Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9315 - 12/06/2000 08:55 Yank!
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been in the habit of putting the Empeg into sleep mode (holding down the top button) before pulling it from the dash or removing the AC power.

This comes from my habit of turning off my old pullout CD player before removing it. For that unit, there were some mechanical clamps that would lock the CD head assembly into place, effectively "parking" the fragile parts. For that unit, it was important, and old habits die hard.

So I try not to just "yank out" the Empeg while it's playing. But here's my question: Should I even bother? Is there anything wrong with just yanking the power while it's playing?

#9316 - 12/06/2000 10:26 Re: Yoink! [Re: tfabris]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I don't imagine the empeg does anything in sleep mode besides pausing the player, turning off the display, and (maybe) spinning down the drive(s). (Do these drives even need to be spun down or parked?) That's probably why it uses so much power, even in sleep mode. I guess this is changing with the MkII, going into "low power mode" when the player is sleeping. What else does the hardware do differently in the MkII, guys@empeg?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#9317 - 12/06/2000 11:12 Re: Yank! [Re: tfabris]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
Just pull the unit out of the car. There's nothing to damage and it's designed to work that way.

When the unit looses power, it quickly writes the position it is in a playlist along with a few other settings to flash. The hard disks are self parking and are mounted as read-only, so there's no data waiting to be written to the drive.

The only reason you might want to put the player to sleep before you remove it from the car is if you intend to take it indoors and hook it up, but not use it straightaway (I leave the player in the hi-fi cabinet on sleep when not in the car). This saves you from having to wait for it to startup and then put it to sleep.

--
David
// I'm probably not speaking on behalf of empeg here...