Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19670 - 06/10/2000 12:09 Playing mp3s on my empeg through my computer?
ChrisD
stranger

Loc: NYC and McLean, VA
Maybe this sounds silly to want to do, instead of just booting up winamp or whatever, but if I wanted to play mp3s on my empeg and hear them at work, how would I do this? I don't have speakers with built in amps, and both the line in and mike in jacks didn't seem to give me anything when I plugged the empeg in through those.

#19671 - 06/10/2000 12:21 Re: Playing mp3s on my empeg through my computer? [Re: ChrisD]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
First make sure the empeg is set to 0dB. I'm assuming you are getting sound out of your sound card from other sources (internal cd player for example). Assuming you are using some form of windows... Try double clicking the sound icon in the tray next to the clock on the taskbar, make sure your inputs aren't muted or turned all the way down... and go into Options -> properties to make sure you have the inputs showing on the control panel. Let us know how it goes!

|| loren.cox

#19672 - 06/10/2000 12:22 Re: Playing mp3s on my empeg through my computer? [Re: loren]
ChrisD
stranger

Loc: NYC and McLean, VA
Yeah I've even turned the empeg to 10db overdrive.. But yeah, I made sure all the inputs in the sound widget control panel thing are on and up.

#19673 - 06/10/2000 13:00 Re: Playing mp3s on my empeg through my computer? [Re: ChrisD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah I've even turned the empeg to 10db overdrive..

You should only need it to be at 0db.

Also: Make sure you're not one of the folks having trouble with the Empeg getting confused about whether it's in the house or in the car. If it thinks it's in the car, the fader might be set wrong and the front outputs might not be making any noise. Also make sure the unit isn't paused or trying to play an empty playlist.

But yeah, I made sure all the inputs in the sound widget control panel thing are on and up.

Not all of them. Just "line". Make sure you've plugged the empeg into the line input on your card (make sure, even if it involves pulling the sound card's manual to decipher the labeling on the plugs), then make sure that the sound widget is, in fact, showing a "line" fader. If it's not, then that's your problem:

Options/Properties
Adjust volume for... Playback
Show the following volume controls: Line
OK
Set the line fader to a decent place and uncheck "mute".

If you're still getting no sound, then there's a hardware problem: Bad jack, bad cable, something like that. If you don't have a "line" option at all, then it's a software driver problem.

#19674 - 06/10/2000 17:57 Re: Playing mp3s on my empeg through my computer? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Another option for listening to the empeg at work that works very well for me is described here.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

Edited by tanstaafl. on 7/10/00 01:58 AM.