Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#102949 - 04/07/2002 12:59 Previously-owned Empeg sold as new?
cael
new poster

Hi all,

Quick question. Do empegs come with the User Information fields already populated?

If not, does anyone know a Robert J. Buckland, and if so would you please ask him how his name found its way onto my supposedly-new Rio Car?

#102950 - 04/07/2002 13:20 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: cael]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

No, these are not pre-populated.

Where did you purchase it? Is it the name of the former owner or the person you bought it from?

You may also want to check / give the serial number to support to see if the unit was stolen.

In any event: sold as new, but it certainly is not. Not a big deal, really, since they are discontinued.

#102951 - 04/07/2002 14:00 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: cael]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The person who sold it to you probably plugged it in and did a synch to make sure it worked. Yeah, that's it.

There was that one bulk-buy of players a few months ago... (who was it that doing the sales on those?)... where he offered larger hard disks in some players. Perhaps he was cloning hard disks? Dunno. Who'd you get it from?

Anyway, like Paul said: These things are rarer than a two-dollar bill, so whether yours is really new or "slightly used" makes little difference. They've been discontinued for several months now, so technically, none of them are "new" any more.

Your real concern is going to be related to this....

#102952 - 04/07/2002 14:26 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tell Paul that I will trade him several 2 dollar bills for an empeg.

#102953 - 04/07/2002 14:54 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: ]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

I would not be too concerned about the warranty. David is usually very good about that kind of thing. You might still want to contact him - let him know you bought it new, looks used, etc. Just so he knows. Tony is right - no worries. Go ahead, personalize it and make it your own!!! Load some tunes and enjoy! You will not regret it!!!

Oh, and I am tempted about the $2 bill offer, but I have one of these laying around already. If I need one, I can always cut one loose. Thanks for the offer, though...

#102954 - 04/07/2002 18:01 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: tfabris]
cael
new poster

I got it off a guy who says he bought a bunch direct from the factory, as "new, never installed". He went on to say it might've been a demo and offered to exchange it.

The unit seems perfectly fine (well, save for a remote with a dead battery, but I expected that).

Should I take him up on his offer to exchange it? He seems like a good guy and I don't want to be a pain in the ass. Besides, he's on the other side of the Canada/USA border.

Thanks, all. I appreciate your thoughts.

C

#102955 - 04/07/2002 18:18 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: cael]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

I would say keep this one, as long as your seller and David agrees that whatever is left of the original warranty would be honored. If anything, if it is a demo (with any tracks and has been running for any length of time) it would be less likely to have any hard drive cable issues.

#102956 - 04/07/2002 23:57 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: cael]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I vote keep it, but it wouldn't hurt to email David just to make sure. [email protected]

#102957 - 05/07/2002 04:29 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: lockuplever]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You can email David all you want, but we have clearly stated the warranty requirement - an original sales receipt or invoice must be presented, either from SONICblue or from one of our appointed resellers (which includes Car Toys and carplayer.com). Without that, we have no way of knowing whether a unit is within warranty or not.

The only exceptions are:

1. If you bought the unit direct from Cambridge (empeg store) in which case David already has your invoice details

2. In the case of certain known issues (e.g. hard drive cable) we probably won't ask for any proof of purchase.

Rob

#102958 - 05/07/2002 08:01 Re: Previously-owned Empeg sold as new? [Re: rob]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
My suggestion was only based on a stolen report, not warranty. I thought that was the original concern.