Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84351 - 30/03/2002 21:03 Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org
drakino
carpal tunnel

I finally got around to getting the Riocar.org boot logos section up to date with animated logo support. Feel free to head by and upload your animated logos the same way as normal boot logos.

#84352 - 30/03/2002 23:40 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: drakino]
rockstar
enthusiast

I tried to update my info to upload three boot logos, but i can't seem to recall the password i used. I logged into the "my accounts" section and i set all that up with new info, the new email i have and then i set a new password. I cannot however seem to be able to login to upload logos under the rockstar id, and it is sending a reset password reminder to a mail address i can't get to right now. Anyway, you can change it manually?

Let me know what i need to do
-rs

BTW thanks.

#84353 - 31/03/2002 00:21 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: rockstar]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Part of the problem is that the boot logo section still uses a seperate username and password database then the rest of RioCar.org. I'll get that integrated probably with V2 of the site.

Send me a personal message with your new e-mail address, and I'll manually change the database so you can log into both the logo section and riocar.org properly.

#84354 - 05/04/2002 06:19 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: drakino]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Not good:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.3.1
Using JRE version 1.3.1 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission empeg.miniinfo.net resolve)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(SecurityManager.java:1042)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.connectStep1(HttpURLConnection.java:177)
at sun.plugin.protocol.jdk12.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:282)
at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:798)
at org.jempeg.empeg.logoedit.AnimationApplet.init(AnimationApplet.java:64)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:344)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.maf_run(MotifAppletViewer.java:127)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.run(MotifAppletViewer.java:123)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Any reason not to use an ordinary animated image? Perhaps linked from a static image (of the final frame), to save us from the overhead of running lots of animations at once?

#84355 - 05/04/2002 16:05 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: tms13]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
We're talking about that ... The issue was having the user have to upload two images. So to do it right, the encoding needs to happen on the server side .. I have all the decoding code, but it currently requires java.awt.Toolkit to create images (and a java.awt.Component as an ImageObserver), which explodes on itself if X is not installed.... So I have to find a workaround.

That applet should be going back to the same server that the applet was loaded from, which should be within the security restrictions of the sandbox (it works for me, anyway).

Mike

#84356 - 05/04/2002 16:28 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: mschrag]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have a couple of workarounds for you. There's a guy that has a pure Java AWT, which should obviate the need for an X installation.

Otherwise, you can run Xvfb, which implements X in a virtual frame buffer, which Java can use to render its widgets. Xvfb is a part of most X installs these days, but you might have to figure out how to get it to install; it probably won't by default. And make sure that you don't have a window manager running against the Xvfb. I accidentally did that in the past once, and the AWT calls would never return because it was waiting for the window to be interactively placed. Just running Xvfb by itself (with appropriate switches and options) should be enough.

#84357 - 05/04/2002 16:34 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: wfaulk]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
That pure Java AWT project is awesome ... Thanks.

#84358 - 08/04/2002 12:07 Re: Animated boot logos finally at riocar.org [Re: mschrag]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I got the code from Mike, but unfortunatly my time is real limited right now with a death in the family. I'll look into playing with it soon, and getting it changed over to animated GIF files.