Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#215896 - 10/05/2004 02:57 Vee-Dubya Install
stahimooney

Loc: Virginia
Hey all, long time... I have this mental image of tfabris with steam coming out of his ears at the subject line. Actually I feel like a contestant on American Idol and he is Simon. ROFLMAO

Ok here goes... All hands brace for shock. I recently purchased a Volkswagon R32. If you don't know what it is... do yourself a favor and go look it up. It is well worth 400 something bones a month--even with me in Italy and not being able to drive it. So anyway... I want to install the infamous Empeg that caused so much controversy a couple years ago. (I bought it from this dude and he never sent it until after the FBI got involved. He swears it was a misunderstanding, but I won't comment any further, other than the whole situation was painful.)

HERE is my problem. The .:R32 has a double din Monsoon radio in it. It has a face loading CD player and a tape deck with inputs for a changer in the trunk, that can be tapped into at the rear of the head unit. It actually has a data stream that tells it if you aren't using a VW changer or that peice of junk VW music keg clone. So I can find an adapter that fools the head unit into believing ANY input is legit... but I don't have a place to mount the EMPEG itself.
I actually wanted to pull the factory head unit and replace it with my Kenwood head unit with the empeg directly (over for cooling...?) but the car has a bumper to bumper warranty that will be voided if I replace the head unit. Supposedly the radio will display fault codes.

So I am not sure what to do. I may have to mount it in the glove box or something. I know that mounting vertically is a no no... any suggestions? Anyone dealt with a newer VW install? I do have an I-pod as a contingency, but I am not happy with it, and it isn't worth a d@mn in my opinion. There is a pic included with this post.

Thanks
Chris
aka
StaHi

Attachments
214696-Monsoon.jpg (109 downloads)

Edited by stahimooney (10/05/2004 02:59)

#215897 - 10/05/2004 06:23 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
stahimooney

I have read some of the other threads on this and I didn't see what I was looking for so...

Oh yea... that whole dream car thread... A WRX? No thanks I'll keep my .:R32 it was worth the wait. Also I saw something about a wireless bridge last time I was home that was supposed to make *any* ethernet device wireless... Has anyone attempted this yet... I know a while back the whole wireless thing was beat to death, but this may add a new angle. Hell, I halfway considered mounting an old laptop with a wireless card in the trunk, with an Ethernet feed to the empeg. I would do this with the new car since it is always garaged at night. I figured it would be too much of a pain in the arse.

www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=603&scid=36
Seems like it is simply details of rigging power with that...

#215898 - 10/05/2004 06:28 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
The R32 is a nice piece of kit... I was going to say that insuring one for me would be extortionate but I just got quote for £1200 ($2000) a year comprehensive cover - not bad for a 24 year old with 3yrs no claims.

As for the changer - I'm sure there must be an adapter you can use to fool it into thinking that it has a genuine one attached. I'm sure somebody here has experience of an install. As a last resort you could use a casette adapter (bleah!)

Gareth

Edited by g_attrill (10/05/2004 06:29)

#215899 - 10/05/2004 06:44 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: g_attrill]
stahimooney

I pay $60 a month for full coverage insurance.
A) because I haven't gotten caught yet pushing my Scirocco to 105 in 3rd, or really trying that 0-60 thing in the .:R32--not that 60mph is breaking the law, but when you get there in less than 5 seconds or so who wants to let go of that kind of acceleration? Next thing you know you are doing 120 on I-275.

And B) my insurance company really has no idea what an .:R32 is. No idea at all. I tried to tell them it was a Golf Variant, but it isn't in their computers at all. She asked me if it was a 4 cylander and if it had four doors. I tried to explain I don't want to get hit with a higher rate later... but they didn't seem to get it.

Oh well I am happy with 60 bones a month.

#215900 - 10/05/2004 06:46 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
stahimooney

Pic

Attachments
214704-2004_0426Image0016.JPG (77 downloads)

#215901 - 10/05/2004 10:44 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
the car has a bumper to bumper warranty that will be voided if I replace the head unit.
Are you sure? Does it actually say so in the warranty contract?

