Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23047 - 27/11/2000 16:03 Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Quick note:

I started a new category over at the Digital Duo website. It's a tv show I watch semi-regularly. I noticed they didn't have any kind of "car-gadget" category, so I figured the mkII would be great to start it out with . They hacked up my review, but at least most of it is still there. So, if you're up to it, go post a review and lets try to make Empeg shine .

Donato

PS: I have one under Worst Technical Support also. Stay away from PSN. (They hacked up that review too, but ohwell)

________
Donato
MkII/Blue/40GB/080000565

ricin.us

#23048 - 28/11/2000 11:55 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: ricin]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Digital Duo is the most worthless show. If you have a brain, don't bother looking it up in the TV listings.

PS - Sorry if you enjoy the show or know the Duo personally, but I would be surprised if either of them have ever opened the case of a computer.

-Rob
-----
12GB MK2 Blue 090000736 (6166 in the queue)

#23049 - 28/11/2000 14:03 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: robricc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...but I would be surprised if either of them have ever opened the case of a computer.

Your point being?

The vast majority of electronic appliance users (and I include computer users in this group) have never opened the case of a computer or any other electronic device. This program is geared towards end users who are not the sort of people who get all excited about whether the inverse capacitance bias modulation rectifiers are compatible with the dual-boot partition of their workstation, nor is it geared towards the people who would spend $1500--$2500 for a Linux computer that can play music in their car.

...don't bother looking it up in the TV listings.

You may be right in terms of the limited cross-section of the populace who will see your post on this bbs. But rest assured that the viewership of that program among the general public is orders of magnitude greater than the readers of this bbs.

There is definitely room in the world for user-oriented discussions as well as the more technically-oriented types that you (and possibly most of our bbs users) would prefer. It seems a bit harsh to globally condemn a television show that does provide a useful service to a segment of the population that completely dwarfs us techno-loving geeks.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#23050 - 28/11/2000 14:29 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: robricc]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA

PS - Sorry if you enjoy the show or know the Duo personally, but I would be surprised if either of them have ever opened the case of a computer.

Don't know them personally, but I do occasionally watch the show. I find it somewhat informative, even if their opinions never seem to reflect mine. I don't consider either one of them (or anyone else on the show for that matter) to be well versed on what they are talking about, they (people from the show in general) collect information, and then report on what they find. Sometimes it's quasi accurate, but most of the time their personal bias gets in the way. Like I said though, it's still informative even if their opinions and reviews are lacking.

My main point for posting the Empeg there is to just get the word out that it exists, and being that it's a widely televised show, it will have a larger audience than the bbs could attract. That is, if it even makes it on the show. Since they make the final cut, they might not find it interesting enough to include it, but it's still worth a shot.

________
Donato
MkII/Blue/40GB/080000565

ricin.us

#23051 - 28/11/2000 21:00 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: ricin]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I'm sorry to have gone off on a rant, but when I see their image on the screen I get very mad for some reason. I just never thought I would see them mentioned here.

I agree that the show should be on the air, everyone needs a place to get "independent" tech advice. However, I don't necessarily think anyone on this BBS should value their word for anything (I saw their review of the Clarion AutoPC and they liked it). I just happen to think that they have an agenda since they seem to give everything a good review only if it's dumbed-down to the point that a toaster looks difficult to operate.

-Rob
-----

#23052 - 29/11/2000 10:07 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just happen to think that they have an agenda since they seem to give everything a good review only if it's dumbed-down to the point that a toaster looks difficult to operate.

I've never seen this "Digital Duo" show, but one of the concepts being presented here is "non-techy users need to watch a show hosted by non-techy people".

I think that's not actually true. It's possible to have technically-capable people explain things in a simplified way. It's also possible for those same people to base product reviews on ease-of-use. But you need the right people for it to work.

A great example is "The Screen Savers" on ziff-davis television. They are obviously highly technically literate, but have a great way of dumbing stuff down where necessary. Great show.

#23053 - 29/11/2000 11:15 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

I think that's not actually true. It's possible to have technically-capable people explain things in a simplified way.

I definitly know this to be true, considering I have been in tech support for 3 years now. Lucially I got out of the "right side of the mouse" and "TV like screen" desktop support and into "expensive radiator looking thing that says Intel Xeon" server world :-)

#23054 - 29/11/2000 15:49 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: ricin]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
It says it all on their homepage "they're analog people in a digital world" -i.e. they can't keep up.

#090000695 Mk2 BLUE 12Gig

#23055 - 30/11/2000 22:27 Re: Digital Duo: Best Digital Gadget for Your Car [Re: jwickis]
robricc
carpal tunnel

exactly

-Rob
-----