Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1404 - 01/02/2000 12:33 Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area?
dborel
new poster

I was just wondering if someone had an Empeg unit that I could look at. I am very interested in this unit, but would like to see one firsthand.

Thanks!!

- Dug

#1405 - 01/02/2000 13:07 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: dborel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Careful!

If you see one in action, you're going to want one. Badly. And you won't be able to get one for another couple of months.

Post your request on the empeg mailing list, too, someone there might be in AZ.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#1406 - 01/02/2000 15:36 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: dborel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Go to: http://www.empeg.mars.org and you will find a registry with about 140 empeg owners, two of whom happen to live in Phoenix, AZ.

As tfabris said, though, it'll probably be a pretty expensive trip.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#1407 - 02/02/2000 04:05 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: dborel]
xavyer

I'm one of those two individuals listed in Phoenix. If you can wait until I finish getting the Empeg installation completed, I'd be glad to demo the Empeg to you. I've got at least another weekend's worth of 'fiddling around with it' to do.

#1408 - 02/02/2000 09:42 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: xavyer]
dborel
new poster

Awesome!! I noticed that you didn't have an email address listed. I'll just pay attention to this thread, and when you're done if you could post back, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

- Dug

#1409 - 02/02/2000 18:36 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: dborel]
Clarke
journeyman

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ USA
I'm one of the owners of an empeg that lives in Phoenix.

The unit is installed into my 1995 BMW M3 and sounds great. I do still have an issue with alternator whine which I just haven't had the time to track down but I'd be happy to show it to you.

I live in the foothills area. Drop me an e-mail: [email protected] so we can set something up.

=-C

______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial

#1410 - 06/02/2000 09:50 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: dborel]
xavyer

dborel,

email me in private; xavyer at ix dto netcom otd com.

#1411 - 06/02/2000 11:36 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: xavyer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

xavyer at ix dto netcom otd com

Let me guess... you really don't like getting spam. I've never seen someone deliberately misspell the "dot"s to thwart parsers.

#1412 - 06/02/2000 12:06 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: tfabris]
xavyer

the first one was a typo, and the second one was deliberate; as I was about to correct it, I thought, 'why bother?, it'll only help'. As for the spam issue, no, I really don't like being bothered with the stuff, any more than I like having 'telemarketers' calling me on the telephone. I pay the bill for the telephone, and the internet service; that doesn't mean that I desire to have every 'Tom', 'Dick', or 'Harry' contact me with some proposition for my presumed 'benefit'.

Question for you ... what is it that you do, that you are browsing this site all the time? I have noticed that there is very little that escapes your attention. You must be gainfully employed in an 'internet' related business; either that, or you're single. :)

#1413 - 06/02/2000 12:59 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: xavyer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Nah, I'm just never very far from an internet connection. I'm married, but my job is computer-network related, so I am able to check the BBS a few times a day.

I post a lot to this BBS because the Empeg is my favorite new toy, and I enjoy getting involved in discussions about it. Plus, this BBS has a lot of intelligent, articulate people participating. That's rare.

#1414 - 06/02/2000 13:56 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: tfabris]
xavyer

Agreed. It's been my favorite 'time sink' as of late, and a great source of amusement. I'm just now finishing up the installation (what a pain!). I should have the door panels back together in a little while (finally, a complete car!, no missing 'pieces'). I've still got to cable tie a few more places, and get the amp tuned up to deal with the empeg, and get the crossover frequency set, and ... well, you get the picture, details at this point. Then, of course, there will be the 'deal with the noise' issues (they are _always_ present, without fail). However, i'm much closer to being done that I was last week.

#1415 - 06/02/2000 16:33 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: xavyer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Then, of course, there will be the 'deal with the noise' issues (they are
_always_ present, without fail)

The only way I've been able to reduce the noise on my Mk 1 is to use this technique to adjust my amplifier input gains. Basically, you crank down your amplifier inputs so that you need to bring the Empeg's volume up much louder. This increases the S/N ratio, lowers the overall noise floor, and increases the quality.

#1416 - 06/02/2000 18:36 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: tfabris]
xavyer

Hmmm ... must be a 'tried and true' technique, as this is similar to the one listed in the instruction manual which came with the amplifier. My comment was aimed from a somewhat cynical viewpoint. In my past experiences; if it seems 'easy', it isn't. Though, I must admit, this installation 'fought me tooth and nail' all the way. It sure seemed like my car didn't want the Empeg installed (can't understand why!). However I can now say, that I'm successful, and the new speakers, amp, and empeg sled are mounted in the car. Most everything is put back together, a little worse for the wear in some locations (put screws back in, get to last screw and realise you forgot to put X back into place, pull all screws back out; and I managed to break a plastic piece, trip to dealership!). It's getting dark out, so I guess I'll have to finish during the week (light in the garage just doesn't cut it). Lots of light is requisite when dealing with power connections :) IT JUST SUCKS! I'm SO close to being done just as daylight slips away! Gadz!, it's just like when I was kid, on Christmas eve! I suppose I'll have to console myself by ripping some more CD's to d/l into the empeg. You know, it would be nice if there was a 'space used/space remaining' command in 'emptool'. Yes, I'm a Linux user, and no I'm not a 'zealot'. Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll stop. (Not that any of this is even remotely on this particular thread's topic.)

#1417 - 07/02/2000 04:26 Re: Anyone in Phoenix, AZ area? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Well said, Mr. Fabris!

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015