Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#87058 - 12/04/2002 08:34 How to integrate cell phone with empeg?
puckalicious

I have a sanyo scp-4500 that I want to adapt to my car. As in when an incoming call comes, empeg mutes, caller can be heard in speakers, and I speak into a microphone on dash, visor, etc.
I know I can do this with the cell phone mute line and the empeg aux inputs, but does anyone know if my phone has audio in/out in the data connector? Or do you think I will need a separate 2.5mm plug to integrate the audio?
More specifically I would really need a pinout diagram for the data connector, anyone know how to find these?
Would love to hear from anyone who has done something like this.

#87059 - 12/04/2002 10:09 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: puckalicious]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
Assuming the phone has a standard car kit you could use the sony part (mentioned on boards, search the net) that switches sources based on the amp remote line to switch between the car kit and the empeg. Volume leveling might need to be accounted for as well. You'll also need to hook up the cell mute line to the empeg to pause the music. I'm not sure if there is a better way to handle this.

It would be more difficult to use the empeg's aux-in. Conecting it would be trivial, but a kernel patch (don't think this has been written yet) would be need to automatically switch to aux and back when the cell phone mute is triggered. This might be a good patch for someone to code anyhow.

I'm interested to know what other solutions people come up with.

John

#87060 - 15/04/2002 08:48 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: puckalicious]
Dava

Loc: Bucks UK
Hi, I recently did something similar but with a Nokia.

They sell a cheap car kit which is basically the incar version of a wall wart - It plugs into the cigarette lighter and gives you a power and audio out speaker from the phone. The sound quality is poor but when teamed up with an impedance maching unit from CPC (around £7), it can be linked directly to my front amp in parallel with the empeg. Because the impedance matcher is isolated from the car phone, you get no noise whatsoever when the phone is not doing anything but it sounds crystal clear when the phone rings or you are talking.

Team this little lot up with a thing called a GISMO from www.innovations.co.uk (£15) and you have an almost full solution. The gismo will listen for any valid GSM carrier wave in the car and, when connected to the empeg mute line, will mute the empeg with your desired mute setting. I use a 50% volume reduction.

I have hidden all of this in the dash and just have the phone holder/connector visible. Works a treat.

#87061 - 16/04/2002 11:43 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: Dava]
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany
Dava,

that GISMO thing is *exactly* what I need. Unfortunately, innovations seems to ship to the UK only. Would you (or some other kind soul who lives in the UK) do me the favour and order one and forward it to me? Of course, I'll pay for the expenses. Payment could be made through PayPal up front. Please, anyone who wants to help me contact me directly at [email protected].

Thanks in advance!
Daniel

#87062 - 16/04/2002 11:48 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: Dava]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
sounds like a great solution, but i got a couple of questions :

Where could I get one of these impedance matching units in the uk ? Do Maplin do them ?
Would I need any additional hardware to drop the cheap and nasty hands free speaker signal to RCA level ?

#87063 - 16/04/2002 14:51 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: tadzio]
rcurrier
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA
Be careful, most cell phones in the US do NOT use GSM (whatever VoiceStream became may be the only one). But Pioneer makes a similar box that works in the US, model CD-CM1. List price is $35, I've seen it for as low as $25 on the web.

#87064 - 16/04/2002 15:13 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: rcurrier]
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany
Thanks for your warning and for your pointer to the Pioneer box, but what made you assume I'm in the US? :-)

Liebe Grüße
Daniel

#87065 - 17/04/2002 07:19 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: tadzio]
Draghtnod
journeyman

could i connect the cell phone vioce output to the mic-in of the riocar and put the speech through when the cell phone mutes?? because i already had connected another radio at the aux-in from the rio...
(isnt that a cool feature for the hijack config.ini?)

Edited by Draghtnod (17/04/2002 07:20)

#87066 - 17/04/2002 13:18 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: tadzio]
rcurrier
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA
You obviously weren't in the UK so I jumped to the conclusion that you were in the US. My bad, I should know better.

#87067 - 22/04/2002 20:11 Re: How to integrate cell phone with empeg? [Re: rcurrier]
frekin
stranger

I did some checking on the Pioneer CD-CM1, and this is exactly what I've been looking for. All I need is something that triggers the cell mute line automatically when I get a call. After that, I can just use the Hijack extmute commands to switch to the AUX input.

Unfortunately, every picture of this thing neglects to show the actual plug at the end of the cable. The descriptions list the Pioneer models which work with the CD-CM1, but I want to know if I can adapt it to work with the Empeg's cell mute line. Do you know if this is possible, or do you know where I can get specific information on what signal the CD-CM1 puts out?