Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#229469 - 03/08/2004 06:30 Setting up EQ with Ultracurve
gw0udm
new poster

Hi,

I've been reading about the Auto-EQ stuff and noticed that someone had used an Ultracurve to set their EQ up manually. Given that I'm too impatient to wait for the software to be released, I've borrowed an Ultracurve 8000 and appropriate microphone to have a go myself.

What's the best way to go about it? What sort of sound do I need to play through the empeg to best calibrate it? Would some sort of white noise be the best?

Apols for the 'clueless newbie' nature of this, but I've never really had the chance to play around with this sort of kit before.

I'd be grateful for any pointers / advice.

James

#229470 - 03/08/2004 06:39 Re: Setting up EQ with Ultracurve [Re: gw0udm]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Would some sort of white noise be the best?

John or John would be better qualified to answer this question, but we used the Berhinger's (sp?) pink noise generator mode, with the mic just behind the front seats.

The Berhinger emits the pink noise, then displays what it's getting from the mic. We then tweaked the empeg's EQ to make this display as flat as we could. This involved tweaking the gain and crossover on the amp's sub channel as well.

Then, obviously, I boosted the bass a little to cater for road noise, and we were done.

Fortunately, Patrick's house (outside of which we did this) is on a nice quiet road, so there were few external noise sources.

#229471 - 05/08/2004 13:48 Re: Setting up EQ with Ultracurve [Re: Roger]
JonnyGee
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Yes, this is what we did. The Behringer's line out went into the car player's aux in, and the car player's source was set to "aux".

The only inconvenience was having to run a mains extension lead over the pavement, but no-one seemed too worried by it.

Cheers, John

#229472 - 06/08/2004 14:59 Re: Setting up EQ with Ultracurve [Re: JonnyGee]
gw0udm
new poster

Great, thanks for this. I'll have a mess with it over the weekend.

James