Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#649 - 08/10/1999 18:57 Empeg mention in Auto Sound and Security magazine
spoulson
new poster

I got the November 99 issue of Auto Sound and Security magazine and I noticed something of which you'll all be able to relate to. Since I've got nothing better to do, I might as well type it up!

Before I got ahead, are you guys at Empeg responsible for this? Is there going to be any advertising done in enthusiast magazines like this?

MP3 & ME

First of all, great mag, guys! I really dig the hands-on stuff you do. It makes me feel that you guys are really in the trenches and doing hands on kind of stuff, not just writing about what other people do. Anyway, I have a question about MP3. I know what it is and how it works for music on computers, but how does it work in the car environment? What do I have to do, install a big bad Pentium II computer in the back seat just to listen to MP3s? And do you know of any MP3 players? I think I saw something about a portable player, but I can't remember. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks, and keep up the good work with the hands on stuff.

Scott Jeter Medford, OR

Actually Scott, it's funny that you mention MP3. Our sister publication Car Audio & Electronics Magazine, will be a doing a story on a MP3 player for the car environment next month. Be on the look out for that. The portable MP3 player you are thinking of is the Diamond Multimedia Rio. The only drawback to this unit is it only lets you play around 70 minutes worth of music. Now there is a player coming out of England that is being developed, and while I can't give away much information, I will print what I got from their Web site. To quote them, "We think it's a pretty neat unit. The initial design is to go in your car, but you can use it at home, on a boat ... almost anywhere. The principle is to store CD-quality music using MPEG technology onto a hard disk in the unit and use the power of an embedded computer to serve up the music you want, when you want it. No more messing around with changing discs or tapes. You design what gets played based on a criteria you define. The other key advantage of the MPEG player is the amount of music you can keep on it. At 4 GB (the base model), you'll have 70 hours of non-stop playing time. That's probably enough for all your favorites, your best friend's favorites, your mum's favorites plus those you hope you'll like some day. Of course, from the 'mine if bigger than yours' viewpoint, the top level is currently 28 GB (and it'll only get bigger as higher capacity drives become available). Mind-numbingly massive (476 hours), it's almost three weeks without a repeat. That's about 500 albums, all in a unit only 6 x 5 x 2 inches. Useful for people with small cars and large music collections." There you have it. Look for more on this later.

---
Shawn Poulson
[email protected]

#650 - 09/10/1999 10:16 Re: Empeg mention in Auto Sound and Security magazine [Re: spoulson]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

We have dozens of publications on our press list, however we are currently holding back full reviews until the software is nolonger in Beta. Nonetheless we have been featured in news articles and sidebars of many publications including the New York Times, Car Stereo Magazine, What HiFi, New Media Magazine and Car Audio & Electronics Magazine. In the UK alone we will shortly be featured in Max Power, @Demon and Car HiFi Magazine. Many overseas are currently looking at the player including Shift, Ziff Davis and MP3.com.

As for advertising - we'll begin media marketing when we need to. Right now don't want to add to the already huge backlog!

Rob

#651 - 10/10/1999 12:13 Re: Empeg mention in Auto Sound and Security magazine [Re: rob]
PaulH
enthusiast

Loc: England
Oh no please Rob not Max Power. How long is it going to
be before they are selling imitation stick on empeg players
for 10 quid :-)

Cheers

Paul

#652 - 12/10/1999 04:54 Re: Empeg mention in Auto Sound and Security magazine [Re: rob]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Don't forget Playboy... there was mention of the EMPEG in there a few months ago!