Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#159397 - 06/05/2003 15:35 Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw
belezeebub
addict

I have just ripped all my Cd's for a third time Using Music Match Jute box (I know its not the best one out there but its a one step program and I have nearly 600 cd's to ripp)

Here is the Issue I have music Match Version 7.5 I have it set to custom quality 320Kbs and Maxium Bandwidth is set at 22K (the Max)

My Empeg is feeding a Pioneer DEQ-9200 then out ot a PPI PCX-4125 feed two pairs of Diamond Audio S600 Speakers and a pair of PCX-2400 Bridged mono and each one Feeding a 12 Diamond Audio TDX 12D4 sub

hits Like a Turbo Charged Jack Hammer but the Music seems to be missing something.. I have fiddgeted with the Setting on the Eq and found the most pleasent one to use but when I listen to the same music off the Cd's at home they seem much warmer and have more depth..

Any Suggestions ???

______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#159398 - 06/05/2003 15:43 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
but when I listen to the same music off the Cd's at home they seem much warmer and have more depth..
What about when you plug a CD player into the car amplifier? Or when you plug your empeg into your home stereo? By trying to compare your home stereo to your car stereo, you're not comparing apples to apples.

And even then, there will be a slight difference between the empeg and the CD player as described here.

There are also two other issues that may change the response of your car player here and here.

#159399 - 06/05/2003 18:40 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

OK I listen to the song Kid Rock Forever On my home stereo and playing through my Empeg on the home Stereo

Volume is down about 25% (aprox Empeg is set to Zero) and I don't have a O-scope but my ear says the music above about 11K to ??? seems to be about 3 db lower on the Empeg Vs the Oringal CD..

I based that on the volume level of the Tamboren(sp) you can hear in the back ground on that song its pretty Steady sound.

Its almost like the Frequency Responce on the Empeg or the Mp3's is being Clipped on the low and high end.

I don't have a CD player in the car so I can't do the Other Thing you suggested.

My Empeg is Serial Number 080000406

Anyone have Written Numbers on what the Frequency Responce of the Empeg is ?? or suggestions on a Setting for Music match or a Different All in one Ripping program that I can try ?
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#159400 - 06/05/2003 18:55 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Substandard mp3 encoders are known for having a high freqeuncy rolloff which could be causing some of what you're hearing. I'd say your next best step is to Download EAC/Lame, and rip your demo again, making sure to keep the wav file. The load the wav, the lame mp3, and your orginal mp3 and compare them and see what you think. If the wav file sounds "right", then it's the mp3 compression. If the way file has the same differences, then it's still probably something you can solve with the equalizer. In the long run EAC might not be one click, but it really isn't labor intensive and will probably save you from ripping all your CDs again.

Matthew

#159401 - 06/05/2003 20:17 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: matthew_k]
belezeebub
addict

I downloaded Lame and Installed it tried to Punch a hole in my firewall with a Applet called mbb I removed it and all pointers to the mbb applet

Any other Programs I can try that are not back doors

#159402 - 06/05/2003 20:18 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Must be someone's bizarro Windows port or some crap. The good old fashioned unix "lame" encodes mp3s and does nothing else.

Silly windows people, Trix are for kids.

#159403 - 06/05/2003 20:53 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Anyone have Written Numbers on what the Frequency Responce of the Empeg

Woo-hoo...I beat Tony!

#159404 - 06/05/2003 21:00 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: genixia]
belezeebub
addict

I see Numbers for "Aux input frequency response 20Hz to 18KHz " but I don't see them for the empeg it self.

#159405 - 06/05/2003 21:29 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Well the DSP analogue outputs are bandwidth spec'd at 20Hz - 22KHz, (-3dB points). I don't know if the output stage after that has any more restrictive bandwidth limitations.

I do know that I've output a 17KHz tone and got a reading on my RatShack meter, but since I was using a crappy set of soundcard speakers it wasn't even worth applying the microphone correction curve and crunching the numbers. I suppose that I could use a multimeter to take a measurement at some point, but 17KHz is the highest that I could measure using this technique (the sinewave generator in the DSP tops out at 17KHz). Anyway I'm fairly condfident that there wouldn't be any artificial post DSP limitations below 17KHz, and considering that I can only just hear that and also that you are talking about audible problems around the 11KHz range, I'd suggest that the empegs hardware is not causing the problem that you are seeing^H^H^H^H^H^Hhearing.

