Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24266 - 05/01/2001 14:37 Simple Question about playlists vs. files...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
If a song exsists in several playlists (lets say "Assimilated R23" exists in 3 playlists), are there 3 copies of that song on the empeg? If not, if I rename the song in playlist A, will it be renamed in every other playlist that it exists? Is there any way you can view all the mp3 files on the empeg, or can you only view the playlists from within Emplode?

Ok, maybe that was more than one question!

Brad

#24267 - 05/01/2001 16:21 Re: Simple Question about playlists vs. files... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If a song exsists in several playlists (lets say "Assimilated R23" exists in 3 playlists), are there 3 copies of that song on the empeg?

Depends on how you upload it. Usually, there is only one copy of the song and your disk space is not wasted.

If you just upload the song once, then copy and move the song around between playlists in emplode, then it's still only saved on the hard disk once. What you're copying and moving in Emplode is just a database entry-- in essence it's just a link to a single, static, song file. The song file goes in once and it's pretty much not touched after that.

However, If you deliberately upload the song to the empeg three separate times, then yes, there will be three copies of the song. In future releases of the software, there will be some limited duplicate checking to make sure that you don't accidentally upload a song more than once. But for now, if you tell emplode you want the song added a second and a third time, it will dutifully do what you told it to do.

if I rename the song in playlist A, will it be renamed in every other playlist that it exists?

Yes (assuming you didn't upload three separate copies of the song, of course). If you rename the database entry for that song, then all occurrences of that song will be renamed wherever they appear.

This extends to playlists and sub-playlists as well. If you copy a playlist, you're just copying a link to that playlist-- any edits/additions/deletions you make to the original playlist will appear on the copy as well.

(If you don't want this to happen, then just create a new playlist from scratch instead of copying it.)

Is there any way you can view all the mp3 files on the empeg, or can you only view the playlists from within Emplode?

Not in the current version, you can only see things by playlist. But in release 1.1 (due out soon), there will be a "search" box that will presumably let you search for everything if you wanted to.

#24268 - 05/01/2001 18:15 Re: Simple Question about playlists vs. files... [Re: tfabris]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Is there any way you can view all the mp3 files on the empeg, or can you only view the playlists from within Emplode?
use "Tools -> Export database to CSV" from emplode to get a list of all the physical files on your empeg.

Frank van Gestel

#24269 - 07/01/2001 10:14 Re: Simple Question about playlists vs. files... [Re: fvgestel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I know that there is no way to export the mp3 files from the empeg (short of doing a hack of course), but is there any way to export the playlists for backup? (Because I noticed in one of the replies that you can do Tools->Export....)

I am aware of the issues related to exporting mp3's from the empeg, but I plan on using a notebook computer to do most of my loading to the empeg. Because my notebook has only a 10gig drive, I will not be able to store a duplicate copy of all the mp3's.... With empeg soon to fall under the Rio name, will there be enough legal clout to allow for owners to do a backup of their files? (This should probably be in another post eh?)

#24270 - 07/01/2001 10:27 Re: Simple Question about playlists vs. files... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
With empeg soon to fall under the Rio name, will there be enough legal clout to allow for owners to do a backup of their files?

empeg were following the outcome of a Rio court case when they decided to prevent people copying MP3s off of the unit, so it is unlikely.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...