Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8635 - 30/05/2000 14:11 MP3 & variable bitrates?
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I know the Empeg will play various bitrates. It looks as though I will be lucky enough to be getting a 2nd hand Empeg and I am now ripping my CD's to MP3 format. Is there any bitrates that the Empeg will not read? I am ripping them with Real Jukebox and it has a variable bitrate feature that adjusts the bitrate throughout the song to give you the smallest possible file with the best possible quality. Is this variable bitrate going to be compatible with the Empeg? Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

"I drank what?" - Socrates

#8636 - 30/05/2000 14:30 Re: MP3 & variable bitrates? [Re: ccrobin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
VBR good. Empeg like VBR. Make sure fill out MP3 tags, too. Emplode need tag data.

Tarzan

#8637 - 30/05/2000 14:35 Re: MP3 & variable bitrates? [Re: ccrobin]
ppslim
journeyman

Loc: N Wales, UK
I have used variable bitrates with all of my MP3's, all played without any problem.

One tip though, I would use a program like audio actalyst (or however you spell it), real audio jukebox thiny seemed to give my larger files rather than smaller ones.

To my suprise though, variable bitrates will allow you to encode with excelent results. Most of my MP3's have a bitrate range of 96 to 128, sounded better than the same track recorded at 128bit flat

Proud owner of #161
Proud owner of #161

#8638 - 30/05/2000 17:23 Re: MP3 & variable bitrates? [Re: ppslim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, I realize that VBR is good and most people here are using it. My question is about the Audiocatalyst program and how it does VBR. In my version of the software, there are different settings for the VBR in terms of quality. Which setting gives you about the same size as the same track at 128? I believe there are 5 settings from Low to High quality.

On another topic, I've been getting this strange thing in Winamp. Whenever I play CD's, at the beginning of each track, no matter what CD, it'll play about the first 1/2 second, stop for another 1/2 second, then play the track like normal. Any idea what causes this and how to fix it?

#8639 - 30/05/2000 18:03 Re: MP3 & variable bitrates? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In my experience, the middle setting in AC results in a file about the size of a 128k fixed file. Not quite the same, but close.

I encode most of my albums at this bitrate and I'm quite happy with them. For those extra special ones (i.e., remastered versions of Moving Pictures and Hemispheres), I crank it all the way to the top and it still compresses pretty good.

I have no idea what your WinAmp problem is. I could give you Justin Frankel's home phone number and you could ask him... (Just kidding).

#8640 - 31/05/2000 00:58 Re: MP3 & variable bitrates? [Re: tfabris]
ppslim
journeyman

Loc: N Wales, UK
As tfabris said, the middle setting, or 'Normal' as it's labled, but as for winamp, I have the same problem, but instead of it doing it with CD's, it does mine with MP3's, but thats only coz I over tweaked my settings.
Have you tried turning off the CDDB option in the 'Lineinput/CD' plugin, I wonder if that might help you.

But otherwise, I can;t think of any other reason.

Proud owner of #161
Proud owner of #161