Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77402 - 03/03/2002 13:28 Can't FTP to the Empeg
Decca
new poster

Loc: UK
Hi Guys

I'm connected to the Empeg via ftp with the hijack kernel. I want to back up some files to it, 'cos it's a half-empty 60gb.

I can see lots of folders, but I don't know my way around linux, and it all looks rather strange. I expected to see the two drives as "devices", but it looks like a flat folder hierarchy. Are drive0 and drive1 "aliases" for drives?

Anyway, my attempt at creating folders fails miserably - some sort of privilege problem? Do I need to create folders from the linux shell itself, or am I ftp-connecting inappropriately, perhaps?

..and where should I put my folders that is safe?

#77403 - 03/03/2002 13:42 Re: Can't FTP to the Empeg [Re: Decca]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
The /drive0 and /drive1 folders corrspond to the /dev/hda4 and /dev/hdc4 devices.
Those are partitions on the two drives. These partitions gets mounted into the single (Linux doesn't use drive (partition) letters) filesystem at boot time. Everything is joined under the single root of the filesystem ( / )

The /driveX folders are the best place to stash stuff, as they are large (the system partitions are IIRC 16MB) and also unaffected by software upgrades.

The reason you can't upload stuff is that the partitons per default are mounted read-only. Through the ftp client you can issue a "site rw" command to remount stuff read/write. Don't forget to issue a "site ro" before rebooting - otherwise you'll be in for a fsck (rather lengthy procedure) on then sync.

Standard FAQ pointer. However, the ftp stuff will (is not yet) be covered in the Hijack part of the FAQ.

/Michael