Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#109992 - 09/08/2002 05:51 pointing a webserver to a local ip adress?
ilDuce
journeyman

Hi!

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have a good solution to broadcasting the empeg on the internet even if the empeg has a local ip adress?

The way my system is working now is that I have a gateway thats on a dynamic ip. And I have my empeg connected to it through my LAN. What I want is to broadcast the empeg webserver to the internet.
That could be fairly easy just to add a hub in front of the gateway and hook the empeg up to the WAN. But I want to use services like dns2go to point to the empeg.

My gateway is a win2k machine btw. And I installed apache on it and tried to point it directly to the empeg. This is kinda a longshot but i just had to try. ofcourse it didnt work.

I was thinking that i could install samba on the empeg and then mount the empeg as a drive in 2k. And then point the webserver to the virtual drive. But then i had some problems on installing samba. As i dont currently have a linux system to compile the samba source. Didnt find any binaries on any arm disps. My linux capabilities are pretty rudimentary so i would appreciate a VERY easy how to do explenation.
Is there an easier way to make this work?

#109993 - 09/08/2002 05:59 Re: pointing a webserver to a local ip adress? [Re: ilDuce]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
What I think you should look into is a simple firewall or proxy service that will
let you do adress translation. (NAT)

You could try some of the simple Linux firewalls on floppybased bootdiscs.
Not sure if this will give you NAT functionality.

The easiest, not necesary the cheapest way, is to buy a xDSL router/firewall as they often give you NAT functionality.

Not exactly what you was hoping for I know, but maybe a step in the right direction.

TommyE

#109994 - 09/08/2002 06:00 Re: pointing a webserver to a local ip adress? [Re: ilDuce]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge

#109995 - 09/08/2002 06:12 Re: pointing a webserver to a local ip adress? [Re: David]
ilDuce
journeyman

wow.... thanks david...that did the trick... and thanks tommy for your answer to... allthough davids was a little more helpful your was as you said a push in the right direction....