Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15279 - 24/08/2000 08:41 need installation tip
akeller
new poster

I just got my empeg today (it looks better than I pictured!) I have an autopc already in my car, and I would like to keep it in there. Does anyone know how I can add the empeg to my existing system? I do not see how I can hook up 2 sets of RCA cables for each line. Thanks,
Adam

#15280 - 24/08/2000 09:36 Re: need installation tip [Re: akeller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I do not see how I can hook up 2 sets of RCA cables for each line.

You don't use 2 sets. Assuming that your AutoPC has an auxilliary line input, then just choose one pair of outputs from the Empeg (either the fronts or the rears), and put those into the AutoPC's line input.

If the AutoPC doesn't have a line input, but it does have a line output, then you can go from the AutoPC's line out to the Empeg's line in, using a similar scheme. But for that, you need an amplifier. You didn't say whether your AutoPC is already playing through an amplifier or whether it's using built-in amplification (I don't know if the AutoPC even comes with its own power or not).

The relative merits of "which one comes first" in the audio chain are discussed here.

#15281 - 24/08/2000 10:06 Re: need installation tip [Re: tfabris]
akeller
new poster

<<<>>>

I do not see where an input is on the empeg... maybe I am not seeing it? I have a powerful infinity amp and my autopc has a powerful eq.. so what should I do?
Adam

#15282 - 24/08/2000 10:21 Re: need installation tip [Re: akeller]
akeller
new poster

I just checked, and unfortunalely my autopc does not have an auxillary input, so it looks like I am going from my autopc to my empeg. I have an amp, could you explain how to hook this up? Thanks,

Adam

#15283 - 24/08/2000 10:54 Re: need installation tip [Re: akeller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have an amp, could you explain how to hook this up?

There are six labeled RCA (line level) connector cables coming out of the back of the Empeg's car docking sleeve. There will be four Line Outputs (left/right front/rear) and two Auxilliary Line Inputs (left/right).

According to Crutchfield, your AutoPC has two sets of line level outputs coming out of its back side, as well, and those should also be labeled. Right now, those are probably connected to a longer set of RCA cables which run to the amplifier in your trunk. If your amplifier is a 4-channel model and you can use the AutoPC's fader control, then both sets are probably in use and there are a total of four audio cables running from the AutoPC to your amp.

The (audio only) connections would be as follows:

- Unplug the four long RCA cables (the ones that run to your amp) from the AutoPC carefully noting which ones are which as far as front/rear left/right are concerned.

- Plug those four cables into the four line outputs on the Empeg (corresponding to the front/rear left/right pattern).

- Choose either the front or rear fader position for the AutoPC (you'll be using the Empeg's fader from now on). Then take that pair of output cables from the autoPC and connect it to the Empeg's Auxilliary Line In cables.

That's it for the audio wiring. The power wiring is a completely different story which I'm not going to get into unless you need it.

One note: There will be an amplifier remote control wire ("amp rem") which the AutoPC uses to tell the amplifier when to turn on and off. You should disconnect this from the AutoPC and use the Empeg's amp remote instead (since it's the one making the sound now, it should be the one deciding when to turn the amps on and off).

#15284 - 24/08/2000 11:12 Re: need installation tip [Re: tfabris]
akeller
new poster

Oh my god am i stupid. I completely mis-understood the RCA cables coming out of the back of the empeg, i did not see that one was an input. I am actually fairly experienced at installing systems, I must have sounded a little dense from the questions I asked. Thanks for all your help, the Empeg looks great!

Adam

#15285 - 24/08/2000 11:26 Re: need installation tip [Re: akeller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I am actually fairly experienced at installing systems, I must have sounded a little dense from the questions I asked.

Not dense, just unaware of the connections. If I'd thought you were dense I would have told you to take it to a pro shop.

Thanks for all your help, the Empeg looks great!

So you'll post us some photos? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an Empeg and an AutoPC together in a dashboard.

#15286 - 24/08/2000 11:42 Re: need installation tip [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> So you'll post us some photos? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an
> Empeg and an AutoPC together in a dashboard.

I wonder if they'll fight it out at night.

Rob

#15287 - 24/08/2000 13:29 Re: need installation tip [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I wonder if they'll fight it out at night.

Ooo, hadn't thought of that. You come out in the morning and the AutoPC is all bruised up.

(you see, the Empeg would win 'cause it's more powerful...)

#15288 - 24/08/2000 13:43 Re: need installation tip [Re: tfabris]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Actually, I doubt there'd even be a fight. The empeg has too much class to stoop to that level...

-Trevor

Mark 2, Green 12GB #080000349

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349

#15289 - 24/08/2000 14:59 Re: need installation tip [Re: rob]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Wow that is a TON of cash sitting in a pair of DIN's... Hope he lives in a good neighborhood.