Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#160780 - 09/05/2003 12:36 BMW 325 Empeg install help
Beamer325
new poster

Loc: Europe
Hi Folks

I have a MK2 10 Gb unit and am getting a 325i Bmw with already fitted CD Changer in the boot. Looking at the pics of the dash there seems to be a compartment under the Air con controls where the Empeg might fit.

Has anyone fitted out the 325i?

I saw a few posts, one unfortunately where the pics link did not work.

Any ideas chaps?

#160781 - 09/05/2003 12:52 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: Beamer325]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do some searches in the "Installation Notes" forum, and also please read this section of the FAQ, especially this entry, this entry, and this entry.

#160782 - 09/05/2003 12:57 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: Beamer325]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
What year/ chassis type?

#160783 - 09/05/2003 13:11 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: Beamer325]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
If your BMW is one of the latest series (the one with the integrated-in-dash headunit) then you're out of luck. I know which compartment you're talking about, but that won't work because the compartment is not deep enough when the plastic gets removed. The heater is installed behind it, and apparantly there is no way the compartment could be made deep enough to install a DIN sized unit like the Empeg. The heater unit simply prohibits this.

#160784 - 09/05/2003 14:47 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: Beamer325]
holio
stranger

I have a 2001 330i with an Empeg install. Forget installing anything other than the AC where the AC lives. The ONLY alternative is to completely replace the existing headunit. Of course, you can forget about using the CD changer in the trunk.

I did a complete install in my dash, and let me tell you it ain't the prettiest thing in the world. Further, I bought the PCATS tuner kit and the reception is not too great because I only spliced it into my antenna cable and need to go get the correct connector. There's so little room behind the dash area that everything barely fits... what a pain!

As I am a BMW lover and intend to buy another one when my lease on this car runs out next year, I decided I could not go through the effort of Empeg installation again. I just bought a Phatnoise Phatbox which installs in the trunk and allows me to keep the stock headunit, but I don't get any printed info about the Artist/Song/Album/etc. on the headunit display. Instead, a voice will tell me what song I am listening to as songs change and allow me to change navigate my files.

So, the Phatbox is a tradeoff -- much like anything else in the BMW and in life itself. It cost me almost $1000 USD to buy the thing, so it's awfully steep. If that's too rich for your blood, there are CD adapters that you can use to hook up a portable unit -- Ipod, Nomad Jukebox, Archos Jukebox -- through the changer control area in the back. That way you can keep the changer too. An adapter costs less than $100 USD, just make sure you get one that fits your needs (both the CD changer and aux in capability is what you'll want). Do some Google research...

I'll probably keep my Empeg for another car but this is the right way to go in the BMW. Hell, with the new models coming out with the integrated NAV screens its only going to get harder...

Adam

#160785 - 09/05/2003 15:16 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: holio]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I did a complete install in my dash, and let me tell you it ain't the prettiest thing in the world....I decided I could not go through the effort of Empeg installation again.

As I have said in another thread : I really hope that Hugo will make his "silly display repeater" available soon to the public, be it as a kit or a full product. At least that way the Empeg could be installed in the glove compartment and be controlled via a Sony stalk.

This will become more and more so a necesity in the future, because more and more cars are being produced with factory head units that don't fit into a DIN slot anymore. A bad but unstoppable evolution if you ask me. Of all the brands that released new models that I'm interested in, ALL of them are shipped with factory head units (BMW, Audi, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot,...)

#160786 - 09/05/2003 16:13 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: BartDG]
belezeebub
addict

There is an Adapter to use the factor Changer with a No-factor Radio. My Co worker got it speical order from some place in call (he doesn't work with me any more but if I see him I'll get the info)

he is even using the Factory AMp and speakers with his Empeg and in Dash alpine unit.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#160787 - 10/05/2003 02:22 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: belezeebub]
Beamer325
new poster

Thanks for info you guys. I should have read the FAQ but to be honest I had the Empeg in a Golf for a year and thought I had remembered most of the installation stuff.

The 325i is a saloon and it is the latest model with the integrated head unit in the dash, so it looks like I am pretty well beat on the dash install. Our second car is a 15 Yr old Merc 190 so it looks like it is going to be home for the Empeg for the forseeable future :-( I have a BMW Z4 on order and it looks like another nightmare to install in. Maybe by next year some of the more enterprising members here will have installed into a Z4.

Thanks for your help folks.

#160788 - 11/05/2003 04:14 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: BartDG]
Beamer325
new poster

UPDATE - Now driving my 325i - what a lovely car to drive.

Only one thin missing, no surprises.... the Empeg :-(

HUGO AKA Altman, if you read this please, please, finish your project, and make me happy with my Empeg in the BMW

Al

#160789 - 11/05/2003 18:51 Re: BMW 325 Empeg install help [Re: Beamer325]
scoopz
new poster

Loc: UK, Chester
I'm in the UK and have a 5 series which came with a stock headunit, slot in cd in dash and cd changer in the boot. I ripped all that out and fitted my RioCar since I have pretty much abandoned CDs now but the conversion facia is ugly.
I have been in touch with a few guys on the cardomain web page and it seems several of them have managed to get DIN sized stereos "professionally" fitted into the air vents above the stereo. I'm not sure what the layout of the 3-series vents is, but if it's similar to the 5-series and you don't really want air from the centre console then perhaps that could be a consideration.
I've just had a look to try and find some pics for you but seem to have lost the links but if i find them again i'll post them for you.

Scoopz