Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#45740 - 09/11/2001 02:24 Important warning to all UK owners.
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
As you all know, we were broken into last week and, amongst other things, my Empeg was taken from the house. Luckily, the Empeg has been recovered, but it has been detained by the police for forensic analysis. I was asked to identify the property and, through a thick plastic bag I could see that the Empeg had been dropped - the bag was covered with mud and there was also my rather the worse for wear Mavica which had also been dropped and smashed.

So... Anyway... Of course there's an insurance claim in, but:

It seems that under most UK home insurance policies, automotive accessories are not covered. Unfortunately, insurance companies being the fecking twits (adjust spelling as necessary) that they are, they seem to have classified the Empeg as an automotive accessory.

What this means is that despite the fact that it was in my kitchen, the Empeg may not be covered on my home insurance and because it wasn't in the car, it's not covered on my car insurance.

Now, with the aid of the instruction manual, which clearly states "home installation", and the nice guys at Empeg, I'll be doing my level best to try and get this sorted out, but I think that it's important that everybody here check their home policies to make sure that their Empeg would be covered in the event of theft. When calling your insurers, the important words not to use are "car stereo".

It seems that it'll be several months before the police release the Empeg, then I'll be sending it to the guys at Empeg for a service and damage report. We'll see what happens.

Nicholas.

#45741 - 09/11/2001 04:07 Re: Important warning to all UK owners. [Re: debauch]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
typical of insurance companies to try to weazel out of it. What about portable CD players with a cradle that lets you 'install' it in the car but you can still take it into the house?

#45742 - 10/11/2001 11:06 Re: Important warning to all UK owners. [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
"Oh, too bad, guv'nor, you opted for the NEVER PAY policy. Which is great if you never claim, but you had to go and claim..."

#45743 - 12/11/2001 09:06 Re: Important warning to all UK owners. [Re: tfabris]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

"Oh, too bad, guv'nor, you opted for the NEVER PAY policy"

The entire UK insurance scam (sorry, I meant 'industry') is run by Ron Devious.

Nicholas.