Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#265379 - 17/09/2005 21:55 Adding second drive without serial?
NasalGoat

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I physically installed a second hard drive in my MKII empeg but I don't have the ability to make a serial connection to the port to get shell. I have ethernet connectivity only.

Is there a way to make the unit recognize the second drive without shell? If not, is there a way to get shell on the player without serial?

It currently has the latest hijack kernel.

#265380 - 17/09/2005 23:10 Re: Adding second drive without serial? [Re: NasalGoat]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Uh, tricky. You either need a serial connection (console) or you need to load a telnet daemon or rsh or some other communication package that is not there by default. I strongly recommend trying for serial console - knowing that it sounds like you do not have the ability to do so at the moment.

You might be able to use ftp's exec commands, but I am not sure if it will give you enough flexibility to build a secondary hard drive. Basically, you would have to do this and then this to partition and build the secondary drive.

You might also be able to create a script with the proper commands, send them to the player and execute them with the ftp daemon. See this thread for a description of doing this with a slightly less complicated case.

#265381 - 18/09/2005 22:17 Re: Adding second drive without serial? [Re: NasalGoat]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
but I don't have the ability to make a serial connection

This is the root problem we need to work on. Peek here. The solution is surprisingly simple.