Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#269585 - 15/11/2005 04:09 Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Colored lit buttons for the NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 are well within reach. I received a quote from my injection molding company today and the numbers look decent. I'll never make back the money, but when has that ever stopped me.

Like standard lit buttons, these will come in Red, Blue, Smoke, Green, and Amber. A set will contain four identical cylinder buttons but no knob. Sets will be available individually or discounted as a five-color Super Set. Pricing will be reasonable, in line with standard buttons.

If you would like to be notified when they are available, send a message to:

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or ideas, please post them here. Otherwise, keep watching here for updates!

Attachments
269545-c-lst-wl.gif (123 downloads)

#269586 - 15/11/2005 08:26 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: FireFox31]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
It's entirely up to you, but I have to wonder if it'll be worth it. NewFaces are expensive, and there are never going to be that many of them out there. Of course, you can make some assuptions about the dedication of people who have newfaces, and assume a much higher percentage will want colored buttons. The empeg buttons had no alternative, and I'm gratefull that you took it upon yourself to break the curse. Seeing as the farnell buttons already come in clear and black, it seems a much less pressing need.

All that being said, if you accept that it's a labor of love and you want colored buttons for your newface, go for it.

Matthew

#269587 - 15/11/2005 14:13 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: matthew_k]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I want black buttons for example (I was going to get them to fit the stock or Webroach fascia whenever that comes out). But I'll probably get at least one NewNewFace and those will already come with black and clear buttons. Therefore my button needs will be filled.

#269588 - 16/11/2005 03:41 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I've been wondering for a while now: "What makes people not want lit buttons?"

If I turn off my button lights, I feel blind, unable to easily find my controls. And I love swapping colors for a change of pace.

Maybe people need to live with them to see what they were missing. Or maybe people don't want the flashy extra light and color. Or maybe it all costs too much.

Would anyone describe why they don't want/need lit buttons (or colored buttons for the NNF, NF, Mk1)? I'm having a hard time seeing past my love of the glow.

#269589 - 16/11/2005 03:55 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I don't tend to look at the empeg when pressing the buttons, so it's not helpful for navigation, and I don't want more flash/chrome/bling/whatever. I wouldn't be opposed to a more subdued presentation, say a ring of light around the button, but that'd be more difficult, more costly, and, since I'm not inclined to get it anyway, not something I'd buy.

That said, I bought a set of black buttons from you and they're awesome. It looks a hell of a lot nicer than the stock grey buttons. I only wish they were a little smoother; you can see the tooling marks in the mold.

#269590 - 16/11/2005 05:44 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: FireFox31]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well, see, it happens like this. You've heard about lit buttons for years, and one day you're at an empeg meet and Tony whips out his empeg with brian's glowing green buttons and you think "Damn, those are nice." However, you can't buy Brian's buttons, because the people who have them protect them with their life and never sell them. Years later, buttons come on the market and you finally have a chance at getting lit buttons.

So you hop over the Eutronix to find out about getting your empeg pimped out. You start shopping. "Oh, if I'm going to send my player off, I might as well get a digital out board"... Might as well add in a new drive cable, you never know when the current one will die. So now, your Eutronics shopping cart is up to $400, and you havn't even gotten to that allureing "Buttons" link at the top of the board.

At this point, you sigh, decide that paying your credit card bill is probably more important this month (even if you bank doesn't think so... they illegally hold your tax refund check for 5 days, which causes your CC payment to bounce. but I digress.)

I've gone through variations of this for months. I'd love lit buttons, I just don't have the $500 sitting around.

Matthew

#269591 - 16/11/2005 15:33 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't like the look of lit buttons. I don't think they look as high end or suitable for 99% of car installs as non-lit buttons. Now let me explain this... As Bitt mentioned, this is mainly because of what current "stock" lit buttons look like (or how they work).

The whole button lights up. I don't want a Lite Brite in my car. I would rather go with black buttons and make some mods to allow light through in a more controlled way - such as a shape, symbol or small hole. Similar to the NewKnob or NewNewKnob. It only lets through points of light.

And since the NewNewFace will also ship with clear buttons, those who want color can fill those with a colored piece of plastic, mylar, etc. for their desired effect.

So though I do want to install a lighting kit in my player, I'm after a much more subtle effect.

Bruno

#269592 - 16/11/2005 15:37 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: FireFox31]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Would anyone describe why they don't want/need lit buttons (or colored buttons for the NNF, NF, Mk1)? I'm having a hard time seeing past my love of the glow.

I don't like the extra bling. I have purchased and installed black buttons from you though and I enjoy them.

#269593 - 16/11/2005 23:25 Re: Buttons - for NewNewFace, NewFace, and MK1 [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I considered the "ring" effect, but couldn't make it happen easily enough. That was for the metal button idea, which would have been a good compromise between metal and light.

Thanks for the input. I might just have to pass on this extended project. It costs 3x more than I expected. I'll give it a few more days before I abandon it.