Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#153454 - 05/04/2003 08:07 extmute question
GeoffT
journeyman

Loc: Coventry, UK
I'm trying to use the extmute_on, extmute_off function in hijack to switch to Aux when the mute line is at 12V and back to player when it isn't. I've read the FAQ entry and have the following lines in my config.ini

[hijack]
extmute_on=b9461d
extmute_off=b9461e

However I get a hijack config error message on boot up and the mute does just that rather than switch to Aux.

Any ideas please?

#153455 - 05/04/2003 08:22 Re: extmute question [Re: GeoffT]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Try this instead:

[hijack]
extmute_on=0xb9461d
extmute_off=0xb9461e

#153456 - 05/04/2003 08:39 Re: extmute question [Re: mlord]
GeoffT
journeyman

Thanks Mark - that works fine now..................except !

When I turn off the ignition (with or without the ext mute line on) the player closes down but then comes back on again in player mode.

It seems to be acting on the extmute_off "player" command after it has turned off and switching back on again. Any ideas?

#153457 - 05/04/2003 08:42 Re: extmute question [Re: GeoffT]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Nope. I don't use the mute lines.

If you figure out what's going on, and a way to corrrect it, let me know.

Cheers

#153458 - 05/04/2003 11:01 Re: extmute question [Re: GeoffT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It seems to be acting on the extmute_off "player" command after it has turned off and switching back on again.
You didn't say what device you had connected to the mute line?

I'm guessing that whatever device that is, it's changing the state of the mute line when you turn off the ignition (or shortly thereafter). So hijack dutifully sends the IR command to the player when it sees the state change. So the player is doing what it's supposed to do: Waking up out of standby mode when it receives an IR command or a button press.

Try setting your standby timeout to something really short, like 1 second or maybe even 0 seconds (dunno if that's possible). If the device (whatever it is) changes its mute line state slowly enough, maybe that'll fix it.

#153459 - 05/04/2003 11:40 Re: extmute question [Re: tfabris]
GeoffT
journeyman

It's my old Blaupunkt headunit.

I was unable to get decent AM reception with the tuner kit and the VW amplified antenna system ,so I've gone back to the 2 headunit system so that I can listen to football on Radio 5. I still have the tuner connected so that I can use the Sony Stalk.

I have tried reducing the standby timeout as low as it will go (1 second) but the problem persists. I appreciate that it's not a bug as such, I'm just trying to find a work round. I'm going to pull the headunit and put a meter on the remote amp line (which is what I'm using to feed into the tel mute of the Empeg) to see how quickly it turns off after the ignition is off. If there is a delay I might try putting in a relay that switches it off when the ignition goes off.

#153460 - 05/04/2003 12:46 Re: extmute question [Re: GeoffT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although it's an unrelated thing to the discussion in this thread, I'd get the tuner situation checked out by support. If your aftermarket head unit gets fine reception, but your tuner module does not (when plugged in the same way that your head unit is plugged in), you could be looking at a hardware problem with the tuner.

#153461 - 05/04/2003 13:26 Re: extmute question [Re: tfabris]
GeoffT
journeyman

Tony,

The tuner is one of PCA's kits, so if there is a hardware probem it's down to me. I did get it working OK on the bench with a "normal" aerial but the VW uses an amplified aerial system that doesn't seem to work too well with the tuner kit. The OEM headunit has a built-in aerial amp that means that all aftermarket fitments require an additonal aerial amplifer (which I have). The Blaupunkt works fine with this, but the tuner kit does not seem to be compatible with it (particularly on AM). Other VW owners have had similar reception problems. I guess I could put some more effort into solvng the problem, but the Golf has a double DIN space and as I have the headunit anyway it's an easier solution at the moment. At least I have got the Sony Stalk functionality that I wanted from the tuner kit . I would prefer to get the tuner working properly but I'll probably wait until PCA does a DAB tuner kit