Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#117380 - 22/09/2002 06:32 fixed IP in b13?
alfaguy
new poster

I recently had to replace the HDD in my empeg, so I started fresh and loaded the latest software version, b13, and reloaded all my tunes..

I can't seem to set a fixed IP under b13, I can connect via ethernet but it assigns an a different IP each time. Is there any way to do this?

If I set the IP that I want to use under the options tab in emplode, and do a synch, the address is not assigned and emplode just sits there looking for the player.

TIA,

Jeff

#117381 - 22/09/2002 08:20 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: alfaguy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I set the IP that I want to use under the options tab in emplode, and do a synch, the address is not assigned and emplode just sits there looking for the player.

Are you sure you've assigned it an unused address? Perhaps you've given it an address that's already used on the network, and that's why it refuses to assign the address.

Have you gone through these tips?

#117382 - 22/09/2002 09:13 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: tfabris]
alfaguy
new poster

Tony -

Thanks.

Yes I'm using an unassigned address IP address and have read through the FAQ.

This was working fine before I installed 2.0b13, which I did after reformatting the HDD's.

On my spare unit, which I upgraded to 2.0b13 while waiting for the replacement HDD, all was fine since it remembered the previously assigned IP address.

Other than downgrading to an earlier version, setting the IP and then going back to b13, I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Jeff

#117383 - 22/09/2002 09:22 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: alfaguy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Interesting. You say you reformatted the hard disks?

Just for ha-ha's, check and see if the player has a proper CONFIG.INI file in drive0/var. What's it look like?

#117384 - 23/09/2002 02:18 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: alfaguy]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England

You can't set a fixed IP via Ethernet. Connect via serial or USB, set the IP (which is quick), then plug the Ethernet back in.

Peter

#117385 - 23/09/2002 02:43 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: peter]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Which is a bug in emplode, because it shouldn't allow you to set the IP while connected over the network.

#117386 - 23/09/2002 07:00 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: Roger]
alfaguy
new poster

Thanks guys.

I'm like Duh?

I was trying to do it while connected through the network which seemed to work for me in the past or so I thought. Seems that the bug has been fixed, and emplode now will not allow you to set an IP address if connected through the network.

Thanks,

Jeff

#117387 - 23/09/2002 10:48 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: alfaguy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

After a brief ICQ conversation with Roger, I now have an explanation for what happened:

- Alfaguy has his player working on ethernet, using a Dynamic IP address.

- He wants to set a Fixed IP address.

- He goes into the "Select Player" DISCOVERY DIALOG options (this is the critical piece of information that I was missing and the source of my confustion) and tries to enter a fixed IP address. The options button on the discovery dialog is the place where you tell it to LOOK for the player, not the place where you ASSIGN the player's IP address.

- When his player is still working on ethernet, he cannot see the the "File/Configure Player/Networking" tab. This tab is deliberately invisible when Emplode Beta 13 is connected via ethernet. This is to prevent errors such as changing the IP address as part of a synch which causes emplode to display an error message when it is unable to re-download the database.

- So Alfaguy's problem was that he couldn't even see the option to change the player's networking features.

Roger is currently making this more clear in the next Emplode beta. Instead of the "Networking" tab disappearing completely, it will be replaced with a placeholder tab that explains you need serial or USB to change the networking features.

I am clarifying the FAQ on this point.

#117388 - 24/09/2002 03:39 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
FITNR.

#117389 - 24/09/2002 09:04 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: tfabris]
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi all

I'm reading you and I don't get the meaning...
Thnings that I do when I arrive to work:
Plug Riocar to my laptop via cross-ethernet cable, Riocar is still with the fixed IP from home. I start Emplode 2 and, in Options, I change Riocar IP to DHCP. I do a sync, it resyncs.
Then I unplug Rio from ethernet and mains, plug it to my enterprise net and give it power. It starts with a new IP from DHCP.
I get the new IP from the Rio menu, change my Emplode configuration and work with it.
When I leave, I do all the steps in reverse, so Rio takes my home fixed IP again. Everything seems to work.
Are you saying I wont be able to do that when I upgrade my Rio or Emplode?
Now I'm running a b13.

Cheers:

Miguel.

#117390 - 24/09/2002 09:19 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: mpelaz]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
With HiJack I believe you could use the @HOME and @WORK directives to select between fixed IP (@HOME) and DHCP (@WORK). Check the HiJack part of the FAQ for details...

/Michael

#117391 - 24/09/2002 09:28 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: mpelaz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I start Emplode 2 and, in Options, I change Riocar IP to DHCP.

First of all, you don't change the player's configuration in "Options". You change it in the "Configure Player" screen, in the "Networking" tab. We're talking about two different screens. The "Options" screen controls the Emplode discovery phase. It tells Emplode how to look for the player. It does not configure the player.

What I'm saying is... If you are connected to the player with emplode beta 13, and you are connected via Ethernet, the "Networking" tab is missing from the "Configure Player" screen and you don't have the ability to change its IP settings.

When I leave, I do all the steps in reverse, so Rio takes my home fixed IP again. Everything seems to work. (...) Now I'm running a b13.

