Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#182762 - 03/10/2003 22:40 Problems with my aux input
Rezolution
enthusiast

Besides have a problem with the tuner bleeding into the aux inputs (anything above -15dB on the volume and you can hear the tuner in the "aux mode"), I noticed that no matter which channel I plug my cd player into, I hear the music in both channels of my car!!!! If I plug the left channel of my cd into either the left or right channel of the rcas on my docking sled, I hear the cd player in BOTH channels of my car!!!

Are the right and left rca inputs on the sled mono???

Do I have to set it into Stereo mode or something???

#182763 - 03/10/2003 22:46 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
First thing to check for is wiring trouble, especially on the back of the docking connector, like this...

Otherwise, no, the symptoms you're describing should not be happening. The inputs are not mono, there is no setting to change. You should not be getting any tuner bleed. Something is wrong, and wiring problems (either faulty or mis-wired) are the first things to look for.

#182764 - 03/10/2003 23:10 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
Rezolution
enthusiast

Hmmmmmmmm, I guess I'll be taking apart my dash for the fifth time now to recheck the wiring again. I did that for the tuner module and didn't have any problems. I even tried reversing the pink and grey on the tuner and it didn't help...

Maybe my empeg was just ment to be used as an mp3 player? Neither my tuner nor my aux inputs work as they are supposed to

It plays mp3 fine with no noise at all, the tuner doesn't bleed into the mp3 portion of the player, just the aux inputs. I wonder if it's because I'm using 2.0 final???

I'll re-re-re-re-recheck my wiring on my sled though...

Thanks for the suggestion Tony

By the way, am I the only person ever to have the problem of having sound get passed to both channels through the left or the right of the aux inputs?? I can't find a single referernce to that anywhere on the bbs....

Edited by Rezolution (03/10/2003 23:11)

#182765 - 04/10/2003 01:18 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
do you get proper stereo seperation when playing mp3s? does it shift the balance from left to right like it should? if you play an mp3 which only has left or right chanel sound does it only come out of the approprate chanel?

just trying to determin if the problem is with your empeg or with your wiring.

#182766 - 04/10/2003 02:35 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I get this as well in my Mk2 have not tryed the Mk2a but it is not a problem for me as i never actually use the aux input but i get radio bleeding into it.

i will try the Mk2a later once i have upgraded it to 3.0 and it has stopped raining (scotland could be a long time)

#182767 - 04/10/2003 09:02 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you've already been in there checking the wiring, then there's no need to do it again. It could be something wrong in the player itself. The wiring is more likely so that's why I say check that first.

#182768 - 05/10/2003 11:17 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
Rezolution
enthusiast

I rechecked the wiring. The rca aux inputs are going to the proper places. I also checked the continuity between the right and left channels just to be sure they werent touching. There is no problem there. I also put my spare player into my truck to test that one out running 1.02. It does the same thing. I get proper stereo separation when playing mp3s, so I know that my truck is wired up right...

I notice that when I hook my cd player up to rca auxiliary channel on my mk2a (2.0 final), it shows both level meters going up and down on the screen wether I plug into the right or left rca aux inputs. I think that the player is doing this internally.

Is it possible that if the player only sees the left channel attached, that it will go into "mono mode" and sent it to both and that it wont go into "stereo mode" until both channels are attached???

Is it possible that I am the only one that ever noticed this? I don't think many people would have only hooked up one channel at a time, I would assume most people hooked them both up and then tested it, in which case, not many people would have noticed it...

From what I can see, both of my players are doing it and it's not my sled, so I can only guess its internal and now I'm not sure what to do...

thinfourth, thank you for confirming that it's not only me that suffers from this issue.

#182769 - 05/10/2003 11:24 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I also put my spare player into my truck to test that one out running 1.02. It does the same thing.
Then this would indicate either a problem that is external to the player, or that both your players have the exact same internal fault.

Hmm. Try unplugging the tuner module and see if the problem with the aux input goes away.

Is it possible that if the player only sees the left channel attached, that it will go into "mono mode" and sent it to both and that it wont go into "stereo mode" until both channels are attached???
I do not believe this is a feature, no.

Is it possible that I am the only one that ever noticed this?
If this was happening to everyone, I'm sure there would be more complaints.

I have a very important question:

When you are playing MP3s, and you turn up your empeg's volume so that it's as loud as you can stand it, what level (what number) is displayed on the screen?

It should be very high, such as very close to 0 db. For instance, should be somewhere louder than -10 db.

If it's at a very low volume, then your problem could simply be incorrectly-set amp gains.

#182770 - 05/10/2003 11:38 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: thinfourth2]
Rezolution
enthusiast

when you said:

"I get this as well in my Mk2 have not tryed the Mk2a but it is not a problem for me as i never actually use the aux input but i get radio bleeding into it."

do you mean that you just get the tuner bleed, or have you tried hooking up an external input and you have the problem of the right or left aux. channels getting passed to both channels internally in the player...?

#182771 - 05/10/2003 11:38 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
Rezolution
enthusiast

I think that altman (Hugo) would probably be able to tell me if it's an issue with the internals of the player, is he around here anymore???

