Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#88998 - 18/04/2002 03:53 beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I am not absolutely sure wether this really happens all the time, but it seems so to me. Note that almost all of my music is encoded VBR. Now what actually happens is this:
If I pause the player and unpause it again (either by pressing pause, or after a wakeup from standby and possibly also after reboot), it starts playing, and after about 3 seconds, it restarts from the point were it originally resumed play.

That is: if I pause a track at 1:00 and unpause it again, it starts playing from 1:00 (most of the time, the usual VBR issue here), plays for 3 seconds, then restarts from 1:00 and plays as it should.

Far from being a severe thing, but it is annoying at times.

cu,
sven

#88999 - 18/04/2002 10:21 Re: beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Are you sure the files in question do not have damaged VBR headers?

#89000 - 18/04/2002 11:07 Re: beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Are you sure the files in question do not have damaged VBR headers?
I am.

All the files were fixed using mp3tool (from the Lord ) recently, even though they should have had correct VBR headers right from the start (all encoded with lame >3.80).
I think though, that some of the files might not have VBR headers at all (but very few) but some files which exhibited the behaviour definately are in perfect shape, including correct VBR headers. One file was definately CBR encoded.

cu,
sven

PS: What was that "Ahem" post linking to? I mean the post you deleted again (but I got it through mail anyway, just without any HTML tags)? I guess you were linking to some FAQ entry?

#89001 - 18/04/2002 11:14 Re: beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was linking to the one you already knew about regarding the VBR header repair. Then I re-read your message and realized you said you already knew about the problem.

#89002 - 18/04/2002 17:26 Re: beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume [Re: smu]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
it starts playing, and after about 3 seconds, it restarts from the point were it originally resumed play.

Does the timer display also revert to the original point?

tanstaafl.

#89003 - 19/04/2002 05:27 Re: beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume [Re: tanstaafl.]
smu
old hand

Hi.

Does the timer display also revert to the original point?

That's a very good question. I didn't notice wether it does that or not. I will try to reproduce the behaviour and check wether the timecode goes back as well.

cu,
sven

#89004 - 29/04/2002 12:31 Re: beta 11 repeats first 3 seconds after pause/resume [Re: smu]
smu
old hand

Hi.

I have finally been able to get a better look at this problem. Well, here are my findings:
  1. It only occures if paused for a longer period of time (some minutes) or after a reboot.
  2. It only occures on VBR encoded songs (but even on those with correct VBR headers), just not all the time.
  3. It appears to be random to some extend. In other words: I was unable to reproduce it, even with the same song, even at the same position (within 1 second).
  4. The timecode display does _not_ count up/down during the first play, it only starts after the player skipped back a few seconds.
Especially the last bit really got me puzzled. How on earth is the player playing music without realizing it does? Could this be some leftover buffer in the kernel? But if that is the case, why is it also occuring after reboot, at least sometimes?

cu,
sven