Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#856 - 10/11/1999 08:48 invitation to buy
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
OK - so I received my invite to purchase a unit yesterday, went on the site and filled out the correct info.. (number 6255 if you're curious...) but I neglected to read everything, expecting a confirmation email... so here's my questions...

1) Am I going to get a confirmation email?
2) How can I find out the approximate time to ship?

Thanks,
-mark

#857 - 10/11/1999 09:43 Re: invitation to buy [Re: dionysus]
influx
new poster

Loc: Western Australia
This is the way it worked for me:

Email inviting me to order, with the url to order with. I ordered as soon as I read it :)

Confirmation of Order email, repeating my order and address so I could change it if there was an error. It also included an estimate for what date they would ship the empeg out.

Confirmation of Shipping email, stating that the empeg had been dispatched, which carrier had been used, and the tracking number so you can track it's passage on the carrier's web site.

Right now I'm hitting TNTs web site every hour or so..

If you wait, you'll be emailed all the information you need :)

#858 - 10/11/1999 12:28 Re: invitation to buy [Re: influx]
dionysus
veteran

Yeah I jumped the gun a bit - received a confirmation email shortly after writing that message.. so here's another question: in people's experience, what's the approximate ship time to US? (florida)

#859 - 10/11/1999 19:10 Re: invitation to buy [Re: dionysus]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
In my experience, I posted my credit card order on October 20th (I had deferred since I got my original invitation to buy back in August and didn't have the dough at the time), received confirmation of order the next day, with a note that shipping would be delayed because they were currently out of stock.

I received the shipping e-mail yesterday afternoon with a tracking number, and received my empeg this morning (was VERY surprised).

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

(O|||||O)
SN 246 6GB Blue

#860 - 10/11/1999 20:53 Re: invitation to buy [Re: ClemsonJeep]
dionysus
veteran

...so am I the only person that's hitting "check mail" every 30 seconds? :) j/k

#861 - 11/11/1999 00:14 Re: invitation to buy [Re: dionysus]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
hehehe, I have set my mail client to check every 5 minutes.
The ISDN bill is going to be steep, but who cares?????..........

Waiting for my 6GB green, #5084.

#862 - 11/11/1999 17:49 Re: invitation to buy [Re: dionysus]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Mine shipped out yesterday, I was hitting the refresh button on Fed ex's page every five minutes to watch my empeg's journey to it's new home. I just got it.. Man this thing is cool!

#863 - 12/11/1999 15:43 Re: invitation to buy [Re: dionysus]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
I dunno... I sent in my order several days ago and have still yet to receive a confirmation e-mail. I have also sent an e-mail to [email protected] looking for some information as to how long the confirmation should take, and THAT has gone unanswered.

Very scary "first impressions" from a customer service standpoint, anyway...

#864 - 12/11/1999 16:42 Re: invitation to buy [Re: Dredd]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> I sent in my order several days ago and have still yet to receive a
> confirmation e-mail.

Sorry, but that's definitely not the case. Orders are ALWAYS processed by the next working day. I know for a fact that all orders (up until I left work a few hours ago) have been processed.

Registrations sometimes take several days to process (we're working on improving the system) but then again, a registration is going to take at least 4 months to turn into an opportunity to order.

> I have also sent an e-mail to [email protected] looking for some information as > to how long the confirmation should take, and THAT has gone unanswered.

[email protected] is a high priority mailbox - it's unusual for a message to this address to go unanswered the same (UK) working day, especially if it concerns an outstanding order.

> Very scary "first impressions" from a customer service standpoint, anyway...

There's clearly a problem here, but I don't believe that it's with us. I'll check my empeg email over the weekend and see what I can find, but I would bet money that the problem isn't at our end. If it turns out that I'm wrong I'll send you a free T Shirt :-)

If you have concerns about empeg customer service, maybe a few of our clients here would like to offer their opinions on the subject.

Regards

Rob
empeg Customer Services Manager

#865 - 12/11/1999 16:48 Re: invitation to buy [Re: TommyE]
rob
carpal tunnel

We shipped a lot of units yesterday and today, and I think there are maybe another 25 going out on Monday. If you have an outstanding order for which payment has cleared the latest it's likely to go out is Tuesday.

Order fulfillment has taken a little longer than usual over the last week because almost everyone at empeg has been very busy with preparations for Comdex (we have some great stuff to show, but that's another thread!).

Rob

#866 - 12/11/1999 16:59 Re: invitation to buy [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

Sorry, but that's definitely not the case. Orders are ALWAYS processed by the next working day. I know for a fact that all orders (up until I left work a few hours ago) have been processed.

Meaning no disrespect, but it really IS the case. I submitted the form, got back the response saying I would hear back in under 24 hours and never heard back.

[email protected] is a high priority mailbox - it's unusual for a message to this address to go unanswered the same (UK) working day, especially if it concerns an outstanding order.

Nov 11 12:53:57 narn sendmail[3260]: dABLrtH03260: from=<[email protected]>, size=582, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<[email protected]>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=dballing.yahoo.com [206.132.89.210]

Nov 11 12:54:10 narn sendmail[3262]: dABLrtH03260: to=<[email protected]>, ctladdr=<[email protected]> (1000/100), delay=00:00:13, xdelay=00:00:13, mailer=esmtp, pri=30582, relay=morrison.empeg.co.uk. [193.119.19.130], stat=Sent (OK id=11m0lO-00064b-00)

(TZ = Pacific Time USA) Now, the e-mail was admittedly sent yesterday, but it is now well after close of business on the following day (for the UK) with no response.

