Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19741 - 08/10/2000 05:17 empeg-car Boot Logo Repository
drakino
carpal tunnel

I just finished getting the functionality of the site to a point where it's automated, so I am officially announcing the opening of the empeg-car Boot Logo Repository.

http://empeg.miniinfo.net is the URL to access the site.

You may browse logos and download them for use on your empeg. Also, if you have created a logo, you can create an account and upload your logo for all to see and use.

#19742 - 08/10/2000 10:51 Re: empeg-car Boot Logo Repository [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nifty site. I like the look of it, and having it done as a back-end automated process is great.

I'm having intermittent trouble connecting to it and getting things to work. Sometimes I'll click on a link and boom, it'll work, other times, it'll time out. Either somebody needs to reboot the Internet for me, or there's something about the site's server that's intermittent?

Also, one tip on the graphical layout: Can you put some blank "gap" space around the images so that they don't run together as much? I believe it's the CELLPADDING attribute of the TABLE tag which controls this.

#19743 - 08/10/2000 12:38 Re: empeg-car Boot Logo Repository [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Nifty site. I like the look of it, and having it done as a back-end automated process is great.

Thanks. Some of the backend was easy, as I simply changed some stuff from an old EQ guild site I ran. But other parts were either redone quite a bit because of new ideas, or written from scratch. I still have some things to add, but at this point it's all functional and any change will be retro on the site automaticially.

I'm having intermittent trouble connecting to it and getting things to work. Sometimes I'll click on a link and boom, it'll work, other times, it'll time out. Either somebody needs to reboot the Internet for me, or there's something about the site's server that's intermittent?

Hmm, I'll have to look into this. Apache is taking quite a bit more memory then I remembered. It could be taking it longer to get additional servers online. I'll try a few things today, and see if it helps. I'll need feedback on this, as a LAN connection dosen't show much (Although every once in a while, the browse page takes a bit to fill in the logos.)

Also, one tip on the graphical layout: Can you put some blank "gap" space around the images so that they don't run together as much? I believe it's the CELLPADDING attribute of the TABLE tag which controls this.

I'll play around with this. I have Cellpadding and Spacing at 0 right now to get the table border nice and small.

#19744 - 15/10/2000 01:03 Re: empeg-car Boot Logo Repository [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have previously said that I was going to have .bin file generation working on my site recently in a few threads. I also indicated it would be working by this weekend, but I was making a fatal mistake. Somehow I had it in my head that the format for the graphic was raw, not the proprietary format tfabris explained in the programming fourm. So, I am going to need to either obtain or create a Linux .bin creator to get the .bin workshop online.

On the plus side, I did change some of the sites code to allow editing or deletion of logos not yet approved by me.

#19745 - 15/10/2000 09:02 Re: empeg-car Boot Logo Repository [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
In reply to:

On the plus side, I did change some of the sites code to allow editing or deletion of logos not yet approved by me.

I'll take credit for that feature after submitting logos two or three times before I got em right. :)

-Tony
MkII #554