Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#89985 - 23/04/2002 11:09 FM modulater?
nikko

I went into to a professional audio installation shop to get an estimate on how much it would be to have my Empeg installed. Anyway, the guy said I would need something called an FM modulator. I'm not nearly tech savvy enough to know what that is. Does the Empeg need such a thing? If so, does it already have it? Is the install guy just under the influence of narcotics? What gives?

#89986 - 23/04/2002 11:14 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
An FM modulator is the way you can connect your player to a factory stereo if it does not have an Aux-in. This is covered in the Installation section of the FAQ. You should probably click here and give that a skim.

#89987 - 23/04/2002 11:16 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
ACK!

If he is talking about what I think he is, an FM modulator is a device you hook up to the outputs of your new empeg to convert its audio into a radio signal to be picked up at a specific frequency by your factory unit.

#89988 - 23/04/2002 11:16 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
the only reason u would need an fm modulator is if you
A. dont have an amp
B. want to use your existing stereo

but using an fm modultor will

A. give you crap sound
B. look like your listing to radio not the empeg

but it is the cheaper way to get the empeg working over an amp, but u will loose sound quility.

#89989 - 23/04/2002 11:17 Re: FM modulater? [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That is correct, and some people who have done this say it's not that bad. It's really no big deal, especially if he's trying to add it to a factory stereo system. For some cars, it's the only option.

#89990 - 23/04/2002 11:19 Re: FM modulater? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

A. give you crap sound
B. look like your listing to radio not the empeg

You won't necessarily get "crap sound". Others who have done it this way say it actually sounds pretty good if you use a decent-quality adapter.

And what's the difference if your factory stereo says "AUX" on the front or "FM 87.9" on the front? It doesn't matter what the factory stereo says, as long as it does the job of putting music out through the speakers.

#89991 - 23/04/2002 11:26 Re: FM modulater? [Re: tfabris]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
true, well assuming you using your factor speakers you wont notice sound much, but if u have any thing of qulity you will.

#89992 - 23/04/2002 11:29 Re: FM modulater? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And if you're into really high quality, you would be going the full amps 'n speakers route, you wouldn't be considering chaining it into your factory stereo in the first place.

I'm assuming that since the person posting the first message in this thread took it to an installer shop and asked them to make it work with their existing stereo, that they don't care too much about super-high quality and they just want it to work. In that case, the FM modulator fits the bill quite nicely and will give them decent quality with a minimum of hassle.

Assuming both stereos fit in the dash, that is.

#89993 - 23/04/2002 12:01 Re: FM modulater? [Re: tfabris]
nikko

Actually, I'm looking to hook it up on it's own. I have a slightly upgraded factory system (VW Monsoon) which includes an amp. I realize it's not as good as a set of aftermarket speakers and amp, but it sounds better than I thought it would so I'm giving it a shot. The only reason I would keep my factory head unit is if I can get both it and the Empeg to work. I just don't want to give up my radio. I have to get my talk-radio fix every now and then.

#89994 - 23/04/2002 12:01 Re: FM modulater? [Re: tfabris]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
I was once told that FM doesn't really cover the low end frequencies... ? don't know if it's true. if it is, that's a definite reason to not go this route.

#89995 - 23/04/2002 12:06 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Actually, I'm looking to hook it up on it's own.

Then the FM modulator would be useless. That product is only useful for connecting to an existing stereo.

The only reason I would keep my factory head unit is if I can get both it and the Empeg to work.

That's where the FM modulator comes in.

#89996 - 23/04/2002 12:10 Re: FM modulater? [Re: shadow45]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was once told that FM doesn't really cover the low end frequencies... ? don't know if it's true. if it is, that's a definite reason to not go this route.

Depends on your definition of "low end", and depends on what the factory stereo produces.

If you can listen to the radio on your factory stereo and you like the way the bass sounds just fine, then routing the empeg through that same system is going to be just fine for you. Most factory speaker systems can't produce extremely low frequencies, so this isn't really an issue for anyone who's going to be using an FM modulator anyway.

#89997 - 23/04/2002 12:40 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I think it is safe to assume that some one else out there has installed an Empeg in a VW with the Monsoon setup. Check the install forum for starters. An FM modulator is probably not your only option.

Also take a gander over to VW Vortex car audio forum and see if they can help you out. I do see a few posts mentioning the Empeg & RioCar.

Not too sure if this helps as it might only work with the non-Monsoon system.

So just keep looking.

