Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282382 - 02/06/2006 21:03 Cobblestone and skipping?
gorman
new poster

I am considering to buy a Rio Car but I'd like to know if anybody has experience with cobblestone streets. In Milan, where I live, they are pretty common and they kind of kill the suspensions, so to speak.

How's the Rio Car handling these situations? Being more or less in the center of the car helps? Are the drives mounted with absorbers of some kind?

#282383 - 02/06/2006 21:07 Re: Cobblestone and skipping? [Re: gorman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The drives are mounted with very small shock absorbers, yes. But the system is meant to tolerate normal street driving, not off-road or extremely bumpy situations. Your description sounds like it's in between the two.

I don't know of any way that you can give us a good idea of just how bumpy your cobblestone streets are. I think this is a borderline case, and it's going to be hard to give an opinion. I do know that it's going to tolerate bumpy roads better than a CD player would, but I don't know how much better.

#282384 - 04/06/2006 10:50 Re: Cobblestone and skipping? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well, my Mk 1 has put up with the rock-hard suspension of my Mini across all sorts of rough roads since '99, still with the original disk(s). No skipping at all, even though that was my original worry. There was one problem with one disk which seemed to be a skip on hard bumps, but I finally traced this to a poor cable crimp.

Disks are cheap these days, and the sled mounting for the drives is good so long as the rubber mounts are properly in place. For confidence, run a drop of superglue under the lips of each one in the sled.

No problems - go for it!!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015