Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66494 - 04/02/2002 09:47 Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
ok.. i have an mk1a, no tunerthou, is there anyway to splice in an fm modulated device such as the XM tuner into the harness that the tuner is supposed to plug into? i know its a long shot.. but maybe someone has done something like this.. or i might jsut be way over my head.. but if someone knows that would be great

#66495 - 04/02/2002 09:51 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Don't XM receivers have RCA outputs? From what I remember reading in the crutchfield catalog, the FM tuner is just an adapter to get the RCA output into radios with no AUX inputs..

#66496 - 04/02/2002 09:53 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: Yang]
justinlarsen
old hand

they might im still waiting for my free xm unit, if thats the case i can probably just plug it in thru aux uh?

#66497 - 04/02/2002 10:13 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
There's gotta be an RCA output on the XM device, so you're all set. Im wondering if any of the XM radios have any sort of an interface port so they can be slaved from the RIO? That would be a cool project.

-T

#66498 - 04/02/2002 11:12 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: TedP]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
The XM radios all have a display to indicate what channel is playing, and other song information. It would be nice if there was a unit that could interface *well* with the empeg so that it would not require having a dedicated XM radio display on the dash.

Pioneer makes outboard boxes that can be hidden, but they require an XM compatible receiver to do the displays. Oh well.

Calvin

#66499 - 04/02/2002 11:38 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is no way to use the empeg's tuner connector with anything other than a genuine empeg tuner.

If you are using an XM radio module, connect it to the player's Aux inputs. This in in the FAQ.

#66500 - 04/02/2002 20:21 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: tfabris]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
Very few XM Radios have line outs yet. The Sony model does with the home adapter kit. I believe Alpine will come out with one in a month or so. Most use FM Modulation for the aftermarket.

#66501 - 05/02/2002 03:34 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: blitz]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Well, the Sony model has line out in all incarnations, in the form of a 1/8" minijack on the back of the unit. For the home kit, it's packaged with a cable ending in RCAs, but those are available anywhere. The car versions of the Sony come with either a cassete adapter or an FM modulator that plugs into the 1/8" minijack.

-Aaron (who's owned a few of these Sonys so far)

#66502 - 06/02/2002 00:21 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: adavidw]
justinlarsen
old hand

im limited to the pioneer fm modualted or the alpine ai-net version as far as xm radio goes.. its a free unit.. i was hopping i can somehow convert the fm modulator to rca.. and just do it liek that.. that would be groovy

#66503 - 06/02/2002 00:23 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Ok...I'll bite...how did you get a free XM tuner? And where do I sign up...

#66504 - 06/02/2002 00:38 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: svferris]
justinlarsen
old hand

hehe i work at good guys its a promotion they are offering..
once i get mine and everything ill post the password code they give us but i wanna make sure i get mine first so i get it basically i get free hardware and first month of service for free.. i just have to show it to 10 people, and put an xm sticker on my car (RIGHT...) but u guys just have to say u work at good guys.. pretty easy and give them the promo code if u wanna try and get away with it..

#66505 - 06/02/2002 00:42 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
svferris
addict

See, I think this is how they should be doing it in the first place...

Give away the hardware for free...make it up in subscription fees. What does the hardware cost them to make? $100? They could just make you sign up for at least two years. They'll get their money back and then some.

Most consumers don't want to shell out at least $300, then pay subscription fees on top of that, just to get commercial-free radio.

#66506 - 06/02/2002 00:57 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: svferris]
justinlarsen
old hand

its accully a pretty cool product i woudlnt ahve bought it otherwise.. becuase the empeg dosnt support it directly.. but it woudl be cool to itnergreat into any system.. i really enjoy it.. im not sure how much ill use ti with allt he music i got on my empeg.. sicne the 50 is full i onyl got 100mbs free bastard.. but ya..

#66507 - 06/02/2002 01:09 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
svferris
addict

I read somewhere (I think on Slashdot) that it's possible to clone subscriptions for XM. Yeah, I know it's illegal, but still sounded interesting. Just wait until this catches on and people start cloning them over and over again. I wonder if XM integrated a way to monitor how many connections a given subscription is making at once.

The guy that discovered it only did it because XM makes you pay twice if you want to have it in two cars. I think that's kind of stupid.

#66508 - 06/02/2002 01:19 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
My buddy at Circuit City got the exact same thing. He's loving it. I personally wouldn't ever buy the thing, but it's actually sorta cool to see it in action. It's like cable... for your car.

#66509 - 06/02/2002 02:04 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: svferris]
justinlarsen
old hand

ya i totally agree that is stupid.. its neat.. worth 10 a month with free hardware.. ill see how much i use it if i get it to work

#66510 - 06/02/2002 02:25 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: justinlarsen]
Fogduck

Loc: BC
(d00d you're killing me with these leading titles...)
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case

#66511 - 06/02/2002 11:14 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: svferris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
But it's only advertisement-free for a few of the channels (stations?).

#66512 - 06/02/2002 11:19 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Hey guys, you are going to put me out of a job! I work for Hughes Network Systems - people stealing sat. signals IS a big deal. I'm not harping on anyone, I'm just saying that we all seem to defend artists and programmer rights - but putting satellites in the air and maintaining them (AND providing content) aint cheap!

