Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#99105 - 12/06/2002 19:45 Connectors used on board
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Anyone know what the variety of connector used for the docking connections (rectangular white ones labeled analogue and digital) on the Rio/Empeg Mark 2/2A boards is? I would be most interested in finding the make and model, if possible. I need a connector that will accept the pins from the wires in the connectors (a gray and black striped one, and a gray one) so that I can run a signal (S/PDIF) out the mic in line without permanently modify the wires.

Any ideas?

Stu

#99106 - 13/06/2002 00:38 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: maczrool]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
They're standard Molex connectors.

Rob

#99107 - 13/06/2002 02:41 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: rob]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
While you're there Rob do you think you could also tell me a source/partnumber for the tuner module connector and the noise filter/fuseholder on the harness?

I know the filter/fuseholder is made by Autoleads, but I can't find any reference to it nor even any product using it on their website.

As you probably know I am doing a group buy for harnesses for home docking stations etc. I thought the hardest part would be finding the main connector but that was a piece of cake.

Thanks,
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#99108 - 13/06/2002 07:35 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: rob]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Yeah, but there's so many different varieties. Could you narrow it down? Thanks!

Stu

#99109 - 13/06/2002 07:45 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: Shonky]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I looked for the fuseholder too but couldn't find it. Are you selling just the connector or the entire harness?

Stu

#99110 - 13/06/2002 16:40 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: maczrool]
Shonky
pooh-bah

The connector definitely. There has been enough interest in the harness for me to do it, but I would really like to be able to include the tuner module connector and the filter/fuseholder to make it as complete as possible.

The only things missing would be the mic connector and the ISO connector which could be added if the final buyer really wanted them.

#99111 - 13/06/2002 17:18 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: Shonky]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Besides wanting to know the series of molex connector used on the mainboard, I'd also be interested in the harness. Do you offer custom plugs/harnesses? Are the stock ones removable from the cage? I want one with a female RCA video cable where the mic in cable is present (for my S/PDIF stuff).

Stu

Edited by maczrool (13/06/2002 17:18)

#99112 - 13/06/2002 17:29 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: maczrool]
Shonky
pooh-bah

I won't be doing custom although smu said he would. However, I would do the harnesses and supply the unused pins separately (basically the two mic pins) so you could connect anything you like to them yourself if you had modded the inside of your empeg (which you have...)

#99113 - 14/06/2002 04:52 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: maczrool]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Stu.

Do you offer custom plugs/harnesses?

He doesn't, but I would. However, I would prefer getting an as complete as possible connectors kit from him. That would mean all needed plugs and terminals, including the ISO and tuner connectors.
Note also that I won't start doing those harnesses before July, 22nd.

Are the stock ones removable from the cage?

Yes, they are. And as far as I know, they can be removed quite easy.

I want one with a female RCA video cable where the mic in cable is present (for my S/PDIF stuff).

Would be a nice thing, yes.

cu,
sven

#99114 - 14/06/2002 08:37 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: smu]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Sounds good. I'd be interested in a harness and plug as previously described (stock configuration with mic in substituted for female RCA video cable) provided it's not too costly. What would you expect such a harness to cost? I can probably make due with the mic in cable if the cost is too high.

Stu

#99115 - 14/06/2002 10:24 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: maczrool]
smu
old hand

The cost mainly depends on two things:
1. The cost of the harness (kit) as supplied by Christian (Shonky).
2. The shipping costs.
Both are not under my control, so I can't say much about those. The shipping cost highly depends on the weight of the harness, which I can't tell right now. I assume that harness + packing will be somewhere between 200 and 500gr (between 1/2 and 1 pound apporx.). If this is right, shipping costs from me to anywhere else won't be below 4$ and won't exceed 12$ as far as I can tell so far.

In my opinion, it all comes down to one thing: Do you want to have a harness with the original configuration at hand at any time (and thus probably not modify the original harness), or can you live with a modified one. If the latter is the case, you will probably not want the harness from me, because it will probably get damn close to 80$ (if not 100$) total. It all depends on the number of people wanting a custom harness though, as more people sharing the postage from AU to DE means a dramatic decrease in shipping costs. If multiple people from the US join to get one box from me and handle the (then internal to the US) distribution among them themselfs, shipping costs will decrease even more, which might bring the price down by a total of 10-15$ per harness (for shipping AU=DE=US-US, with = indicating combined shipment for multiple buyers).

cu,
sven

#99116 - 14/06/2002 16:53 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: smu]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In reply to:

Both are not under my control, so I can't say much about those. The shipping cost highly depends on the weight of the harness, which I can't tell right now. I assume that harness + packing will be somewhere between 200 and 500gr (between 1/2 and 1 pound apporx.). If this is right, shipping costs from me to anywhere else won't be below 4$ and won't exceed 12$ as far as I can tell so far.

I can give you these figures for the existing Empeg sled harness David (At Empeg) just sent me a week or so back:

The original Empeg harness (according to a set of accurate kitchen scales I have), weighs 150 grams, which includes heavy items as:
Empeg connector [male], which is screwed into the back of the sled,
filter/fuse 'box', RCA leads, RS232 serial lead, ISO connector socket & tuner connection socket.

In the package that David sent the above harness to me [packaged in a Mail Lite 'D/1' A5 sized bubble pack - which weighs 25 grams], the total weight was 175 grams.

The postage from the UK to New Zealand by Airmail was UKP2.10.

As postage from the UK to NZ is about the 'worst case' scenario postage wise this will give you some idea of what the postage should cost.

Of course the sled harnesses being made by Shonky may be heavier than the Empeg ones - but this could be a useful yardstick for comparison.

I would expect the majority of the cost to be the harness itself and not the postage due to the labour intensive process making a harness will require.

#99117 - 14/06/2002 17:46 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: smu]
maczrool
pooh-bah

In reply to:

Do you want to have a harness with the original configuration at hand at any time (and thus probably not modify the original harness), or can you live with a modified one. If the latter is the case, you will probably not want the harness from me.

I really want the stock harness configuration with the mic in cable substituted for a female video cable. I live in the US, so what would your best estimate be on the final cost of such a unit, excluding addtional interest?

I will be putting up a website for the S/PDIF boards soon (work has already begun on that while I wait for the PCBs). Perhaps I could offer those on the site as well?

Stu

#99118 - 15/06/2002 08:06 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: rob]
maczrool
pooh-bah

In reply to:

They're standard Molex connectors.

For those interested, I finally found the answer to my original question in this thread. After a great deal of searching through the hundreds of "standard Molex" connectors, I uncovered what the short white ones in the corner of the board are. They are 89400-1020 for the 10 pin header and 87369-1000 for the 10 pin housing and use 50212-8100 female contacts. I will be purchasing some 2 pin headers part number 89400-0220 and housings part number 87369-0200 from this series to route S/PDIF signals through the docking harness without permanently altering the wiring.

Stu

#99119 - 17/06/2002 06:30 Re: Connectors used on board [Re: maczrool]
smu
old hand

Hi.

I really want the stock harness configuration with the mic in cable substituted for a female video cable. I live in the US, so what would your best estimate be on the final cost of such a unit, excluding addtional interest?

I still don't have an exact price (not even a good estimate IMHO) for the harness (kit) from Shonky. Like someone (sheesh, my memory) posted before, the postage is likely to be in the 4-5$ range from Germany to anywhere in the world. I don't know about the postage from AUS/NZ to Germany though, but it should be in the same range. I will ask for (but not necessarily demand) about 8$/hr of work, so probably about 6-12$ per harness for my work.

cu,
sven

PS: After today, 6pm UTC, I will not access the BBS regularly anymore (until the end of July), so if you want to ask any more questions, I suggest that you send me an e-mail (address is in my BBS profile).