That sounds like something a dealership might tell you but isn't actually in the text. If it's actually in the text, what's the exact wording?

I could understand if it said that replacing the radio voids the warranty on the radio. Or that the warranty doesn't apply to aftermarket radio components. But voiding the whole car's warranty by replacing the radio? I don't think it's legal for them to even suggest that, let alone make it a policy.

#215902 - 10/05/2004 12:46 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Is the car in the US? According to the Magnuson-Moss act, they can't void the entire warranty for replacing the stereo. So rip that sucker out of there... (and buy an amp and ditch the other HU).

Matthew

#215903 - 10/05/2004 15:00 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
First let me say that I agree with the posts above that replacing the HU should not void your warrant. However for the sake of information and avoiding work...
1. As far as glove box installations go I thought this one was pretty cool. (also see this)
2. Vertical installation is less than optimal on hard drives, however I don't think I would call it a no no. It simply has limitiations that you have to account for i.e. the obvious visual inconvenience and high probability of shorter HD life. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)
3. And then there's this.

#215904 - 10/05/2004 19:35 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: mwest]
stahimooney

Here is an example from a gentleman on VW Vortex of how he had his installed in his .:R32 It looks good but I am still SUPER paranoid about the warranty and the possibility of messing up my car.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1321092

#215905 - 10/05/2004 22:17 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
DzlDubber
stranger

The thing about voiding your warranty is most likely just the dealer trying to scare you as was already said.

Now as far as requiring the radio for diagnoistics, that is also not true. The radio isn't required at all for any fault codes. Now, the VW radio can return diagnostic data associated with the radio, but it's only related to the radio... if you don't have the radio, there's obviously no need for that. The only thing you have to be concerned about is when you plug in the aftermarket stareo is that you leave the one pin that the vw radio was using for diagnostics unconnected. They call this the K-line, and the problem that sometimes comes up is that people connect these to their new radios to a spot that usually provides a constant 12 volts, which interferes with the rest of the diagnostic system. But as long as you don't connect that wire, you are good to go.

#215906 - 10/05/2004 22:24 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: DzlDubber]
DzlDubber
stranger

By the way, the adapters to fool the CD-changer interface into thinking there is something there are available like somebody posted. I think they go for around $80. And if you were so inclined, you could build one yourself with a microcontroller for a whole lot cheaper than that, which is what i did (I lost the firmware that i programmed it with, but i think somebody else has some available on the net).

But I think you're probably better off just going with an aftermarket deck unit and not even bothering with the VW single-DIN.

#215907 - 11/05/2004 00:45 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: DzlDubber]
Glen_L

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
Actually VW did away with the K-Line on the 2002+ DD Monsoons, replacing it with CAN-Bus. Some details on that here, at the bottom:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

stahimooney, I have a 2002 GTI 337 which shouldn't be too different with respect to the install. My empeg sled is in a half-installed state at the moment, I'm waiting on an antenna amplifier so I can try to connect my tuner. Let me know if you have any questions...

#215908 - 11/05/2004 02:14 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: DzlDubber]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
In reply to:

But I think you're probably better off just going with an aftermarket deck unit and not even bothering with the VW single-DIN.

For what it's worth, I replaced the double-DIN Monsoon in my 2002 Jetta (same interface as the R32) with the previous year's VW single-DIN Monsoon and plugged a VWCDPIC into the CD changer connector in the rear. With the purchase of a few VW factory parts (connector housings for the back of the single-DIN, some repair wires), an aftermarket adapter for the harness, and a little creative soldering, I have the single-DIN radio not only functioning beautifully (including correct dimming with the car's interior illumination) but also responding properly to diagnostic commands over the car's diagnostic interface. The only thing that doesn't work is the volume/track control on the steering wheel (I haven't yet replaced my multifunction steering wheel controller with the one from the earlier model car, which I think would fix this problem - but it's an expensive experiment to do if it doesn't, as those run about $200 new).

