Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64837 - 30/01/2002 14:51 ID3 Tagging in Linux
oakley
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
What's a good program for ID3 tagging in linux? I obsessively name my MP3's according to the exact same format (which makes it very easy to avoid dupes in a collection of 3k+ songs, and allowed me to rip/encode my CDs at high quality and dump them over my existing collection to ensure I have the best quality of each of the songs). I would like a utility.. preferably command-line based, that can fill out ID3 tags based on my file names.. I'd plan on doing this to my whole collection, so I want something that will do rule-based batch processing.

thanks!

- reid

#64838 - 30/01/2002 15:19 Re: ID3 Tagging in Linux [Re: oakley]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Personally, I use the id3tag command line tagger from id3lib, and then run it from inside a Python script (attached), which does regex matching on my filenames to figure out which tags to use.

Check out http://www.id3.org/implement.html for alternative implementations if you feel like hacking something together in your favourite programming language.

Note that I couldn't get id3lib -pre2 to compile, so I used -pre1 instead.

Attachments
63101-encode.py (71 downloads)

#64839 - 30/01/2002 19:26 Re: ID3 Tagging in Linux [Re: oakley]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
I just did a whole bunch of id3 tag editing last night.

After trying a few commandline tools, i found tagtool which is a lightweight GUI program.

It does individual file editing, group editing (including auto incrementing track numbering).

It can tag the files based on filename, and it can rename the files based on tag. Renaming a file can also be used to move the files into directory structures based on the tags.

and it does playlist generation.

Compared with other taggers, the file rename and auto track numbering were the big timesavers for me. (I've changed my mind about file naming schemes many times when ripping my CDs over the years.)

#64840 - 01/02/2002 00:57 Re: ID3 Tagging in Linux [Re: oakley]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
What's a good program for ID3 tagging in linux?

Perl comes in really handy for this kind of stuff if you are familiar with it. I wrote a perl wrapper for one of the id3 tagging modules that might be a good starting point if you are interested http://macgeek.dyndns.org/id3_tag

-Mike

#64841 - 01/02/2002 13:24 Re: ID3 Tagging in Linux [Re: mcomb]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
If anybody is using this besides oakley, I just posted an updated version that actually works with the current MP3::Tag module.

-Mike