Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#108475 - 30/07/2002 19:09 Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, twice now since Beta13, I've seen this bug which didn't happen in Beta12:

- Intermittently (rarely).

- After the player boots in Car mode (only seen this in car mode: Once in the home docking station with Hijack forcing it to car mode, and once in the actual car itself).

- The Info:Track screen comes up.

- The screen has all of the base screen elements of the Info:Track screen such as the horizontal line across the center and the time-index counter in the corner.

- However the screen is otherwise blank. The time counter reads zero, all of the text fields are blank, the number of tracks and total tracks is null. It looks like what the player looks like when it is booted with no playlist selected, for instance, if it has lost its flash or lost the scratch partition.

- All controls are locked up. No input, no button presses work. Shutting off the ignition also does not work, the player does not go into sleep mode.

- However. The CORRECT SONG is playing through the speakers as if nothing was wrong.

- Pulling the player out of the sled and re-inserting it clears the problem and all is well. Flash was not lost, all settings are still there, the correct song is still playing, and now everything works.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

I have not posted it to bug reports yet because I want to narrow down whether it's a problem in one of the new Hijacks or if it's in the factory beta13 player. I have only noticed this since activating the "Restore DC/Car Visuals" feature of Hijack, but that was close enough to the beta13 release that I can't be sure.

#108476 - 31/07/2002 19:38 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
This happened to me today.
Exactly as you described it.
Ive had beta 13 since the release day, and this is the first time its happened.
I start-stop-restart the car maybe 4 or 5 times a day.

Zachary

#108477 - 31/07/2002 21:13 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: fusto]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I assume you're running Hijack, too? Question: What version, and were you running the restore DC/Car visuals, and was it in the car?

Hijack is so cool that everyone's running it. So it's getting harder and harder to double check bugs to make sure they're not Hijack related.

Note to Mark: I'm not accusing Hijack of having a bug in this area, I just like to make sure before officially reporting things. In my particular case, it appeared to have the problem at right around the point where the bottom.L would have been executed...

#108478 - 01/08/2002 06:38 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
This was with HJ 289, and it was physically in the car. Not forced DC mode.

Z~

#108479 - 01/08/2002 06:51 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hijack is so cool that everyone's running it. So it's getting harder and harder to double check bugs to make sure they're not Hijack related.

Just letting you know that I don't Hijack and I have not seen this behavior. Been running b13 since it came out.

PS- I think it's time I gave Hijack a whirl. At the Boston meet, I was ashamed to be the only one there witout a Hijacked player. I am just a lazy bastard. I'm lucky I'm not still running 1.01.

#108480 - 01/08/2002 13:35 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Ive seen the same thing just once and it was after uploading Beta13. It also seems that my DC car visuals will not load back to my original settings each time I reboot the player in the car. I have the DC visuals enabled but it just seems not to work for me. I have searched the FAQ and cant seem to find an answer. Any clues?

#108481 - 01/08/2002 13:58 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: russmeister]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

For the DC visuals thing to work, make sure that you (a) are running the latest hijack, and (b) you have actually HAND SELECTED the two desired modes from the main menu (Menu, Info, Track, Menu, Info, Transient) and then after that it should work.

#108482 - 01/08/2002 20:52 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
russmeister
enthusiast

Ok, I have tried just about all possibilities. Call me crazy, but it still doesnt work. I have even talked to another empeg owner locally and showed him the problem and we are both befuddled. I did exactly as you said from the controls on the empeg itself and it still seems to do nothing. Could it be another software issue and has anyone else had this problem? I am running out of options...

#108483 - 01/08/2002 21:29 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: russmeister]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

When you plug your player into the car, does it think that it's in the house? click here.

Hmm. If it did that, then you wouldn't need the restore DC/Car visuals would you. OK, so it's not that.

Do you have [output] notify=1 in your config.ini? Did Mark say that was required?

Do you have [serial] car_rate=115200 in your config.ini? There was some talk in another thread about how this might be required to get [output] notify=1 to work properly in the car.

#108484 - 02/08/2002 07:20 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: russmeister]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Just to let you know I have almost exactly the same issue. I always use Track or Transient views, and when I do a long press down after bootup it goes to Transient. Although I have disabled/enabled restore visuals, and rebooted a million times I can't get it to work.

For a brief period this morning every reboot brought it into Now & Next mode, so it is obviously sending a long button press, but that was when I had been using the remote to cycle Info modes.

Since then - no joy at all
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#108485 - 02/08/2002 08:05 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: frog51]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Are you running beta13? Are you running the absolute latest hijack? Do you have [output] notify=1 and [serial] car_rate=115200 in your config.ini?