I can probably scrounge up all the relevant information with respect to part numbers, wiring diagrams, and the like, if you want it...
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#215909 - 11/05/2004 05:11 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: dmz]
stahimooney

I think I am leaning towards the adapter to fool the radio for now for now.
Like that one site says that Glen_L posted, some dealers have had diagnostic equipment destroyed over aftermarked radios and therefore some refuse to diagnose them. I can see where this may be the source of the dealer comment. I asked him for this policy in writing. I MAY do a glove box installation, but I am not sure about the whole fiber thing. I had it installed on a passenger side shelf once before on my Scirocco. So I could see it clearly. I didn't want to obscure it and risk damaging the sled during install or removal. I secured the sled and was able to dock the radio no problem. I am not crazy about the idea of it being obscured in the glove box. I may attempt to see if I can find a wrecked one and get the dash out of it. I would almost rather cut a hole in a spare dash than mess with the factory radio. WHAT SUCKS IS: I am still in Italy till the end of the month and I can't LOOK at the car other than the few minutes of video I have and think about this. If I end up cutting into my glove box then in a few years when it is out of warranty I will want to install this in the console, and that will suck. Grrr. I think the factory radio is NOT worth keeping however to install my head unit, the empeg, an amp AND replace the 6-8 speakers in the damn thing--they are all 2 ohm I have been told. This seems to be more of a pain than it's worth.

Here is what I DO want to do: You see this car is special to me. I had a really nasty divorce a while back. Credit went through the wringer, alot of pain and heartache. I am 31yrs old and I don't make alot of money to begin with. An E-5 in the military with a wife and kid, if the wife doesn't work, they qualify for food stamps. My situation isn't that bad... I am an E-6 with a wife that does work, I have three kids, two of which I pay child support on. ANYHOW... this is my first new car. I have spent along time straightening out my credit. I had to convince the credit union that I didn't owe back child support. Support Enforcement is real quick to throw you under the bus if you are behind--or in my case when I had a judgement for support increased. But to get them to admit that you are paid and your credit shouldn't suffer anymore... that's another story. As I said this is my first new car and I have a very strong desire to protect it and keep it as new as possible. I know that isn't possible to keep it perfect but I WANT to. It represents a rebuilding of sorts. Five years ago I couldn't have gotten an asswhooping on credit. I am remarried and this is MY car. I have an 8 year loan. I pay it off when my oldest turns 17. And he may end up with it when it is paid for--not likely but I may have some temporary fit of insanity. I am going to try really hard to pay it off sooner. I won't refinance unless I can get it at 4% or lower.

I am very hesitant to mess with it. It has the new car smell... I want to revell in THAT for a while. I catch myself turning the radio down so that I can HEAR the exhaust.

Reality will kick in at some point I'll scrape the rims or someone will hit me...something will happen, and at that point I will look at it differently and I will be ok to tear away at the radio. So I guess what I am saying is that I want to do the minimal least intrusive install I possibly can until then. I think the CD Changer Device to fool the head unit and I may just get an inverter and run it off of AC--that is what I am starting to think. I know that is a ghetto way to do it, but I am just not ready to really modify it yet.

#215910 - 11/05/2004 05:59 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
#1 Thats My R32 on vortex with the Empeg (Kudos on your selection of car)

#2 You wont void your warranty

#3 You wont throw ANY codes.

#4 Sound improves when you get rid of that damn Monsoon HU.

#5 If you haven't done so already, DO THE EXHAUST MOD! I end up turning off the Empeg just to hear the exhaust at times, it's erotic.

#6 Quote "some dealers have had diagnostic equipment destroyed over aftermarked radios and therefore some refuse to diagnose them. I can see where this may be the source of the dealer comment." No K-wire, that was the one you couldn't hook up. It's not there anymore.

Sorry for the hasty #'ed post, but I gotta get to work. Enjoy the car.

Edited by Satan_X (11/05/2004 06:03)

#215911 - 11/05/2004 10:31 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have an 8 year loan. I pay it off when my oldest turns 17. And he may end up with it when it is paid for
I wouldn't worry about that. VW's don't last that long.