#182772 - 05/10/2003 11:45 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
Rezolution
enthusiast

When I turn the mpeg to 0 db, it is absolutley deafening
anyone at the NJ meet could confirm that so I guess that means the gains are ok.

I think that maybe more people arent complaining about it because maybe no one noticed it? I'm not sure though. I would doubt that both my players have the same problem since they were made so far apart in time.

Tony, I'm glad to see after all this time, you are still helping people on the bbs

as far as trying it with the tuner module unplugged, i will do that tomorrow, i have to go to work toight and cant rip my dash apart again do you think it has something to do with the fact that I'm running the eq in the four channel mode and not two channel mode? I wonder if that matters to the player??

#182773 - 05/10/2003 11:52 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't think the EQ mode should matter, but that would be very easy to check- just switch to a different EQ preset for a moment and see.

Note, don't switch from two channel to four channel on your current preset, I think that makes you lose your settings. Switch to a different preset to experiment.

#182774 - 05/10/2003 12:35 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Have you swapped your player into someone else's install and theirs in yours? It would prove or disprove the software configuration and the players at one shot. You are in NJ, and your "occupation" listing on the BBS means that you are in one of the telecom spinoffs... Where are you located? There are a few people from NJ on the board, and there might be someone reasonably close.

#182775 - 05/10/2003 12:43 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
My MK2A does double whatever single channel is attached to the AUX IN line, but still maintains proper stereo with both L/R attached. What exactly is the problem with it doing that anyway?

I believe this is done internally by the SAA7705 DSP. From looking at the DSP datasheets, it appears the DSP enters what is called "Speech Mode." Whenever it encounters a mono signal, it delivers it to both channels.

From page 19 of the SAA7705 Datasheet:

The speech mode offers the function that a mono, e.g. a speech signal, can be applied at one channel and reproduced by all output channels. The preferred input is the AM_L input but it is also possible to use one of the analog CD or Tape inputs if desired.

Stu

#182776 - 05/10/2003 13:12 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
never actually plugged anything into the aux in port i had a cd walkman in the glovebox for when i wanted to listen to cds but the batterys burst through lack of use and ate the internals CD player nil Empeg one

have tryed with the mk2a and it is not as noticable the radio bleed but it has a capacitor removed from its internals by Rob S (ARSE) which is apprently uneeded as an experiment so as to weather it is this i do not know

#182777 - 05/10/2003 13:30 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: maczrool]
Rezolution
enthusiast

I was asking Tony that earlier because I wanted to know if it was simply running in mono, or if it would switch to stereo once both were plugged in (he seemed to think that was not the case). I guess that answers all my questions and clears the whole situation up for me. No further experimenting is necessary.

I don't have a problem with it doing that, in fact I think it's great that it does that, I just didn't know that it did that until you told me

Thanks for clearing it up!!!!!

Edited by Rezolution (05/10/2003 13:33)

#182778 - 05/10/2003 15:00 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I certainly didn't know about this either.

But wasn't there another problem, something about tuner bleed into the aux or something?

#182779 - 05/10/2003 21:57 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
Rezolution
enthusiast

The problem with the tuner bleeding into it occurs mostly when nothing is hooked up to the aux jacks, I noticed that when I actually plug the cd player into the aux jacks, the radio bleeding into the channel goes away almost to the point where you can't hear it at all, unless you turn the volume up to about -3 or 0 db, since I can't actually listen to it that loudly, I guess I can live with that...

Tony, as always thanks so much for your help. I am glad that you are around to answer messages and help out

#182780 - 09/10/2003 16:49 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: Rezolution]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Is this a portable CD player? If so (ie, it shares no ground with the car electrical system) then you need to ground the shield of the RCA to car ground otherwise you will have "issues" like the ones you're seeing.

I think this is in the faq somewhere?

Hugo

#182781 - 09/10/2003 16:50 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: maczrool]
altman
carpal tunnel

I believe (from memory) that this is a feature you have to enable in the DSP configuration. It doesn't just do it itself.

Hugo

#182782 - 09/10/2003 16:58 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I think this is in the faq somewhere?
I don't think it is. I'll see if I can get the time to add the requisite entry into the FAQ...

#182783 - 09/10/2003 17:17 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No, fuck it. I was just typing it in to the FAQ-update interface on riocar.org. I had it all typed in, then I accidentally clicked on a link, and when I hit the "back" button, everything was gone. I hate that mis-feature of internet explorer so bad, I'm not prepared to do any FAQ editing for the rest of the day. You'll have to catch me some other time.

#182784 - 09/10/2003 18:12 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: altman]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
In reply to:

believe (from memory) that this is a feature you have to enable in the DSP configuration. It doesn't just do it itself.

It must be enabled then right?

Stu

#182785 - 11/10/2003 10:30 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: maczrool]
altman
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure it isn't. On aux in, the ground is floating (hence the need to ground it to something solid). If you don't, then it will halve the signal going into one channel (ie, the signal will be divided between the input and the floating ground) and so will be heard on both channels.

Hugo

#182786 - 12/10/2003 20:56 Re: Problems with my aux input [Re: altman]
Rezolution
enthusiast

Thank you