Let me know if fixing any of those things makes the restore DC/Car visuals feature work for you.

#108486 - 02/08/2002 08:24 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Just spotted the car rate thing in another thread so will try it in about 3 hours time after I get home from work. I'll let you know tomorrow so you can FAQ it if it sorts things out

This has been a good/bad week for me - lots of glitches, but lots of fixes from you guys.

Cheers
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#108487 - 02/08/2002 17:07 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: frog51]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Stick in

[hijack]
suppress_notify=1

and it will probably clear up any such issues.

Cheers

#108488 - 02/08/2002 21:55 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
russmeister
enthusiast

The DC/Car Visuals work with the [output] notify=1 and [serial] car_rate=115200 in the config.ini. I hope this works for others as well

#108489 - 02/08/2002 23:16 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: russmeister]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cool. I'd be interested to know if suppress_notify without car_rate also fixes it.

In any case, perhaps Loren can add that to the Hijack section of the FAQ.

#108490 - 09/08/2002 09:01 How to fix Restore DC/Car Visuals in Hijack v288+! [Re: tfabris]
mavantix
new poster

Having been the latest victom of this bug..err FEATURE!... The following is what I ended up with in my config.ini at the bottom... (And being a newb to config.ini, I was, hmm, scared at first):

[output]
notify=1
[hijack]
suppress_notify=1
[serial]
car_rate=115200

So to answer your question Tony, yes, car_rate is required as I started with the output [notify], then added [hijack] surpress_notify, and restore visuals did not work until I added [serial] car_rate to the equation.

If it's not already, this should definitely be in the FAQ under the heading, "HOW TO ENABLE RESTORE DC/CAR VISUALS FOR DUMMIES"!

Thanks everyone for the help! I can't live without visual restoration!

#108491 - 10/08/2002 00:39 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Stick in
[hijack]
suppress_notify=1
and it will probably clear up any such issues.

I did this before leaving on vacation a week ago. Although "Restore DC/Car Visuals" has been working reliably, I did just once get the screen-locked-up-with-blank-track-info bug (the one reported at the top of this thread) during my trip.

Anyone have confirmation of whether this main bug has happened without hijack or not?

And thanks to those who verified that suppress_notify and car_rate helped to make it work reliably.

#108492 - 10/08/2002 00:55 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

God damn it.

I'm gone for a week's vacation. There are 333 new messages in "General", and I figure I'll save going through the General forum for tomorrow. I'll go through some other forums tonight and do General sometime tomorrow.

But in another thread in another forum, there was a link to this thread. Since I had some new information to post about this subject, I replied to this thread.

I knew the thread was in General, but I thought that as long as I only hit reply to this one message without going up a level to the thread message list, it would leave all the other threads in General marked as unread. It did not. Now I have lost the unread marks for 333 messages in General. I don't know exactly where to pick up reading.

Sigh. Guess I'll have to brute-force it with date ranges.

#108493 - 11/08/2002 12:54 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You could just kiss those messages goodbye. It's the only strategy I have for surviving my Inbox when I get back from vacation sometimes.

#108494 - 11/08/2002 16:08 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Nah, I was able to get through it no problem. Wasn't that hard.

Back on topic: Roger, since you're reading this thread, do you have any clue as to whether this is something in the player software? Have you guys ever seen the player come up with a blank info:track screen and a locked-up user interface while it's still playing tunes properly?

#108495 - 11/08/2002 16:10 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
No. I can't say that I have. The only time I've seen a blank info screen is when the playlist is empty.

#108496 - 13/08/2002 12:24 Re: Confirm or deny: Blank Info:Track screen. Bug? [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
That's exactly my biggest beef with this BBS software. It assumes everything is read when you exit. :-( argh.

Calvin

#108497 - 05/09/2002 10:02 Re: How to fix Restore DC/Car Visuals in Hijack v288+! [Re: mavantix]
xn00dlesx
new poster

I did the following as you guys said. I add those 6 lines of code to my config.ini and the thing still doesnt work. I have the 2.00 b13 , hijack 292, and restore visuals selected in the hijack menu installed. Does it matter where you add the code to the config.ini ? This is the only thing i can think of.

#108498 - 05/09/2002 14:31 Re: How to fix Restore DC/Car Visuals in Hijack v288+! [Re: xn00dlesx]
mavantix
new poster

I appended the settings to the bottom of config.ini, in the order they appear in my previous post. Works for me using Hijack v288... Maybe it's something wrong with v292? The whole "fixed long-presses for good; more startup tweaks." part of v289 makes ya havta wonder...