Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13843 - 13/08/2000 16:26 Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's
abrenner
new poster

Loc: Los Altos, CA, USA
Hi.

My 12gig MkII is sitting at US Customs at FedEx in Memphis right now (frustrating), but I should have it by tuesday.

This leads me to two questions:

1. Anyone have recommendations for an installer in the SF Bay Area that has done a good job on an empeg?

2. Anyone install an empeg in an A4? I have the 98.5 Bose Concert stereo. I'm also getting DIN spacers and the proper wiring harness along with the unit, so all that's left is to acquire an amp. Recommendations on amp and any wiring/install experiences with an A4?

Thanks!
Andy.

#13844 - 13/08/2000 20:21 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: abrenner]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just an FYI... there's an "Installation Notes" forum for this sort of conversation.

#13845 - 13/08/2000 20:26 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: abrenner]
UncleSocks
new poster

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I plan on having Monney do the install in my TT. They have a number of stores in the Bay Area. My wife has exchanged emails with the owner and they are very interested in doing an install.

I won't have my Empeg for a few weeks - but if you go there then at least you can mention me as another interested customer who is hoping you end up happy. The owner works out of the redwood city store, but there is a Monney right next to the Burlingame Audi dealership.

[email protected]
Belmont, CA

#13846 - 13/08/2000 21:08 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: UncleSocks]
jbauer
veteran

How much in Monney going to charge to install it?

I am going to be in the same boat soon too... I hope...

I had most of my existing work on my Miata done at Bay Car Stereo on Geary. They are pretty good, but some of their attention to detail was kinda poor...

- Jon

#13847 - 13/08/2000 22:51 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: jbauer]
UncleSocks
new poster

Re: cost
It is unclear - Monney goes kinda high end - but I've heard good things about them. Haven't even talked price - I'm missing two things:

1) The car (ETA 3 days ;-))
2) The Empeg (ETA ??? - Reg number #15xxx)

#13848 - 14/08/2000 01:43 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: tfabris]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Look out, it's the forum police.

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#13849 - 14/08/2000 10:44 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: Geoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Look out, it's the forum police.

You didn't catch my changed signature on that post.

#13850 - 14/08/2000 11:10 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: tfabris]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
In reply to:

You didn't catch my changed signature on that post.

Doh!!!
Guess that's a well-deserved Dope Slap for me then...

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...

Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#13851 - 14/08/2000 12:39 Re: Audi A4 SF Bay Area Install q's [Re: UncleSocks]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Be careful which Monney you bring it into. The Monney shop next to Target in Serramonte is very very bad. I went there to do an installation, I bought all the stuff from them, and they did a half assed job, the fronts and rears were reversed, I took it to them, and they swapped the left and the right. It took all day because of the wait, and when I tested it, I discovered the swap and they had to spend another day fixing that. I picked it up and discovered my interior fuses are blown. I took it back and once that is fixed, a week later I was experiencing real bad electrical noise, and at first they said they could do nothing about it but at my insistence, I had them look it over -- turns out they didn't scrape the paint off the grounding clip so it only had momentary ground contact. Geez, I thought they're supposed to be the experts? Anyway the think that irked me the most was when they gave the car to me the shop was closing, I had to drive 45 miles back home and none of the instrumentation was lit!! I had no idea how fast I was going, or whatever!! shiiiit!

I'm not going to say that all Monney shops are like this but the one near Serramonte had me going back like 5 times to get the job done right and they are not cheap and they are not quick. The attention to detail is not that great either. They left scrapes and scratches on the dash opening the dash -- they didn't use a cloth to prevent a scratch pulling the bezel out. Sheesh! With Monney if its not one thing it's another.

Calvin