Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#100774 - 21/06/2002 16:34 how do I format the whole drive?
thermo
stranger

well, it's official. I think my Empeg is hosed. I was having problems syncing with the Emplode, so I got really annoyed and tried to install b2.11 again. Now, I can't even get past the boot logo. I want to clean EVERYTHING off the drive, reinstall b2.11, and upload my songs again. I only had about 3 gigs on it, so no HUGE loss. Can someone walk me through the steps to do this?

thanks

-James

#100775 - 21/06/2002 17:46 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: thermo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Now, I can't even get past the boot logo.

Formatting the whole drive probably won't gain you anything. This is a symptom of drive or cable trouble. Odds are, you didn't do anything wrong, and that there is something faulty inside the player causing all your problems. Until you solve the root cause of the problem, formatting the disks isn't going to help you. Please click here for information.

However, if you really need it, instructions for formatting the drives using the builder image can be found as part of the disk upgrade guide here.

#100776 - 22/06/2002 01:47 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: tfabris]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
Yep, you're not dealing with a Windoze machine where you have to reinstall the operating system regularly to keep everything running smoothly. I haven't heard of anyone yet who had a problem so bad that they had to reformat the drives and start again.

#100777 - 22/06/2002 05:22 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: tfabris]
thermo
stranger

hmm, point taken.. I was able to USE the player in the car, but couldn't connect to it with the Emplode to put in more songs. So, I tried re-installing the consumer version of the b2.11. Oops. Now, when I apply power, it shows the custom logo I installed ages ago, and sits there. I'm going to have to install the developer version of b2.11 anyways, so I figured it might be a good idea to format everything first just to make sure I'm not getting some residual junk left over in odd locations.

I didn't think it was drive problems, because prior to reinstalling the player software, I could use the unit. I've gotten rid of the drive cable problem by changing the connector cable location, I've installed a diode internally to the switched power.

What should my next action be?

#100778 - 22/06/2002 09:32 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: thermo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What should my next action be?

- Make sure that you have EMPLODE 2.0 b11 installed.

- Make sure that you have the UPGRADE FILE for 2.0 b11 ready.

- Make sure the upgrade file is for a MK2 player not a MK1.

- Remove the power from the player.

- Double click on the UPGRADE file.

- When prompted by the upgrade program, apply power to the player.

- Remember it will take a long time to do the pump.

If everything works after that, no worries. Install Hijack and you're cool. If it doesn't work, contact support.

#100779 - 22/06/2002 10:56 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I would also recommend using something like GetRight to download the upgrade file. I have had a couple of bad downloads in the past.

Andy M

#100780 - 22/06/2002 20:22 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: tfabris]
thermo
stranger

Well, I did all the steps you suggested... I deleted all the Emplode software from my PC, and installed a new copy of the 2.11 Emplode. I also downloaded a new copy of the 2.11 developer image. I upgraded to the new software on the Empeg, and left for the day to hit the office. I just came home some 12 hours later, and the Empeg was still powered up with the boot logo on the screen. The computer said that the upgrade was successfully applied. After pullng the power and letting the empeg reboot, it froze at the boot logo once again.

Now I'm stumped. Time to contact support, eh?

#100781 - 20/08/2002 08:14 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: thermo]
cyberco

Loc: United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm having exactly the same problem, it's driving me wild!!!

Spend hours on it and got nowhere (only thing I can get into is a pump command prompt from hyperterminal but I don't know what to do here)!!!!

If you find a solution first, let me know, PLEASE!

Cheers,

Mark.

#100782 - 23/08/2002 15:16 Re: how do I format the whole drive? [Re: thermo]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Here's how to wipe everything from an empeg hard drive. Note that this requires a working (hardware AND software) empeg to begin with, and the Hijack kernel must be installed.

From any Linux box:

ftp my.empeg.ip.addr
site rw
put /dev/zero /dev/hda
quit

Windows folks will have to find their own methods..

Not recommended for the faint of heart, or the technically disinclined.

Cheers