Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56954 - 09/01/2002 10:34 Build quality: RioCar vs. empeg Mk. II
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I just received my "backup" RioCar yesterday and noticed a few variencies between it and my empeg. I can post pics if you want. Some of the differences are purely cosmetic and expected considering the 7 months between build dates. (Ie, the metal is more abrasive). But some other things aren't.

I noticed in the back, in the USB and Ethernet connectors, is some silver "fabric" that doesn't seem to belong there. Also the shade of blue in the lens is a bit diferent (this has been brought up in another thread). Finally, and probably most disturbing (besides the fact that the unit wont even work and support has to mail me a new hard drive cable) is the large gap between the handle and plastic face. Is there some way to loosen the handle and adjust it? Anyone else notice this?

I wanted the RioCar because of the warranty, the remote and the extra RAM, but the empeg MK ii llooks better in my dash and that is what I have to look at 12+ hours a week while driving.

PS - what is the "security" hole in the back for?

#56955 - 09/01/2002 10:37 Re: Build quality: RioCar vs. empeg Mk. II [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Fastrack

Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada
The "security" hole can be used to secure the unit to a desk using a standard laptop lockdown cable. It works quite well!

#56956 - 09/01/2002 11:10 Re: Build quality: RioCar vs. empeg Mk. II [Re: Fastrack]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
The mk2 has one as well very nice little touch

#56957 - 09/01/2002 11:12 Re: Build quality: RioCar vs. empeg Mk. II [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
See here for my personal experience with the gap problem, including pictures, and Hugo's response on how to fix it. I haven't done it yet because it sounds like a rather risky adjustment and I haven't had sufficient time to take my time with it.

FWIW I agree that overall RioCar Mk2a crafstmanship is not up to that of the Mk2. But then again, I had the AC adaptor plug problem (no DC power detection) on my Mk2 and not on my Mk2a.

#56958 - 09/01/2002 11:13 Re: Build quality: RioCar vs. empeg Mk. II [Re: tonyc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Oops, I guess I should have searched better. Sorry for re-posting something. And thank you for the link!

#56959 - 09/01/2002 11:13 Re: Build quality: RioCar vs. empeg Mk. II [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I just loosened the screws on mine and gently eased the panel down slightly to better line it up with the handle.. piece of cake.