There's clearly a problem here, but I don't believe that it's with us. I'll check my empeg email over the weekend and see what I can find, but I would bet money that the problem isn't at our end. If it turns out that I'm wrong I'll send you a free T Shirt :-)

If you have concerns about empeg customer service, maybe a few of our clients here would like to offer their opinions on the subject.

Actually, I don't doubt the customer service in general (I've been following the project for a while and know the service levels are usually top-notch based on what I've seen other people say). Just that this particular instance was sorta scary.

It might be worthwhile (going forward) to have the order-submission routine generate a confirmation number on the fly. A tracking number that can be used to track down what happens if the confirmation never shows up.

D

#867 - 12/11/1999 18:34 Re: invitation to buy [Re: rob]
JKcap
stranger

I have had my PIII 450 working overtime ripping CDs and I have my P200 Making the MP3's, I got my email it would go out no later than friday, the charge to my credit card is already held too but not actually charged yet, Where is my Empeg? I am sick of hearing how everyone loves thier's and hate anyone that complains about silly stuff about it, I don't even have one yet. This is like waiting to open your Christmas present but the day never comes........

#868 - 12/11/1999 21:18 Re: invitation to buy [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

Rob,

Did some further research. It LOOKS like most of empeg.com's outbound comes through relay*.mail.uk.psi.net. It also looks like nearly all of those machines are on the ORBS black-list as being open relays (so my mail server, and others around the world, summarily reject mail from them as being 'likely spam').

Is there any way to get the messages resent either (a) through a different mail server or (b) to a different address?

#869 - 12/11/1999 22:35 Re: invitation to buy [Re: Dredd]
rob
carpal tunnel

Yep, this is probably the explanation. ORBS lists PsiNet as an open relay, so sometimes it is impossible for us to contact a client.

I'm not a fan of the ORBS system - it's a good idea, but to summarily reject all email from PsiNet UK (a commercial ISP), for example, excludes a significant number of businesses here. They even exclude relay.demon.co.uk which is used by about a hundred thousand UK internet users.

In fact neither of these relays is open - but some of their clients run their own open relays, which ORBS picks up on. We think this is unfair and we're certainly not going to change ISP for this reason - WE don't spam afterall. We've talked to both ORBS and PsiNet, and we think that ORBS are the ones with the problem - their service excludes spam at the cost of a huge amount of legitimate content.

We can email to a different address if you have one that isn't ORBS "protected" - just send me the details.

Rob

#870 - 13/11/1999 03:42 Re: invitation to buy [Re: rob]
dionysus
veteran

Hi,

When did this happen? I was wondering why I also never received word that the empeg was shipped.. I received a notice that it would ship on Friday, and that on friday I would either get the shipping number, or receive an email saying that it's been delayed... never did receive anything friday though...;

Could you let me know if this has shipped? (reg. number was 6255) if so can I have the tracking number sent to [email protected] ?
-mark

#871 - 13/11/1999 04:30 Re: invitation to buy [Re: dionysus]
rob
carpal tunnel

I posted elsewhere on here to mention that due to pressures of Comdex preparation not all due orders shipped on Friday - the rest will be going out on Monday, and later orders on Tuesday.

We should have sent a notification but I'm afraid it got overlooked - we actually finished preparing for the show at 4am today (and one of the engineers stayed on til 6am) in time for the flight which took off about half an hour ago. Being a small company can be a pain sometimes, but at least you get personal service :-)

Rob

PS We're still recruiting for Customer Services people!

#872 - 13/11/1999 12:42 Re: invitation to buy [Re: JKcap]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Ripping and creating, why not have a look at musicmatch???
www.musicmatch.com

#873 - 16/11/1999 09:20 Re: invitation to buy (still waiting shipment...) [Re: dionysus]
falconvp
new poster

Loc: Central TX, USA
Mark-

Have you received notice of shipment or delay of same yet?

I am in the same boat you were as of Friday.

I received invitation to buy on Wed. or Thursday. I placed my order.
My order confirmation came via email.
The confirm stated my Empeg would ship by Friday, Nov. 12, or notice of change
would be sent.

I did not receive a notice of shipment or otherwise.

Today, Tuesday, Nov. 16 I still have not heard if my Empeg has shipped or what
that status is of my order.

I am trying to be patient, but it is so hard, after waiting a year for this AWESOME
product.

-Falconvp (#5995 - 10gb Amber)

#874 - 17/11/1999 12:53 Re: invitation to buy (it shipped!) [Re: falconvp]
falconvp
new poster

Loc: Central TX, USA
To all concerned-

I recv'd Shipping Confirmation today (Wednesday, Nov. 17 at 1:50pm CST).

Thank you Empeg folks, for responding so quickly after the delays & problems
encountered since Friday.

As with most people, it was difficult to be patient after waiting this long for
this kewl product.

Again, THANK YOU EMPEG FOLKS!!

-Falconvp (#5995 - 10gb, amber).