#215912 - 11/05/2004 11:02 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: dmz]
DzlDubber
stranger

dmz, I think I have pretty much the same set up as you... Empeg using the OEM single-DIN radio for amplification (and radio) with something to fool it into thinking it's a CD player.

But if i was doing it over again (and didn't already have a single-DIN unit) I would still go for an aftermarket deck. Actually, I wouldn't use one at all and would just use an amp, but I like the benefit of having the radio there. Using a decent aftermarket deck should, by most accounts, improve the sound if you're using it as an amplifier - that's what i always hear anyway, but who knows if that's just a placebo affect. In addition, you'd probably end up with a CD player as well - and I know we sometimes heap scorn on CDs here, but they're not all bad sometimes, and it's certainly better than the cassette unit the OEM radio has. The only benefit of using the VW radio is that it looks cool. Being able to use the steering wheel controls would also be cool but can't that only really be used for volume control when the empeg is playing? (I don't have them, so I don't really know).

#215913 - 11/05/2004 15:12 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: tfabris]
stahimooney

Tony--Won't last that long?!? I will say this. Besides the R32 I have an 83 Rabbit and an 85 Scirocco... I have beat the hell out of both of them. Especially my Scirocco, some of the things I have done to that car are crimes, and I have never had a car that stands up to it better. GM's and Fords don't stand up to my abuse. Say what you want buy I have never killed a VW. I have parted a few out... but I have never killed one. I can't say the same for the Mid 80's Gm cars I owned.

#215914 - 11/05/2004 15:59 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: Satan_X]
stahimooney

Satan-X

I plan on doing the exhaust mod as soon as I get back to the states. The R32 is in Tennessee and I am in Italy.

I knew that was your R32--you replied to me when I posted on the R32 forum about this same subject. haha

Attachments
214940-Picture 5.jpg (98 downloads)

#215915 - 11/05/2004 19:14 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
Satan_X
enthusiast

(Creepy music)
Don't worry, I'm not stalking you.

#215916 - 12/05/2004 02:17 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: Satan_X]
stahimooney

As long as you acknowledge MY .:R32 is the BATMOBILE, and therefore I am BATMAN, no problem. HAHA

Actually I may have my .:R32 in Jersey in a few weeks. I may ask to take a good look at your install if I may. My wife has family near Woodstown, the Cowtown Rodeo and all that. (that and she went to Rutgers) so we will be all over that state.

Attachments
214966-Picture 6.jpg (111 downloads)

#215917 - 12/05/2004 05:45 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Come to the tollbooth state and I'll be glad to show you my install. I'll PM you my information to contact me later on today...

Edited by Satan_X (12/05/2004 09:09)

#215918 - 12/05/2004 16:22 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: DzlDubber]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

But if i was doing it over again (and didn't already have a single-DIN unit) I would still go for an aftermarket deck. Actually, I wouldn't use one at all and would just use an amp, but I like the benefit of having the radio there. Using a decent aftermarket deck should, by most accounts, improve the sound if you're using it as an amplifier

Hijack:
Bass +4
L/R Alignment 0.6 Right.

Not bad for OEM.

#215919 - 12/05/2004 20:58 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
I yanked my monsoon in my Jetta and replaced it with the empeg, and also junked the factory amp and put an xtant in. The factory amp is not that great, it is also designed for 12volt input, not line level.

If you yank the double-din radio, you will have to pick up a standard VW dash pocket.. you should be able to do all this without serious modification.. the dash module should be a pull out unit...

*jelous of the R32 *

#215920 - 12/05/2004 21:00 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: stahimooney]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
oh.. i forgot to say this.. I don't know who told you that replacing the head unit voids the warrenty, but that's bunk. I had an O2 sensor malfunction on my jetta under warrenty, and they replaced it no problem. The only thing they will do is say the warrenty is void if they can actualy prove that the head unit caused the problem. Like if you put in a huge ass amp, and you blow out the alternator.

#215921 - 15/05/2004 22:14 Re: Vee-Dubya Install [Re: SuperQ]
ecoen
new poster

Just curious... Did you keep the Monsoon speakers or upgrade when you swapped out the head unit and amp?