If you're doing all of that from Emplode Beta 13, I don't see how. Whenever I'm connected to my player with Emplode Beta 13, I can't get the Networking tab to appear in the "Configure Player" screen.

And why is it that you say "everything seems to work" when the whole point of you starting this thread was to say that it didn't work and you wanted a fix?

Are you saying I wont be able to do that when I upgrade my Rio or Emplode?

I don't know. I'm not sure what you're doing now and why it seems to suddenly be magically working for you. Assuming you really are running Emplode Beta 13.

In any case, you will always be able to change the networking options with a USB or serial cable.

Finally, if you are hopping between two networks, one with a fixed IP and one with a dynamic IP, the work-around is to assing the player a fixed IP and then add an IP in that range as a second TCP connection on the dynamic-addressed computer. Details can be found in the FAQ here.

#117392 - 24/09/2002 09:30 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

With HiJack I believe you could use the @HOME and @WORK directives

Yes, you could do that, too. Still have to change something on the player's front panel, though.

Me, I just got sick of messing with it and went to dynamic IP's at home, too.

#117393 - 25/09/2002 03:47 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: tfabris]
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi

>> First of all, you don't change the player's configuration in "Options". You change it in the "Configure Player" screen, in the "Networking" tab.

OK, i haven't my Rio right now on my desk... I was trying to remember the name of the tag.

>> What I'm saying is... If you are connected to the player with emplode beta 13 (...)

I'm affraid I didn't understand you... sorry. I'm running empeg car Version 2.00-beta13 and Emplode beta11. Sice the half of the times I use Jemplode, I didn't know there is a new beta Emplode.

>> And why is it that you say "everything seems to work" when the whole point of you starting this thread was to say that it didn't work and you wanted a fix?

Well, I didn't start this thread. I was only trying to understand Alfaguy problem.

I'm going to try the @home and @work directives, it seems to be usefull. I cannot let Riocar to use a fixed IP at work since here every computer has to be DHCP. But probably it would be a good idea to do that at home.

Thanks again and sorry if I bothered you.

Cheers:

Miguel.

#117394 - 25/09/2002 10:37 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: mpelaz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm running empeg car Version 2.00-beta13 and Emplode beta11.

Ah, there you go, then.

The fact that you can change the network address while connected via the network was a bug in Emplode beta 11 that was corrected in beta 13. It was a bug that caused errors during the synch. If you change the IP address, the second half of the synch fails.

You should be running emplode beta 13 as there were some other more serious bugs in beta 11 that have been corrected.

Well, I didn't start this thread. I was only trying to understand Alfaguy problem.

Ah, my bad, then. Getting user names confused.

I cannot let Riocar to use a fixed IP at work since here every computer has to be DHCP.

You can give it a fixed IP that is completely different from your work IP range and it will work as long as your local PC is configured to have an additional IP in that range. That's the point of that FAQ entry I linked.

Here is an example. This is how I had it for a long time before I switched to DHCP at home:

- My home LAN was fixed IP addresses. The range was 10.0.0.xxx.

- For instance, my home PC was 10.0.0.42 and the empeg was 10.0.0.43.

- My work LAN was DHCP addresses in the range of 10.123.75.xxx.

- Plugging the empeg into the work LAN is not a violation of the lan specification. It's just that none of the PC's on the LAN can talk to it (because of their 255.255.255.0 subnet mask).

- So all I had to do was add a second TCP/IP connection on my work PC with the address of 10.0.0.44. This also does not violate the LAN specification, the rest of the LAN continues to function normally.

- The result is that I have a little private 10.0.0.xxx subnet sharing some bandwith on the local LAN hub. This private subnet has two computers on it: My work PC and the empeg. The work PC also participates on the larger 10.123.75.xxx subnet seamlessly.

See?

#117395 - 26/09/2002 02:35 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: tfabris]
mpelaz
journeyman

Hi

OK, I get what you say... It's a good idea to have two nets. I'm going to try that.
So I'm going to update my Emplode to b13, but I feel it's a pity to loose my 'on hot' IP change... I don't remember sync to fail after changing it. But I have the feeling that b11 is not as good as it could be... So I'll try the newer one.
Is there any incompatibility between my Rio b13 and Emplode b11? Firrst time I read this thread I thought you were talking about Rio b13 version!

Thanks for all, again ;-)

Miguel.

#117396 - 26/09/2002 06:18 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: mpelaz]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
You should run the same version of Emplode as is on your player. Doing otherwise causes Bad Things. Uninstall the previous version of Emplode then install the new version.

-Zeke

#117397 - 26/09/2002 10:07 Re: fixed IP in b13? [Re: Ezekiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You should run the same version of Emplode as is on your player. Doing otherwise causes Bad Things.

Actually, running the exact same emplode as the player is not required, as long as they both speak the same 2.0 protocol. The b11 player CAN talk to the b13 emplode and vice-versa.

There are bugs fixed in Emplode beta 13, but they are independent of the player communication, as far as I know. For example, the beta 11 bug that doubles your Visuals Favorites list with each synch doesn't have anything to do with which version of the player software you're running.