Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#92068 - 06/05/2002 00:59 Morality vs Usability
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
I've had my Rio Car since the fire sale and I've finally decided to put it in my car (I've been looking for an M3 for the past few months but didn't find one that quite fits).

I was one of the lucky few who were able to purchase a tuner. (In anticipation of the M3) Therein lies my problem.

My current car is a 2n Gen (FC) rx-7. The dash has 2 din spaces. I'm wondering if I should get a good head unit to use as an amp/radio/cd-player. It would cost a little more but I'd have a CD player for music purchased on trips. More importantly I could keep the tuner in it's pristine, unused, condition.

Do those of you using headunits down stream from the rio have any strong good/bad opinions about usability?

#92069 - 06/05/2002 09:15 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: elvis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Since you have a tuner module, I highly recommend you go with the empeg as your only stereo and use the tuner module.

It is the cleanest install all around this way. It looks the best in the dash, because the empeg has cleaner lines and integrates better into the consoles of most cars than the gaudy aftermarket stereos do. Fewer components means less chance for noise. The anti-theft feature of removing the player from the car is better when there's not another stereo sitting there waiting to be stolen.

You will not miss the CD player. I know that doesn't sound logical at this time, but trust me on this one. Others on the BBS will back me up on this statement.

#92070 - 06/05/2002 09:42 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: tfabris]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
I agree, using the tuner module is the best way. You will not miss the CD.

#92071 - 06/05/2002 10:34 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: tfabris]
elvis
enthusiast

Nearly impossible to miss the CD player in that thing. My car is sprung so hard even tape players skip! It's what started me looking for an HD based player in the first place.

I was thinking primarily about the collectability of the (tuner) unit. During the sale I bought 3 MK2As. The 2nd is a spare and the third I'm keeping in it's box for posterity. I still feel lucky that I my income went up JUST as the sale was going on. Not only did I get an HD based player; I got my dream unit! (dream unit was 20 GB, so I guess I even surpassed that)

#92072 - 06/05/2002 11:07 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: elvis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was thinking primarily about the collectability of the (tuner) unit.

Hopefully, this will be a nonissue soon when Patrick makes kits available. All hail PCA.

#92073 - 06/05/2002 11:33 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: elvis]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I do not dispute what Tony and the other guys say, but as someone who does run the Empeg through their head unit, I'll add my 2 cents. As long as your head unit has an auxilary input, the quality will be very similar to what you would get from the CD player in your head unit. I wouldn't even bother if you would have to use a tape adapter or FM modulator.

Just a couple things to note:
I have leave the EQ and volume on my empeg flat-lined and control these through my head unit's EQ and volume. This means that you must use two remotes or adjust the volume and EQ settings by hand as needed.

This works out fairly well, because I leave them flatlined when in the house anyway as it pipes into my entertainment center's receiver and I use that for volume and EQ.

Tony is right though...since I got my empeg in January, I haven't touched the cd player and the radio has only been used once or twice.

I guess what it comes down to is if you can afford to get a decent amp and want to go through the hastle of installing it in a vehicle you are considering getting rid of.

#92074 - 06/05/2002 14:03 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: JBjorgen]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have a Pioneer head unit that i run in conjunction with my empeg. When i ran the cable for my empeg i put a set of RCA spliters and used them as a way to run the two decks into one line. i did this because i didn't have a tuner, and becasue if a friend had a new CD for me to listen to, or i bought one i couldn't wait to here then i could use my CD deck. I gald i ran it this way becasue my Empeg has been in the service department of RIo more than i have used it. This setup works great, the only catch is that to listen to my Empeg i can't turn off the Pioneer or i get half the volume. I know why it does it but i cant explain it.

#92075 - 06/05/2002 16:03 M3 as in E36 or E46??? [Re: elvis]
AlB

Loc: SF
Will not fit 2 DIN size units...E36 has one DIN with a big fakaroo (technical term) below the computer. Best you could do is halfaDIN down there. I know, I have one...still hoping for a tuner too.. heard they were a tough fit with the empeg+ tuner

E46 M3...All bets are off as there is no real DIN size mount and having been behind the non M3 E46 dash there is little or no room for DIN units. I have seen it done in 5 series but the stock system was COMPLETELY bypassed and electrical noise was hard to get rid of...

There are some E36 installs here on the board (Sean?) do search on M3 in the install areas

#92076 - 06/05/2002 17:23 Re: M3 as in E36 or E46??? [Re: AlB]
elvis
enthusiast

E36 not E46.

I'm a cheap bastard.

#92077 - 06/05/2002 20:48 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: elvis]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Boy with a threat title like "Morality vs Usability" I though this would be a _much_ more interesting post. So sad now...

-Zeke

#92078 - 06/05/2002 21:16 Re: M3 as in E36 or E46??? [Re: elvis]
BinaryC
journeyman

Well, my first thought was, sell the tuner on ebay for $250 and buy a nice stereo, but then I realized a decent stereo will cost you about that much, so you really aren't gaining anything. Unless you already have a stereo...

#92079 - 06/05/2002 23:34 Re: Morality vs Usability [Re: Ezekiel]
elvis
enthusiast

You mean you don't think the wanton consumption of an original Rio Tuner deserves serious consideration!?!??!

Oh the HUMANITY!!!!

#92080 - 07/05/2002 05:18 Re: M3 as in E36 or E46??? [Re: elvis]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I have an e36 and could give you a few tips.

I have got a square hole in the glovebox through which comes the leads for Aux in, serial, ethernet cable, and tuner. So if the car is left anywhere dodgy the tunner comes with me as well as the empeg.

The aux in did have a cd player attached to it in the glovebox for when i wanted to listen to a cd but it never happened.

I am looking at an M3 as well but E30 for me.