Toby D (prolux) brought this up in the 2.0/RDS-AF thread:

In reply to:

What's the tuner disappearing thing?

Does this relate to power lost due to the car starting?

If so I have a great solution for you - At least it works for me - I know this is not strictly related to this thread so sorry:

I got three UPS batteries (12v at 7Ah) and wired them in parallel, then took a relay and connected one end of the signal to my vehicle body, and the other end to one side of my battery light (This is actually the signal path back from the alternator which indicates it has started producing charge). The actual terminals of the relay just join the three UPS batteries to my vehicle main battery in parallel.

The result of this setup is that whilst my engine is not running the empeg is completely isolated from the main battery. My battery light does not go out until the engine has finished starting and I apply a little bit of revs. So I never get the audio cut out, or the annoying battery symbol whilst my starter motor is pulling all the available current - I imagine it would prevent odd behaviour from tuners due to power fluctuation too although I have never experienced this problem.

Of course, the other great thing about this setup is that I can leave the empeg in standby mode in the dash without having to worry about it draining the main battery if I leave it for extended periods - Just need to find some deep cycle UPS size batteries and the solution would be perfect.

This sounds interesting - do you run the amp off the UPS as well?

This would certainly solve the disappearing tuner problem. Now all I need is someone more automotively-minded than me to find the right wires and plumb in a solution like this.