#89998 - 23/04/2002 14:14 Re: FM modulater? [Re: tfabris]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
From my experience (hah) i've seen that they try to aim for 20hz-20,000hz..

(oh man, remember that early 90s "bass" sample? bass! i wish i could embed a wav into this.)
so the low end being the bass, at that point, doesnt it kind of lean more towards vibration than audible tones? i'm no audio engineer.. just speculating.

I don't see many subwoofers that go below 22-24hz.. but then again, i haven't been looking either.

just a thought

#89999 - 23/04/2002 14:24 Re: FM modulater? [Re: shadow45]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
Ahhh.....monsoon....welcome to my hell son. I have some advice for you. Liberate that monsoon amp out of your system and replace it with an aftermarket amp. Dont waste your time on an FM modulator. What kind of car are you trying to put it in?

#90000 - 23/04/2002 14:27 Re: FM modulater? [Re: Satan_X]
Satan_X
enthusiast

more to the point....do you have single or double din?

#90001 - 24/04/2002 16:29 Re: FM modulater? [Re: Satan_X]
nikko

I'm putting it in an '02 Jetta. It has a double din, but I am planning on removing it and buying a single din since I can pick one up used for what the dealer sells a pocket/faceplate thingie for. I have an aftermarket amp already, I just didn't want to further confuse the situation by using it to power the factory speakers and I don't really wanna blow the cash on aftermarket ones. It sounds like you might be able to help me better than most. If I use an external amp, be it the factory one or the aftermarket one, will I still need an FM modulator? And if so, will it sound like crap?

#90002 - 24/04/2002 16:48 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
Satan_X
enthusiast

No you dont need an FM modulator....

#1 Find another installer

#2 What you want to do is REPLACE the monsoon amp.
You're not going to need it. I spoke to someone who goes by the name of Jettaboy (http://www.digitaljetta.com/). He replaced the monsoon amp and took a look inside.....nothing more then what appears to be a 4 channel amp (did he take pics, no....grrrr). If you're amp is 4*50 or less, you should be good to go.

#3 find another installer

#4 Believe it or not, the monsoon speakers are nice. You should get a nice sound out of them. It won't be audiophile quality, but who can afford to spend $2000 + on equipment
(no wisecracks from the peanut gallery). You will notice a BIG difference in sound (for the better).

#5 Understand one thing, the monsoon system has the speakers layed out in the car a certain way to set up the soundstage (very noticeable in the beetle). Use that 4 channel EQ.

I'll try to help you out as much as possible, I'm getting my new amp put in on Monday (Woo Hoo), for right now I pray for warm days (for some strange reason, if it is above 72 F outside and the sun warms up the car a bit, the amp turns on....I don't want to know....).

#90003 - 24/04/2002 16:51 Re: FM modulater? [Re: Satan_X]
Satan_X
enthusiast

I believe this is the amp pinouts for your year jetta (99% sure)
It will help for installing a new amp.

Here's the wires out of the [Monsoon] amp on the green connector:
1 + Left Rear Woofer Pur
2 – Left Rear Woofer Brn
3 + Right Rear Woofer Pur
4 – Right Rear Woofer Brn
5 + Left Rear Tweeter Blu
6 – Left Rear Tweeter Brn/Blu
7 + Right Rear Tweeter Blu
8 – Right Rear Tweeter Brn/Blu
9 + Left Front Tweeter Red/Grn
10 – Right Front Tweeter Brn/Red
11 – Left Front Tweeter Brn/Grn
12 + Right Front Tweeter Red
13 – Left Front Woofer Brn/Ylw
14 + Left Front Woofer Ylw
15 – Right Front Woofer Brn/Wht
16 + Right Front Woofer Wht
Here's the wires in (from the HU) on the grey connector
14 + In Left Rear Blu
15 – In Left Rear Brn
17 – In Right Rear Brn
18 + In Right Rear Grn
20 + In Left Front Ylw
21 – In Left Front Brn
23 + In Right Front Brn
24 – In Right Front Red

#90004 - 24/04/2002 18:40 Re: FM modulater? [Re: nikko]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

The only reason I would keep my factory head unit is if I can get both it and the Empeg to work. I just don't want to give up my radio. I have to get my talk-radio fix every now and then.

If you want to use your existing VW HU and monsoon amp, then there is a blitzsafe adapter that will enable you to use the CD input for the empeg.

Search for jetta in the installation forum, and you should find some useful info.