Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#267406 - 16/10/2005 14:03 Problems with playlists resetting....
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I recently have had the dreaded "No Hard Drive Found' problem....when I opened up my empeg, I noticed that one of the hard drives was disconnected (or was loose and when I pulled the hard drive tray out became disconnected.) although it still isn't working right (it sometimes freezes, when I shuffle all the songs, it takes a really long time to start playing.) my main issue right now is that when I pull out my empeg and put it back in it always says 'end of playlist' but it is like there is no playlist at all...the songs are still there, and the regular playlists are there, but the one that was playing disappears. any ideas on what this might be?

#267407 - 16/10/2005 18:16 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: burdell1]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
It's too large for whatever max fid size your player binary has?

#267408 - 16/10/2005 21:59 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: Daria]
burdell1
old hand

no...i don't believe so...it has never been a problem before...

#267409 - 17/10/2005 04:03 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
my main issue right now is that when I pull out my empeg and put it back in it always says 'end of playlist'

We *JUST* went through this with someone else in another thread. I had this same problem recently myself when I had a lose hard disk cable.

The problem is that your disk hardware trouble has caused the dynamic data partition to become corrupted. This partition is where the current running order of songs is stored. It is written to each time you try to select a playlist (hence the slowness and freezes when starting up a playlist), and it is read from each time the player boots (hence the lack of playlists at boot time).

To solve the problem, do the steps below, in this exact order. (I'm going to FAQ this as soon as I can, most likely using the language I'm posting right here. Since this is the third time it's come up, I'll call it "frequent". )

First:
Solve all of your disk drive hardware problems. Make absolutely certain all of your hardware problems are solved. Nothing, absolutely none of the other steps below, will help if you're still having hardware trouble. This means going through every single step in the disk drive hardware troubleshooting FAQ I just linked, and making certain that you're not having any of the listed problems.

Second:
Make sure you have no file system corruption by doing an e2fsck.

Third:
Rebuild your databases manually.

Fourth:
Check your hard disk for sector errors.

Fifth:
This is the step that actually solves the problem. But without all the other steps above being carefully and methodically completed, you should not attempt this step. What you need to do is fully erase the dynamic data partition. If your dynamic data partition has any bad sectors, this may re-map them on the hard disk, allowing the dynamic data partition to use good sectors for those instead.

Please note that this fifth step will erase certain other stored data, as well. You will lose your equalizer preset details, your radio tuner stored presets, etc., so write those things down prior to doing that last step.

Sixth:
If this solves the problem, Great. But still, pay close attention to the way your player is behaving. If it the problem crops up again after the player being OK for a while, consider that you might have a bad hard disk (and should order a replacement ASAP) or that you might still be having some other kind of disk hardware trouble such as a dry solder joint on the IDE header (and should be sending the player in for repair).

If it does not solve the problem, and you're certain you've done all the above steps methodically (especially the part about ruling out hardware trouble), then you might be having trouble with the total number of tracks on your player. There is a ceiling in the number of tracks that the player's database features can index at once. In order for this to be the issue, the number of tracks on your player would have to be in the tens of thousands. If this seems to be your problem, then there are a couple of hacks you can do which will slightly improve the database ceiling limit. Search the empeg BBS for the "max_fid" hack. But based on your problem description, I don't think this is the problem you're having. I think it's the corrupted dynamic data partition.

Let us know how you fare.

#267410 - 03/01/2006 15:59 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: tfabris]
burdell1
old hand

could I just backup all the mp3s to my computer and reformat the hard drive and put them back on?

#267411 - 03/01/2006 16:35 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes, but you will lose all the playlists you created (if any), and lose any edits to the tag data you made on the player (if any).

If you keep your PC organized the same way as the player is organized, then reformatting the player isn't a big deal.

The procedure I outlined above, while more complicated, is faster than reloading the whole player from scratch. It's not as tough as it looks, as long as you follow those steps carefully.

#267412 - 11/01/2006 13:54 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: tfabris]
burdell1
old hand

how do you format the hard drive?

#267413 - 11/01/2006 17:17 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: burdell1]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Download a builder firmware image for your player (be careful to choose Mk 1 or 2). Update your player with this firmware. Reboot and it will auto-run to format the disk (subject to caveats). Re-flash your player with the previous version of firmware you were using.

This is all covered in the FAQ.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#267414 - 11/01/2006 20:05 Re: Problems with playlists resetting.... [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And remember that if you are having disk drive hardware problems to cause this to happen in the first place, then reformatting the disk isn't going to help you. It's just going to give you a blank disk that's having hardware problems all over again.

For complete details on how to format the disk, see the drive upgrade guide.