "Genres". I also have less significant playlists like "Soundtracks" and "Seasonal". Any artist that has 3 or more tracks on my player gets its own "folder" under "Artists". All of the other "one hit wonders" etc get dumped into a Genre folder (I only classify into about 8 genres). I'm not sure exactly why I decided to tell you how my mp3's are organized except to say that I don't really care if some get duped on my machine (windows shortcuts would be the best).

Once I get all of this organized on my PC, I will look into some sort of networked player like a Rio Reciever etc.

So... what options are out there? Should I wait? It updating of the id3 tags based on empeg database on the horizon?

#85106 - 05/04/2002 10:15 Re: Backup revisited... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Can I get anyone's opinion on the Jemplode download feature? Does it update id3 tags? Is that planned? Is world peace coming? Does anyone like the photo I took of the Concept Focus?

#85107 - 05/04/2002 10:25 Re: Backup revisited... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What Brad said.

And yeah, that's a cool pic. I had to do a double-take on it.

#85108 - 06/04/2002 16:56 Re: Backup revisited... [Re: tfabris]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I just went through doing this very thing. It took a little bit to figure out how to accomplish it, but I did manage to find a way. Assuming you want everything from the Empeg *and* you can connect to it via Ethernet, here's what you need to do:

1. Install latest Hijack. (everything here is thanks to mlord!)
2. Using Emplode, create a playlist with all your MP3's in it.
3. Download an FTP program that can access an .htm file (I used CuteFTP Pro 2.0--FREE evaluation period!)
4. Browse to your Empeg's IP address.
5. Click on the [Click here for playlists] link to get to the playlists in your browser.
6. Find the playlist you created in step #2 and place your mouse over it, so you can see the address (i.e. http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/?FID=fc71&EXT=.htm ).
7. Note the part after the question mark.
8. Fire up your FTP program you downloaded in step #3.

Set up your FTP program to download to the directory you want and any other requirements of your FTP program.

9. Connect to you Empeg's IP address.
10. The last file you see should be an .htm file (i.e. ?FID=101&EXT=.htm ).
11. Browse to that .htm file (double click, most likely).
12. Find the ?FID you noted in step #6 and browse to it (again, most likely a double click).

It may take a while, but eventually, a big list of files will show up.

13. Find the files that end with an &EXT=.mp3. These are all your MP3's. Select the ones you want and add them to the queue. (In CuteFTP, select them all, right click, and select download.)
14. Start your FTP program's downloading of the queue, if it doesn't start automatically.

This will get everything onto your hard drive. WARNING: This will take a very long time if you've got a lot to download... mine took about 20 hours. The beauty of having them in an FTP queue is being able to stop and resume whenever you want.

All the files on your computer will look something like this: DC_-_Hells_Bells.mp3_FID=9f00&EXT=.mp3

Note the above file, which is AC/DC's Hells Bells, named accordingly on the Empeg. There's no AC/ in the filename. It'll drop the characters that aren't acceptable by DOS, so they're not perfect, but due to the unique FIDs, you can't get any duplicate files.

They DO all have the ID3 tags from the Empeg, though! Fire up your favorite tag editor and get the filenames and directories how you want. I used MP3 Tag Studio, since it allows renaming and moving of the files all at the same time, with one of the most powerful filters I've ever seen.

This worked for me just perfectly. It takes a little bit of work with the renaming of the files, but you do get your ID3 tags from the Empeg, which is what I believe everyone really wants. You can obviously modify the above instructions to get only the playlists/files you want.

Good luck!

#85109 - 08/04/2002 08:32 Re: Backup revisited... [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

George,

Thanks a lot for those instructions! That's practically a FAQ entry ! Thanks also for taking the time to even color code it, heehee.

#85110 - 08/04/2002 14:44 Re: Backup revisited... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
Brad,

My pleasure. The people on this board have been so helpful to me, even though I don't post here very often. I guess it was my way of giving a little something back. I began writing it in a quick and dirty response, but realized that it might wind up as a FAQ entry. I thought I'd save Tony some trouble. If it winds up there, someone can just clean it up a little bit.

Lemme know if it actually works. As for the color coding... I've been writing tech docs for about a year now and it's amazing what a little color does to a boring list of instructions.