#66513 - 06/02/2002 11:28 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I think the list had more ad free stations that ad stations... if i remember correctly that is.

#66514 - 06/02/2002 11:36 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I remember it the other way around. I could swear that the list showed only one or two ad-free stations per category (Rock, Country, etc.), and each category had at least a dozen stations. But I could be remembering wrong -- I threw out the pamphlet that had that information months ago when I noticed that it was a (not inexpensive) per-month subscription service.

#66515 - 06/02/2002 12:24 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: loren]
justinlarsen
old hand

it basically works like this.. xm dosnt put any ads on but some fo the signals they use such as news, mtv, ect. have ads in them that are out of xm's control becuase someone elss is broadcasting them, the stricly xm station are all ad free around 30 - 40 of them.. all of the music ones are basically..

#66516 - 06/02/2002 15:27 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

I'm not advocating stealing the satellite signals. But, since you work at Hughes, can you answer the question...

Would XM have a way of telling whether people were cloning their subscriptions?

Also, what's your stance on DirecTV hacking? Particularly by those in Canada who have no "legal" way of getting it.

#66517 - 06/02/2002 15:50 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: svferris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Since I work for Hughes, I can't answer that , but we are only partly invested in Satellite Radio, so I wouldn't have much to offer besides my experience with people stealing DirecTV signals...

My stance on that? I think it is wrong. I've even had people offer me hacked cards. Didn't quite seem to be worth losing my job over (that and I get free service anyway).:) As far as Canada goes... I guess I don't have any issues with actual Canadian citizens getting the service. Whatever trade regulations between the US and Canada or DirecTV and Canada that are limiting their options are beyond their control. I do believe however that a majority, in face a VAST majority of the cards being sold in Canada are for export to the US. And I have no sympathy for Canadians that are using it as an excuse to legally obtain these cards and then turn around and illegally distribute them across the border. Pure and simple, it is theft. Running satellites and the support infrastructure to keep them in service is extremely expensive.

Now if DirecTV would just make some deal wherein they agree to carry CBC (the best hockey coverage PERIOD) maybe something could be worked out!

My favorite DirecTV story was the Superbowl a few years ago "black Sunday" when DirecTV had been downloading a new authorization program to all receivers for the previous week. Sometime in the morning before the game, all illegal boxes went into "blackout". Sure, the hackers had a work around in a few days and were able to get most people up in a week or so - but the impact was priceless.

One interesting note: I know more "well-off" people who steal cable and DSS than people who could argue they simply don't have the financial means (that isn't an excuse either.) I mean, you have 2 Caddies in the drive-way, 2 other luxury SUV's and tons of property - but you have to steal cable??!

#66518 - 06/02/2002 16:11 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
People rarely steal things because they have to, but because they have an opportunity to do so, or just don't care to find an alternate.

#66519 - 06/02/2002 18:32 Go to carplayer.com and ask to be on tuner preorde [Re: justinlarsen]
AlB

Loc: SF
The more the merrier (maybe cheaper too)

#66520 - 06/02/2002 18:44 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Black Sunday knocked out the majority of hacked cards for much longer than a week. MUCH longer. And guess who the brain behind the whole partial code upload was? A former DirecTV hacker. I'd like to know how much money was sent his way for that help.

Now there are two kinds of DirecTV thieves. HU card people - which still have their cards go down on a regular basis, keeping money flowing to the people who charge them for reprogramming, cleaning, etc.. Then the H card people running emulators on a PC (H cards were the ones that got hit on that Sunday).

Hey, I know about pretty much everything, so this shouldn't surprise you.

Bruno

#66521 - 07/02/2002 00:19 Re: Is There Any Way?? Someone Must Have An Idea [Re: hybrid8]
svferris
addict

I have quite a few friends at work running the DirecTV hack. I think they all have emulators. I've thought about it, but I get my cable free anyways (as part of rent). Also, my condo faces the wrong way.

My dad in Canada is very interested, though. Haven't decided whether I'll send it to him.

You left out the best part of the Black Sunday story...When the cards were knocked out, the new data that had been written to the cards said "GAME OVER". You can check out the full story here:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/01/25/1343218&mode=thread

#66522 - 07/02/2002 08:58 Clarification on XM commercials [Re: justinlarsen]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
In reply to:

it basically works like this.. xm dosnt put any ads on but some fo the signals they use such as news, mtv, ect. have ads in them that are out of xm's control becuase someone elss is broadcasting them, the stricly xm station are all ad free around 30 - 40 of them.. all of the music ones are basically..

That's not really true. Yes, the stations that are rebroadcasts have commercials, but XM adds commercials to their own music channels as well. Not all channels have commercials, and the ones that do are limited by XM policy to 6 minutes per hour (as opposed to 18-24 minutes per hour on many broadcast stations).

It's been my experience that the "best" stations ("best" being defined as the ones that I listen to) happen to be the commercial free ones, so I don't have a problem with it. If it happened to be the other way around, I would probably be bothered and take a good look at Sirius instead. The Sirius policy is that their music stations are totally commercial free, while their talk and news stations are not. All this for $3 more per month than XM.

Of course this is all moot since I get XM for free (my wife works for them).

#66523 - 07/02/2002 09:35 Re: Clarification on XM commercials [Re: adavidw]
justinlarsen
old hand

its all about the free xm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >