Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#122416 - 22/10/2002 22:33 Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end?
The_Optimizer
journeyman

Loc: Texas
Ever since the empeg was EOL'ed, I've sort of kept an eye on eBay tracking units for sale.

At first I actually kept a log of sales and prices, noting who had bought up a bunch of units and was trying to flip them for the quick buck. That was way in January and February.

After that got boring, I just kept checking the listing every few days after I would check on Phillips Videopacs (which I collect).

After the close-out frenzy of the first 6-8 weeks (or so) of the year, the number of actual empeg players for sale at any point in time has stabilized at almost always between 2 and 6, and frequently just 3 or 4. It seems that about 2/3rd to 3/4ths of these are new in the box units as opposed to units actually used in a car.

Right now, as I write this, there are 3 on eBay. This observation, by the way, only applies to the US eBay site. Usually there are none on most of the other country specific eBay sites, though there is a 10gig model on the German (eBay.de) site at the moment.

So... What do I conclude from this???

1) That during the closeout, a large number of empeg players went into the hands of speculators who purchased them with only the intent to flip them for a profit. We all knew that some did -- but just how many?

2) That those who sell these "new" units are aware enough not to flood the channel with too much product at once, in an effort to capture the best sale price.

So understandably when I see auction text that says "Hurry! You may never get a chance to own one again" I just roll my eyes.

And thus, I pose this speculative question to all my fellow forum members: When do you think the steady flow of “new” empeg players for sale (from eBay mostly, but we can include other car audio retailers with some empeg stock left) will come to end, and we will no longer be able to quickly set up a friend with one of their own, or snare a NIB replacement or backup unit for ourselves?

Of course, after that day, empegs will still trade hands, but they will be predominately used units and take some patience to locate, or they will only be acquired after convincing a longstanding empeg owner to relinquish a “backup” unit?

Myself, I had originally though the flow would end before the summer did – HA! Simpleminded me…

#122417 - 24/10/2002 11:22 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: The_Optimizer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Well, I have ONE backup unit that is fresh in the box that I never plan to sell. If I were especially hard up on cash, I suppose I might part with it, but I don't have any plans to do so. There are a lot of people in the same boat. So I believe the presence of NIB empegs will last a long time to come (years) but the regular supply of them on eBay I guess will not last another 12 months. Over the past two months they've slowed a lot. TTONY was selling them here at the BBS, meanwhile prices on eBay went up. I suspect the price for NIB MK2(a) will continue to rise for a little while still.

Honestly, I knew speculation was a good idea and fairly safe when their price hit rock bottom, but I just wasn't interested. In retrospect, considering I did have some spare funds, I should have bought a couple of dozen.

Bruno

#122418 - 24/10/2002 11:31 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: The_Optimizer]
darwin
enthusiast

I admit I bought 30 extra empegs to sell on ebay. Sold a lot the first few weeks after they sold out, then slowly sold them a few months later for bigger bucks.

Didn't want to wait too long, because there will be a release of another manufacturer making a better product, at an affordable price.

#122419 - 24/10/2002 11:59 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: darwin]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
I doubt it. Not for our market segment anyway. All the 'big boy' portable audio makers produce 'consumerized' stuff that isn't close to as 'tuneable' or 'fun'.

The only thing close competition wise is the PhatBox, and even that is a far cry.

#122420 - 24/10/2002 12:02 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: The_Optimizer]
elvis
enthusiast

I have a feeling......

New empegs will dry up @ the end of the year. The warranty is up ~January. NIB means "never tested" at that point.

I have 3 empegs. 1 isn't opened. I'm strongly considering opening it, as both of my other empegs had/have problems. My opened 30GB has a dim display. I'm going to get it fixed, but I'd hate to have to do that out of warranty.

#122421 - 24/10/2002 22:28 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: The_Optimizer]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Frankly, though I forgot about the empeg since I first saw the MK1 on the purple silk, I am amazed the NIB models lasted for these 9 months. I was glad to get my 30 NIB. And, after reading all the posts about people having backup units, I really think I should get one of those too.

But there's an ethical problem with backup units. That's one less unit that someone could be using. Am I crazy? If you agree with me, sell me your backup because i need it and you don't.... or something.

Also, how about counterfit NIB models and resale of stolen ones. Haha, maybe WE should start an escrow service for sale of empegs. What, I'm giving away another profitable idea that I'm too lazy to implement? Oops.

#122422 - 25/10/2002 08:43 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: elvis]
The_Optimizer
journeyman

Loc: Texas
Woah! I had forgotton about the Warrenty situation running out!

I too have a backup unit and it's still unopened. I think I need to pull it out and at least test it then. With so many other people having backup units, perhaps we need to make a bigger deal out of it and recommend that eveyone at least test their units before the year ends.

#122423 - 25/10/2002 13:06 Supply of NIB empegs to be cut in half!! [Re: The_Optimizer]
elvis
enthusiast

Or will be after everyone decides to check them out.

I'd like to see what rob has to say about this...

#122424 - 25/10/2002 13:41 Re: Supply of NIB empegs to be cut in half!! [Re: elvis]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
I'd like a back unit as well, most for programming stuff.

I have a mark I, which most people would want if they wanted for nostalgic reasons or because there really wasnt any mkII's left

The mark I styling is interesting though. the flat screen is a conversation piece.

#122425 - 25/10/2002 21:09 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: darwin]
caseyse

Loc: CA, USA
I had purchased my first MK2 for ~$1800. Had visted SB to purchase a 2nd when I saw the blow-out pricing. Tried to order several at $199 and a few tuners, but their damn shopping cart was broken. By the time I ordered by phone, only the 30GB units were available, so I ordered 8. Ordered two additional from carplayer.com. I now have 11. I purchased these not as an investment, but rather a guarantee that I would have an empeg until I do the final "init 0" I've offered a couple friends units at cost, but they are too dense to recognize their value and have not taken me up on the offer. I'll update my will to require a Mk2a to be installed in my Casket (without a sled.)

The empeg fits like a glove, and empeg Ltd has been a gem of a Company. If they hadn't been purchased by SB, I would have gladly invested in them.

#122426 - 25/10/2002 22:00 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: elvis]
elvis
enthusiast

I stared the process of getting the empeg in my car.. for the FIRST TIME. Poppin' my own has become an exorcize in frustration. I've had to go 2 and from work many times. I finally got to the point of action... and it turns out I have one of the sleds with bad connectors (2 empegs opened, 3 defects so far. I'm getting that hombrew flavor going on.). I had the forsight to purchase a couple sleds just before the empeg store closed. Another trip home and back... (5+ trips total)

I'm there, all my stuff is ready. I've told all my friends and girlfriends to blow off this Friday; I'm puttin' an empeg in my car. I carefully strip some cables and go into the work room......and the soldering iron is missing.

AHHHHHAHHAHHHAHHHHAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Ok, seriously,

<sigh>

Given that I've had IDE cable probs, VFD dimness (still to be fixed) AND now this sled issue, I think making sure your NIB empeg is working before the warranty expires would be an excellent idea. I wonder if SB made any money on the units they sold @ full price.....

#122427 - 25/10/2002 23:06 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: caseyse]
munkworks
new poster

Loc: Ventura, California, USA
Well, if you ever need to "shed" an Empeg, I would be interrested in aquiring a spare, since I only purchased my own and my wife's. No spares....... How was I suppose to know I'd get sucked in like this ? (Now I just need a couple of Patrick's tuners)

#122428 - 26/10/2002 03:35 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: elvis]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If you saw the Mk.2 production line you would know it's FAR from home brew. (Actually I think you can see some of it at the geek site).

For all intents and purposes there was a single Mk.2 production run and then a single Mk.2A run. Production glitches ALWAYS show up in the first production run (known as ramp up) and are fixed as the line progresses - but in the case of the car player there was no more production to follow!

The glitches can be counted on one hand, have been well documented here, and are fixed at no cost to the owner. In all cases (that I can think of) they are supplier screw ups not design flaws, despite the suppliers that were used being HUGE in their respective industries. The only very widespread issue is hard disk cables (the supplier was changed without our knowledge or approval and the part was not verified). The docking connector issue was widespread for Mk.2 but fixed by Mk.2A.

Rob

#122429 - 26/10/2002 04:40 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: rob]
elvis
enthusiast

I know I know...... I've read about these problems; it seems like I have all of them distributed among my Mk2as....

I've read through the geek site, the history, the names of all the prototype units, much of the FAQ, etc.

I suppose I just had a run of bad luck?

#122430 - 26/10/2002 05:02 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: elvis]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
What about the nipple being close to the rotary dial?

#122431 - 26/10/2002 05:08 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will e [Re: JeepBastard]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
The Mk 1 didn't have a rotary control and there were plenty of broken displays for that model too.

While it is possible that the rotary control has caused a few display breakages, it is the shock to the VFD itself that causes the nipple to break, not it hitting the rotary control.

#122432 - 26/10/2002 08:16 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: elvis]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We have a few customers who have experienced every glitch there is. I, on the other hand, have dropped my player countless times, ripped it apart and rebuilt it with great haste, left it in the car in all kinds of temperatures and neighbourhoods, and generally been a very bad empeg owner. I've never had a problem with it!

There's no justice is there.

Rob

#122433 - 26/10/2002 17:45 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
We have a few customers who have experienced every glitch there is.

I probably have in the vicinity of 4,000 actual power-on playing hours on my Mark 2 player, and have had a total of one "problem" with it. I had it installed on my bicycle (really!) and the wind blew the bike over when it was parked. The impact loosened the hard cable connection. Reconnected the cable, added a bit of hot glue, and everything has been fine since.

tanstaafl.

#122434 - 30/10/2002 21:03 Re: Guess as to when the flow of new empegs will end? [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
In your BIKE?! Hahahaha, what WILL they think of next. Maybe we can revive the Mark Lord Climbing Helmet Docking Sled idea.