Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#62310 - 23/01/2002 12:47 From MK1 to MK2
duranike
journeyman

Ok, im sure this has been answered before, but im guesing not as detailed. What does it take for me to fully transfer all my songs from my MK1 10g to my MK2g DIRECTLY. Also, can i just bascially unplug the MK1 sled and hookup the MK2 sled to the existing wires and setup or is it much more complicated? I also noticed that MK2 didnt come with the grounding wire. So do i need the grounding wire from MK1 to make MK2 work? If not, how would i remove the grounding wire so i could use the MK1 on another car? Thanks so much for the answers head of time, except for those people that just reply with idotic messages. Sorry, its a little late. Thanks again

#62311 - 23/01/2002 12:52 Re: From MK1 to MK2 [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What does it take for me to fully transfer all my songs from my MK1 10g to my MK2g DIRECTLY.

There is an EmpegClone utility, included with the Emplode software, that's designed to do precisely that.

It uses USB, so it's not the fastest thing in the world. Expect it to run overnight or longer. If you use it, make sure that you're using version 1.03 of the software in all places (Mk1, Mk2, PC). The later betas are not stable for something this big.

I also noticed that MK2 didnt come with the grounding wire.

If you are referring to the floating-ground RCA amplifier adapters, you can remove them for the Mark2. They are only needed for the Mark1. This is covered in the FAQ.

If you are talking about an actual ground connector for the main power to the sled, both products have a ground wire and of course need to be properly grounded.

#62312 - 23/01/2002 12:56 Re: From MK1 to MK2 [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Also, can i just bascially unplug the MK1 sled and hookup the MK2 sled to the existing wires and setup or is it much more complicated?

(Forgot to reply to this particular question in my last post)

One important difference is that the Mark1 had only a single power wire. The Mark2 has two power wires. When connecting the Mark2, there is one wire that needs constant 12-volt power, and one that needs switched 12-volt power from your ignition key. I don't know how you wired your Mark1 so I don't know how you will handle this in your particular case.

#62313 - 28/01/2002 14:39 Re: From MK1 to MK2 [Re: tfabris]
duranike
journeyman

ok so what would ne connected to the mk1? the switched 12 volt ignition key power right? so where would that go in the mark2? next, and i know this is a real hard question for you to answer, but what would the constant 12 volt power look like? there is got to be a defining characteristic. like a label on it or something. i have a ford explorer if that helps. it should be right there with the other wires right or would additional wires be needed to make it longer or something?

#62314 - 28/01/2002 14:52 Re: From MK1 to MK2 [Re: duranike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

the switched 12 volt ignition key power right? so where would that go in the mark2?

The corresponding wire on the Mark2 is colored orange. You car's switched 12v ignition power goes to the orange wire on the Mark2. Since you already used this wire on your Mark1 installation, you should already know which of your car's wires that the Mark2's orange wire should connect to.

but what would the constant 12 volt power look like? there is got to be a defining characteristic. like a label on it or something.

The constant 12v power wire on the Mk2 is colored yellow.

The constant 12v power wire on your car is going to look different depending on which car you own. It is never ever labeled and it is not obvious.

You should have purchased an aftermarket wiring harness adapter when you installed your stereo into your Explorer. This is a very commonly-availble part. It is a plug that plugs into your Explorer's factory wiring harness and contains all the necessary connections, which should be all labeled.

If you purchased this aftermarket wiring harness adapter, its constant 12v power would likely be colored yellow and be labeled either "constant" or "memory".

If you did not purchase an aftermarket wiring harness adapter for your vehicle, and instead cut the factory harness connector off of the wires, then I cannot help you and you're on your own.

#62315 - 28/01/2002 22:12 Re: From MK1 to MK2 [Re: tfabris]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
then I cannot help you and you're on your own.

My strategy in this case would be to find something in the fuse box that always has power, e.g. central locking. Unscrew the fuse box, look for the metal bar supplying power to the central locking fuse (and others) solder a new wire to this piece of metal. Add a fuse to the wire and run it to the empeg.