Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#2864 - 11/05/2000 09:40 Want to buy a player need advice
Ashenor
new poster

Loc: MI
This seems to be a great product can anyone offer any advice. Does this device only work with linux? If so i just got a Linux box set up. Should i set it with its own amp or hook it though the stock radio? I have a 99 Grand Cherokee this will be going in. When is the Mark 2 coming out and how much will it be? Thanks for all the help i appreciate it.

#2865 - 11/05/2000 09:52 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: Ashenor]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...I'll leave the lenghty explanation to tfabris and others:) but in short, no, you don't need linux to run this - it just happens to support it.. take a look here for a list of prices..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#2866 - 11/05/2000 10:25 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'll leave the lenghty explanation to tfabris and others

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or offended?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2867 - 11/05/2000 11:01 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: Ashenor]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, since Dionysus nominated me for this one, I guess I'll have to step up to the task.

Does this device only work with linux?

This device runs Linux as its internal "embedded" operating system, but you never need to touch Linux in order to use it. You don't have to know about Z-80 assembly language to operate your microwave, do you?

The software you use to load songs into it is actually a Win98 program. In fact, to run that software, Windows 98 or Windows 2000 is pretty much required if you want to use the USB cable to squirt your tunes into it.

For your Linux box, there are some extra software tools you can download if you want them. But they are more primitive than the Windows software and you don't have to use them.

Should i set it with its own amp or hook it though the stock radio?

You can do either one. It is a single-DIN sized unit designed to go into your dash, so your car's dashboard design will really dictate which one of those things you end up doing (i.e., is there an extra space for a second radio in your dash?). If you replace the factory radio completely, don't worry. You won't miss the factory radio one bit.

From the looks of it (I checked the pics at the Jeep web site- assuming your 99 model is similar to the 2000 models shown there), you have a single-DIN opening that is slightly oversized to fit the factory stereo faceplate style. Your installer will need an aftermarket fitting kit to make it look good and hide the gaps between the Empeg and the rest of the dash. Again, don't worry- this is the standard thing that the installers do when fitting aftermarket stereos and it'll look fine.

You will, like you said, need to fit it with its own amplifier. Again, a qualified installer can do this properly for you.

When is the Mark 2 coming out and how much will it be?

According to the last newsletter, they start to come off the assembly line June 9th. If you haven't signed up in advance (i.e., last year) to get one, then you'll have to wait for the backlog to clear before they get to your order. These are fairly limited to small production runs- the plan, last I heard, was to produce 1000 units per month. So if you register now, you should get one by late summer.

There is a range of prices depending upon your storage needs. It starts at $1199.00 for a 6gb model, and runs up to $1949.00 for a 36gb model.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2868 - 11/05/2000 11:57 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: tfabris]
Ashenor
new poster

Loc: MI
Thanks i apprecaite the feedback. I registered to order mine so hopefully i will be able to get one this summer. I have alot of pecies from some older systems i used to have, so i quess i will peice a system back together for my Cherokee, luckily i still have some amps and some MB Quarts Laying around. What all do you need to make a rack unit out of one of these? I would like to use it on my home stereo and in my car. Thanks for everyone that has helped, hopefully i will get one soon and you can help me play with it some =).

#2869 - 11/05/2000 12:55 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Tony, you're a walking, talking FAQ man. (compliment)

;)

Calvin

#2870 - 11/05/2000 13:56 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I'm not sure if I should be flattered or offended?

I was just meaning that you're often very helpful - you should be flattered..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#2871 - 11/05/2000 13:59 Re: Want to buy a player need advice [Re: Ashenor]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What all do you need to make a rack unit out of one of these?

I don't bother with a rack mount. I just keep an extra power plug and an extra pair of RCA cables at each location I intend to use the Empeg (which for me is: living room, computer room, and my desk at work). Just sit it on the shelf next to your stereo (or right on top of the stereo if you like) and plug it in. If all you're doing is listening to the unit indoors, you have only three plugs to connect: Left audio, right audio, and power.

However, if you're really interested in a rackmount, there are other folks who have done precisely that. What they did is ordered a second in-car docking sled and built their own box with 12v power to house it.

Although that works, it has one disadvantage: Whenever the unit is in a sled, it thinks it's in a car. The Empeg has a neat feature which allows its volume and EQs to have two different "personalities": one for in the house and one for in the car. If your in-house mounting is a docking sled, then you always have the "in car" personality. For some people, this isn't a problem. But for me, it's important that I get a different set of EQs when I'm in the house.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144