#159406 - 06/05/2003 22:09 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

but my ear says the music above about 11K to ??? seems to be about 3 db lower on the Empeg Vs the Oringal CD..
Did you even CLICK on the links I gave?

#159407 - 06/05/2003 22:22 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: matthew_k]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'd say your next best step is to Download EAC/Lame, and rip your demo again, making sure to keep the wav file. Then load the wav,
Beelzebub: This is the best advice so far.

If you want to do audio frequency response tests, don't use MP3s. Rip one test track to a WAV file, raw, without any MP3 encoding as part of the process (i.e., don't decode an MP3 and think you've made a good WAV).

Since the empeg can play pure WAV files, it can play files which are bit-for-bit identical to the audio that your CD player is reading. So use WAV files for testing.

#159408 - 06/05/2003 22:28 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

Yes I will take the Empeg apart and Check for the 2 caps and the Mis marked resistior in the morning (can't find my allen Wrench right now)

#159409 - 06/05/2003 22:29 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes I will take the Empeg apart and Check for the 2 caps
Right, but before looking for the two caps, did you read all of the preceding text? About how your encoder might be doing high frequency rolloff?

#159410 - 06/05/2003 22:32 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: genixia]
belezeebub
addict

11khz was a Guess I don't have an O-scope and I am not really sure what the frequency is I know its way too high for bass its the sound a tamboreen(sp) makes what ever that frequency is.

I am re ripping the Test song with Lame (dang EAC and Lame are Much slower to rip them MMJB)

#159411 - 06/05/2003 22:35 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

Dang Tony don't you sleep
Yes I have read them many times and I have adjusted MMJB to not Roll off till 22k

#159412 - 07/05/2003 05:54 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I've had EAC and run several spy/adware programs and they've never detected anything evil from EAC (both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy). Perhaps the applet was the querying mechanism for album information (freedb client)? Just a thought. It's a solid program and I'll be sad if spyware's the route they've taken recently. I've never read anything about EAC having spyware on board.

-Zeke

#159413 - 07/05/2003 06:44 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm. Sanity check the 'Doh!' factor. Do you have hijack installed? Have you confirmed that you don't have any Bass or Treble adjustment set?

#159414 - 07/05/2003 12:39 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: genixia]
belezeebub
addict

I do not have hijack installed and the EQ settings on the EMpeg are flat

#159415 - 07/05/2003 12:57 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

and the EQ settings on the EMpeg are flat
Exactly. Your CD player, on the other hand, is not flat.

#159416 - 07/05/2003 16:04 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: tfabris]
belezeebub
addict

HUmmm When I play the way files I get a slight pause 1 or 2 times in durining the song for 1/2 a second or so (is this because the songs are much larger then the 16 megs of memory the Empeg has and it needs to spin up the Hd to read more data ??

#159417 - 07/05/2003 20:53 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
mrfixit
enthusiast

I had to jump in on this post. When I first got my empeg all I used to encode my cd's was music match, and I usualy encoded at 192kbps. I didn't know what all the hipe was about with eac and lame until I downloaded and used it. Yes eac and lame is slower but thats because it does such a great job. As we speak I am re ripping all my cd's (I hate to say how many) the difference from music match to eac is just no comparison. Even at the highest quality setting of music match just stinks compared to eac and lame. Oh and eac was just trying to download info for your cd from the net it has no spyware or anything like that.
mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#159418 - 07/05/2003 21:49 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: mrfixit]
belezeebub
addict

The EAC/ Lame I downloaded from www.Downloads.com Tried to open a Port in my firewall and this was at startup before I even inserted a CD or started up the program I have since Downloaded a different version and it doesn't do that.

#159419 - 08/05/2003 05:48 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: belezeebub]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
For your reference (a bit late now), EAC's web page is http://www.exactaudiocopy.de .

The source page for LAME is http://www.jthz.com/%7Elame/ .

There are several versions of each available. I wonder if Downloads.com bundled up something nasty with it.

Regardless, there's a good deal of information on using EAC and LAME on these sites.

-Zeke

#159420 - 08/05/2003 08:15 Re: Hiss, Humm and WHat the parrot saw [Re: Ezekiel]
Fastrack

Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada
By far the best ripper/encoder is CDex and it's free, it also comes with the most current version of LAME!

It takes a little bit of time to setup (how you want the Filename/ID tags to look etc…, but it's sweet otherwise)

Highly recommend:
http://www.cdex.n3.net/